Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Darkest Revolution's THREAD. MINE. (New WIP Halp!! <3 :B)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moosicle

Hygenic Gawker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:02 pm
Okay. so.
I guess this'll just be my thread.
Where I'll update this first particular post with my newest WIPs that need some crits.

User Image

I did this sketch a month ago.. and forgot to work on it ever since because school sucks. xD
But. Anyway. I was looking over it today and something about her body looks awkward.
Is it because she looks short or something?
I can't pinpoint the problem. =|

And another piece!

User Image
This one, I just started 3 days ago and worked on for a few hours. It's probably the first time I'm trying something so grim. And more realistic looking. It's half-finished... the horns and the backbone is still sketch. I don't really know what to put in the background... suggestions?
Originally i wanted her eyes to look human and not cartoonish but I couldn't get it right so I just took up the larger eyes and it turned out pretty good. (:

Criticism/Red lines really appreciated! <3

(And If anyone wants this... my dA <3  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 pm
The breasts seem a little to big for the hips, I can just imagine her having to wear a brace to keep herself from having back problems.
Also the hips should be about the same width as the shoulders creating that female curve.

Everything else seems to be in proportion.  

illusionwings

Fluffy Lunatic

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

rnage bomb

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 am

What I think you should focus on is creating a uniform figure.
Her shoulders and bust suggest a more stout figure, but from the waist down, she's very slight.
So you could either widen the hips and give her more meat in the legs, or you could slim the shoulders down, and give her a smaller bust to make her figure even.

Also:
-The left (our left looking at it) hip looks funny, as if her bone is jutting out. That line should mostly be smooth due to the musculature.
-I can see you might have fixed this one a bit, or suggested it, but her 'right' shoulder juts too far out. But from the looks of it, you've fixed it.
-The one lock of hair that is trailing down her torso should be blowing back with the rest of the hair.

There a few other things you can fix, but I really don't know how to help you with those aside from telling you to maybe check out a reference?

But really, it's a lovely picture, and you do have some nice knowledge of the human form albiet a few things (but who's perfect?). And I LOVE her face and hair. I can't wait until you finish this, because I can see from the hair shading and lighting that you shade well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:09 pm
Illusion// Haha. That's a pretty interesting thought. XD Thanks for the help. <3

Aellos// Thanks for the help ... and the encouragement! (:
But just to point it out I don't think Im making it very clear in this sketch... the lock of hair is "drifting" the other way because it's pinned down at the shoulder and then the rest trails the right way. (: But it doesn't seem so clear. Should I just leave that out and make the lock of hair go directly towards the right?

Moosicle

Hygenic Gawker

Moosicle

Hygenic Gawker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:25 pm
heart  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:35 am
whee  

Moosicle

Hygenic Gawker

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:36 am
I did a redline for you for the first one here is an attempt to decode it :

User Image

so right now her hips are not in proportion to her shoulders, they should be around the same size. Remember the pelvis is in there, her crotch line should be a bit lower if the hips match to the shoulders. You could add taller legs now and it will seem more natural.

The way her (my view) left leg is pointed makes it seem like she is not holding much weight on it, so as a result the other leg would be supporting her whole mass, so it needs to be more centered (aligned with the center of gravity).

Hope that helps a bit.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:12 am
not to toally contradict you but what i'm noticing is not a problem that can be fixed just by stretching out the legs. what i feel the problem is the foundation of the proportions. 1st off the hips are only slightly larger then the head. so vena is dead on with the advice about the pelvis. but the big problem is her height proportion. on average when we draw someone they're usually 7 to 7 1/2 heads high. but she is barely 6. so basicly what happens is you took proportions for about 7 7- 71/2 head proportions and squeezed it into 6 heads high. just so you understand this is a common problem. it comes from both the fact that we have a certain idea of proportions in our mind and from looking at a lot of exaggerated forms.

well i hope that made sense. if you have any questions let me know  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm
Since it wasn't addressed, her arm would have to be dislocated to be straight out and have the cane touch the ground behind her. With her chest turning in the opposite direction makes it a pretty extreme distortion. Learn to pose yourself, so you can feel where your limbs should go. Using props helps you see where the prop interacts with the figure and the environment too.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games