Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Raising metabolism?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Great_White_Snark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:46 pm
So, dieting causes your metabolism to lower, there's no way around it; that's why exercising is so important.

What tricks do you have to keep your metabolism burning calories? Green tea is the most popular method as far as I can tell, but I've also heard a lot about cayenne pepper and other spicy foods raising your body temperature significantly.

Has anyone tried this?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:22 pm
Eat small amounts very often, that is the only real way I know of. Anything else I cannot vouch for.

At one point a friend of mine was eating no more than a handful at a time of food practically all the time.

It is a good skill to get into for it stops you from overeating.  

Tandahda
Crew

out of the woods

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:18 pm
It's a small method, but if you always drink ice cold water, it helps by burning a bit more because it's having to increase your body temperature to the normal level.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:35 pm
Drinking cold water, or swimming in cool water, will help a bit... but let's not forget the general body shape of those animals that live in or near cold water all the time. Seal, porpoise, whale, walrus, penguin. I'm just sayin'. wink

Green tea helps; spicy foods help; fiber-rich vegetables and fruits help.

I keep a recycling pail under my desk and lift it between my feet a few times just whenever my feet get bored and need a toy. wink

Wii Fit Plus is my new best friend. Building muscle helps a LOT, because muscle mass burns fat and calories a lot, while fat doesn't burn fat pretty much at all. Any kind of exercise is better than no exercise.

Drink a lot of water. 8 glasses a day, minimum.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 am
Divash
Drink a lot of water. 8 glasses a day, minimum.

Drinking water is good but you must keep it at a level recommended to you by your nutritionist or doctor or just the basic 6 glasses a day. Too much water is also bad for you. I learned this by taking a medical class in college and being told so by a doctor.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:15 pm
Drinking too much water can kill you.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 pm
Weight-lifting. Honestly, it's about the only way to permanently boost your resting metabolism.

I know a lot of women are scared to do weight training or only do it with super-light weights because they're afraid of "bulking up" but it's really an unfounded fear. A woman's body just isn't made to bulk up like a guy's body. The only way you're going to put on serious muscle mass is if you're actually trying.

So yeah. Lift weights. whee Another benefit of using heavier weights is that you can produce the same amount of muscle fatigue with fewer reps which is actually more affective for encouraging new muscle growth. And it means your workout doesn't take as long.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games