Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply The White Tomb [Archives]
Herbology (Closed) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:29 pm
User Image

You venture onto the Hogwarts Grounds to get to your Herbology class. You notice at least three different greenhouses of interest. After double-checking the writing on your schedule, you walk into the greenhouse specified for your level. You immediately feel a change in atmosphere as you stroll into the room. Plants adorn the walls and ceiling on either side, and the aromas of seasonal flowers invade your nostrils. Stained tables are organized near one another; each one stands capable of seating several students. You choose a seat, and get ready for the class to begin.

Table of Contents
Page 1 - Intro, Table of Contents, Special Announcements
Page 2 - Rules, Class Levels
Page 3 - Student Roster (Sign Ups), House Points
Page 4 - Class Schedule with links to Lessons

Quote:
Special Announcements
May 28: The professor is back with a survey for the end of term! It's optional though. There will be no more assignments for this term, sorry.
May 2: I may not be able to answer any in-class questions anymore because I've plans to travel out of the country this month, and only have time to post assignments. If you're confused about any of the lessons/assignments I post in the future, please PM me about it instead of posting it in the classroom, I'll be able to answer quicker that way. But feel free to continue discussing other in-class curiosities among the other students if you wish to.
April 15: I've extended the due date for Level I & II. Lesson 2 will go up on April 19th.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:30 pm
Rules

- Herbology is a very hands on class, so some role-playing is required for completing a few of the lessons. How well you role-play will not have an effect on your grade, however. So don't be afraid to try it out if you're not familiar with RPing.
- Post in your house color.
- Send homework & test answers to me with a PM in your house color.
- All assignment answers must be written in complete sentences (excluding multiple choice questions).
- Good spelling is important when submitting assignments.
- Inexcused lack of work can potentially lose you points.
- Complete the majority of assignments given to pass onto the next level for next term.
- Use the Student Message Board or PM me to report when you will be absent. I do not deduct points from excused absentees.
- I will ONLY accept late work from excused absentees and late sign ups.

Class Levels
There are currently 3 Herbology levels to choose from.

Herbology I
Herbology II
Herbology III

You MUST take the first class if you haven't taken my class before.
Students may only move on to the next level if they
completed the previous level last term.

Students Eligible for Herbology 2:
Animekitty47
DarkRose072687
Oshenukhar
Serenity Howlett
Stardust Disaster
The Queen Lana
Grey Gardens
Stardust Muse

Students Eligible for Herbology 3:
meree
techpriest35
DownAzzLette

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:33 pm
Student Roster
Last Updated: May 28th, 2010

PM to me the following information before starting on any assignments here:

Quote:
- Class Level you're signing up for (see Class Levels for eligibility)
- Last Name, First Name (( for role-play purposes, or just your username if you prefer ))
- House

Herbology I Class Count: 1 0

- GRYFFINDOR -
Felle, Kaylin (kstar13) smile

- RAVENCLAW -

--

- HUFFLEPUFF -

--

- SLYTHERIN -

--

Herbology II Class Count: 4 3

- GRYFFINDOR -
Adler, Andrew (Oshenukhar) smile biggrin mrgreen xd

- RAVENCLAW -
Howlett, Serenity (Serenity Howlett) smile

- HUFFLEPUFF -
Willowind, Megan (Grey Gardens) smile biggrin mrgreen xd
Moonshade, Amber (Stardust Disaster) smile biggrin mrgreen xd

- SLYTHERIN -

--

Herbology III Class Count: 2

- GRYFFINDOR -

--

- RAVENCLAW -

--

- HUFFLEPUFF -

--

- SLYTHERIN -
Phelps, Kamalia-Mingan (DownAzzLette) smile biggrin mrgreen xd
Telemar, James (techpriest35) smile biggrin mrgreen xd

Legend
wink = Excused from the current assignment
smile = Lesson 1 complete
biggrin = Lesson 2 complete
mrgreen = Midterm complete
xd = Lesson 3 attempted

House Points to be Added
--
--
--
--

Total Points Earned in this Class

You can see added totals at the hour glasses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:36 pm
Class Schedule
May be subject to change.

Lesson 1: April 5 - April 18
Lesson 2: April 19 - May 2

Midterm: May 2 - May 15

Lesson 3: May 3 - May 16
Lesson 4: May 17 - May 30

Final: May 21 - June 4

Survey (optional)

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:39 pm
Lesson 1
Worth 10 points
Due: 04.18.10

- Herbology I -
Potting Daisies

"Welcome to my class, everyone. This is greenhouse 1; get comfy with the decor around here 'cause you'll be seeing this space for every herbology class I have this term. My name is Juniper A. Basore, but you can call me Professor Basore or Professor Juni, whichever suits your fancy. Please feel free to ask questions anytime during lessons. Today, I thought we'd start by getting our hands dirty! I hope you all remembered your gardening gloves today. If you forgot, that's fine; I have some extra pairs over in the top drawer over there," she motions toward the green painted wooden box in the corner. It seems to be overrun with growing vines of some sort. "Just brush off the plants before you open it; they don't bite, I promise. Aaaanywho... where was I? Oh right...

"We start with a simple exercise in gardening." Professor Juni places a wooden tray of dirt on her desk. In the dirt, students can see several daisies separated neatly from eachother. Unlike the usual variety of daisies a muggle would see, these ones in particular seem inclined to sway back and forth as if they were alive.... well... more alive than usual anyway. "Your assignment today involves taking one of these darling flowers, " the Professor gingerly scoops one of the daisy plants out of the dirt, roots and all, "and putting it into one of those pots," she nods over to the stacks of somewhat small clay pots in the corner. "You'll also see next to those I've ripped open a bag of fresh soil for you to use as well. You will be needing that to fill up your pot. You need to make sure the roots are sufficiently covered with soil, but don't pack it in too tight. Roots still gotta breathe. If you need tools, you can make use of whatever you need in the other drawers, but make sure to put them back when you're done."

At this point, the daisy in the Professor's hand has wrapped its stem around as much of Juni's arm as it can, as if clinging for dear life. "Once you're done potting the flower, water it, label the pot with your name, and place it on my table." The professor absentmindedly coaxes the daisy into unwrapping with her other hand, "Then take out your quill and parchment, and write a paragraph on what you thought of this experience. Put the following information at the top of your parchment so I know who turned in what:

Quote:
Herbology I
Last Name, First Name (( for role-play purposes, or just your username if you prefer ))
House

Once you're done writing, you're free to go. There won't be any homework this lesson. Alright, students, begin! Oh and please be careful with the daisies, they're very sensitive.

- Herbology II -
Mandrakes

Welcome back, students! I'm Professor Basore or Professor Juni if you prefer, but you remembered that right? Riiiiight? *ahem* And welcome to Greenhouse 3-- don't go randomly touching anything in here, if you learned anything from last term... yeah... don't... just don't.

We're starting by repotting mandrakes today. You have your own mandrake in front of you already potted, as well as a new pot next to it-- DON'T TOUCH IT YET" She screams all of the sudden, giving students a jolt.

" *ahem* Now did everyone get dragon hide gloves for this class? Yes? No? Was in the little sheet of needed supplies... ah nevermind. If you don't, that's fine. Don't need them quite yet, though the Mandrakes may give your hands a bit of a tingle if you grab them by the head, what with the screaming and all. Nothing to worry about. Goes away once they stop, but you all will DEFINITELY need these..."

She gives a flick of the wand, and a dozen ear muffs fly out of one of the nearby drawers towards the students. "Put these on, now, and make sure they're on right. These Mandrakes (also known as Mandragora) are still quite young, so their screams can't KILL you yet if you hear it with the naked ear, but it can still give one hell of a K.O. Everyone ready? Why are you looking at me like that? Oh, right." The Professor clears her throat while adjusting her own earmuffs then yells this time, "Everyone ready! Can you hear me now... barely? Good enough! Watch me now!"

Professor Juni digs her hand into her own mandrake pot, firmly grasps the root by the head and yanks out the plant from the soil. The root immediately opens its mouth, letting out a horrible squeal. It's an ugly sight, the root looks an awful lot like a hideous baby human. But before anyone can take a closer look, the professor plops the plant into newer bigger pot, and promptly shovels in soil. "Continue this like so until you've covered the Mandrake up to the top of the root. If you can still hear the mandrake squealing through your earmuffs, you obviously haven't shoveled in enough soil," she yells over her mandrake's cries.

"Now it's your turn. Have at it then. Go on. When you've finished, put the following information on your pot:

Quote:
Herbology II
Last Name, First Name (( for role-play purposes, or just your username if you prefer ))
House

And that's about it. When you're done, please be careful when you leave the classroom, in fact... keep your earmuffs return them next class. Don't want you early bird students collapsing on the way out the door." sweatdrop

- Herbology III -
First things first...

Professor Juni A. Basore sits quietly at her desk, and gestures to the parchment on your desk when you take a seat. The parchment looks to be a sign up sheet, to be turned in immediately before starting class:

Quote:
Herbology III
House
Do you like role-playing?

(( To be continued upon receiving students. Due date may change.))

Edit: Herbology III lesson continued here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:54 pm
Amber walked into Greenhouse three and quickly hurried to her spot. Seeing that they were going to do Mandrakes, Amber chuckled to the Professor, "At least I can't accidentally swallow one of these leaves and practically go insane, huh Professor?" She smiled as she listened to her teach them to pot the Mandrakes, remembering the bad experience from last term. When Professor Juni told them they could start, she made sure her earmuffs were secure, put on her dragon hide gloves, and got to work. With a yank, she managed to get the Mandrake out, it's scream filling the air, though she could barely hear it. Quickly, she placed it in the new pot and shoveled the soil in with it. When the scream could be heard no more, she wrote the bellow on the pot and left, earmuffs still on.

Herbology II
Moonshade, Amber
Hufflepuff

Stardust Disaster
Crew

kstar13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart...
((before I post anything I shouldn't here, that paragraph & little form we post here?))
...Their Daring, Nerve, and Chivalry set gryffindor apart.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:08 am
User Image

Kamalia_Mingan walks in and takes a seat. Fills out the form and waits for the next instructions.

Quote:
Herbology III

Last Name, First Name Phelps, Kamalia-Mingan
House Slytherin
Do you like role-playing? Yes i very much enjoy it.

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:03 am
kstar13
((before I post anything I shouldn't here, that paragraph & little form we post here?))

(( Yes. Only homework & tests need to be PMed to me. This lesson only involves in-class stuff. ))  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 am

Herbology III
Last Name, First Name (( for role-play purposes, or just your username if you prefer ))techpriest35
telemar james
House slytherin
year 7th
Do you like role-playing?yes i enjoy roleplaying quite a bit
*walks into class room and signs up for herbology*
"hello there professor how is your day going it seems you have decided to come back again" blaugh

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150

kstar13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:30 pm
((Whoa, I feel like I wrote too much....))

Kaylin smiled at the rather happy-looking plants. Since her parents were both into gardening, she had spent plenty of time in the garden herself as a kid. These daisies (though a tad bit more active than those at home) seemed just as happy be in new soil as muggle-daisies usually were.

Surrounded by familiar smells, Kaylin went ahead and '"dug in," pulling out her own gloves, to find her own daisy and begin re-potting. The white flower curled its stem around her wrist as she carefully dug around the roots. Then quickly, before the roots could dry out at all, she placed the plants into fresh dirt and covered it gently. Then she got onto her writing assignment.

Writing Assignment

Herbology I
Felle, Kaylin
Gryffindor

This was a fun way to start! I've planted, grown from seed, and re-potted other daisies before, but never have they moved so much on their own! These daisies seemed very happy to be moved. (Plants in general seem to have feelings and personalities to me. Daisies are some of the happier ones.) I like these magical versions though; its much easier to tell what they want when they can move!

"There you are Professor!" Kaylin said cheerfully, handing in her paragraph. Her normal, timid self was gone after the time spent with familiar plants. "Thanks for the fun introduction!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:36 pm
Serenity began her work on the mandrakes. She had done one last semester as extra credit and it was a sinch to do again. When she finished she labeled her pot and began walking around offering help to any students who needed it.

Herbology II

Last Name, First Name : Howlett, Serenity
House: Ravenclaw
Do you like role-playing?: If I didnt I wouldnt be advanced literate ^^

ParkerLeBou-Howlett

Dangerous Lover

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:57 pm
- Herbology III -
Due: 4.18.10
First things first... (Continued)

The Professor looked at James and nodded, "Yes, I wasn't sure I'd have the time. But luckily for you I did. Hmm, alright students, we'll be doing some harvesting today." With a wave of her wand, she levitates three potted plants into the work area. Each plant looks like a ballooning pink oversized egg sitting on a bed of green tendrils which have conveniently dug themselves into the dirt to keep the egg shape upright. From a certain angle you can see that something within the pink egg is faintly reflecting the daylight shining through the greenhouse.

"These are puffapods. They're magical plants that require tender care. Failing to do so could lead to an explosion of growthy mess in this kind of atmosphere which I'll explain in a bit." She prods at the pink surface with her wand, and the egg form dimples inward a bit. "Each of these bulbous pods is filled with shiny beans. Today, you will be harvesting these beans from your pod and putting them here," she tosses the students some bags. "You'll need something sharp to puncture the pod if you want to get at the beans. The outer pink surface is sort of flexible, so put some umph into it when you go in to cut." In a classic muggle inspired fashion, the Professor takes out a knife, grabs near the top of the pod, and stabs almost violently into it. Instead of slicing the rest of the pod open, however, she takes the knife out and tears open the hole a little bit further using her hands. She then reaches in, and very carefully scoops out some beans.

The beans themselves look if they were polished and glazed over as they glimmer in the sunlight. The professor plucks one of the beans from the handful, "Now this is why you want to be careful--whoopsie," she says as she drops the bean. Almost immediately upon hitting the floor, the bean bursts open, with little green shoots wriggling every which way. From the middle of the little green mess, a flowerbud the width of the pink pod bursts forth and opens mere seconds later. The little green shoots under the flower continue to struggle as if looking for some soil to latch on to. She picks up the young puffapod, and places it in a nearby pot of soil where the plant ceases to wriggle.

"Y'see? They're very sensitive to sudden blows. Like dandylions these things, if you're not careful. Drop one bag of them and a garden of puffapods will sprout up faster than you can say quidditch! Off you go then. Use whatever means necessary to collect the beans from your pod. Once finished, clean up, and carefully place your bag of beans on my desk. Then your free to go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 pm
User Image
Andrew pulled on his gloves and started to do the first task. "I am so glad I did this last term, when it was extra credit I know what to expect when it comes to these devils." Andrew said as he put his earmuffs on, then gathered his pot, some dirt and took a seat at the potting table, in front of the pot that contained the mandrake that needed re-potting. He pulled the mandrake out of the earth and placed it into the new pot. As Andrew started to add dirt to the pot, the mandrake made a break for it, but Andrew was able to force it back into the pot with his free hand and added dirt. The mandrake settled down once it was covered with dirt, Andrew labeled the pot with his Class, name, house, respectfully and was about to go and place it on the teachers desk when he forgot to gently pack the top soil, so he set it back on the potting table to do so. After making sure everything was good, Andrew placed his re-potted mandrake on Professor Juni's desk, and returned to his seat to gather his things, clean up his work area and then head off to his other classes.

Herbology II
Adler, Andrew
Gryffindor

Oshenukhar

The White Tomb [Archives]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items