Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Mentee positions filled; Only open for critique

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raen Check

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:42 am
Hello and Welcome.

I go by the name Rae. My artwork gallery and "business" is called Raen Check; it's a little crappy "business," but with my interest in marketing and business, I can't help but to try to gain a little extra money through it.

I am a student at Ringling College of Art and Design, recently voted the best school in the world for digital art (not to brag or anything...ok maybe I bragged...). Through my entire high school career, I was in a very good art program designed to help prepare students for art school, so it's safe to say that I know what I'm doing. As a very knowledgeable person, I try to learn everything I can about everything, not just art. I'd love to share what I've learned and to be the mentor for young artists hungry to learn.

I'm majoring in Advertising Design, minoring in Business of Art and Design, and concentrating in Illustration. I have talent, but my knowledge outweighs my talent; I'm more of a thinker and an idea-generator.

I actually have experience teaching and tutoring. I'm constantly helping my peers improve their skills, and I love doing so.

[NOTE: I will accept people who do anime/manga, but you must be open to doing more than just cartoons.]

Please visit http://www.raencheck.com or my Gaia art shop (in my signature) to view samples of my work. [My Deviant Art]

I live in Florida (Eastern Time) and I'm online pretty much everyday, with the occasional exception.

What I do best:
-Knowing what makes a piece look good, through composition, the elements of art, and the principals of design. More of the "subconscious" impact behind artwork and the thinking behind it that makes it successful.
-Figure Drawing/ People.
-Watercolors and charcoal
-Making things look creepy. (Seriously, I have an addiction for creepy artwork. People who don't know me think I have my nails painted black and hot pink hair or something.)

What I don't do so well:
-Graphic Design. I can critique it, but I still have a lot to learn, hence why I'm taking a graphic design summer class, so this might change.
-Typography. Gotta learn this next year, too.
-Animation. I know nothing.

Level of mentee I will accept:
I do not want to teach someone from square one. You need to have some basic understanding of human anatomy, though you don't have to always do it well. You need to have some understanding of good composition. You need to be interested in attending art school, or some kind of art degree or program. I'm not completely opposed to taking beginners. I'd prefer mentees who were at least 15 years old, or in high school. Don't expect me to appeal to your confidence in your art; I'm not overly harsh and negative, but I will be honest. My goal is to teach, not give out cookies.

Right now, I will accept two mentees, both of which slots are currently open.

I plan to come up with some sort of curriculum with my mentorship to help my mentees learn more efficiently. I will be giving assignments similar to those I received in my years leading up to now.

A private forum/message board will be used to organize lessons, critiques, and information.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:50 am
Application process:

Please message me with this form filled out. I will be testing your knowledge as well as your artistic intuition.

- Your past experience; What art classes you've taken.
- Your plans with art; your career or school plans.
- What kind of art you like to do.
- A link to at least 5 examples, such as a DeviantArt account.
- A brief paragraph explaining why you'd like a mentor, and what you think you can gain from my particular mentoring.
- A short critique on any one of my works. Please provide a link or description so I know what work you chose.

Thank you.
-Rae  

Raen Check

Inkmoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:06 pm
Um.. Hi, well I had art lessons in my freetime when I was five. I really enjoyed it. Every friday in school we have art class. but basically you can do what you want. When my art is good enough to show the world I will show it to people around me. But until then I really need a mentor to show me how to make my art better!!!! I do a lot and mostly abstract art. I am really bad at technical stuff... like with the comp... thats why sometimes I loose my Internet connection. Plus I am a complete Amatuer.. But I really hope I can be your Mentee. 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding I would really like you to be my mentor because I see in your Intro that you are very Mature in you Art. Your choice of color and your Pictures make SENSE. Its like they have a hidden meaning to it!!! Its just beautiful. I liked "The Apple is to the heart " the most because its showing that the APPLE REALLY IS THE HEART of the skelleton thats a cctually sorty the tree. ( I am not making any sense!!!!)
Um well Idon't really get Deviantart so I just posted my pics on my blog... I f thats Ok redface
sweatdrop sweatdrop http://inkmoonsart.blogspot.com/  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 am
A PM has been sent in reply to the previous post.  

Raen Check

The Smut Peddler

High-functioning Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:47 pm
I sent in an app. ^_____^  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 am
Thank you. =]

The three mentee positions have been filled. I will no longer accept mentees, but I will still gladly help out and critique artwork.  

Raen Check

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff