Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
i need opinions please

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

misora yoru

6,450 Points
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Pusher 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:43 pm
Can u please tell me what i need work on? Like shadeing and line qulality and such..Drawing here  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:55 pm
It looks okay. When you shade the point is to define what your drawing. It looks like you just smudged it. With shadowing, it has more depth when you actually make the marks in a controlled way. More like you did with the hair. And you could do alittle more to suggest the light source. Like under the chin, under the lips, and were the hair overlaps the body are good places.

Her facial features and chin are lopsided in comparison to each other. And with noses, you don't have to outline the whole thing. Basically they're suggested by shadows. So since, according to her eye shines, the light appears to be coming from the top left. So light would shine on the left of the nose and the right side would have more shadows. So more outlining would be on the right and less on the left, and it'll look less flat. It's all a matter of lots and lots of practice.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[Faelan]

850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:05 am
I actually think that everything looks great except for the nose. It looks like you were going more with your general idea of what a nose is to look like. In reality, you might have to find some pictures of noses and study them a while to get that one right. Since they're at the center of the face, they're both unnoticed when done right and yet, if you make a mistake on them, it throws off everything else and it's the ONLY thing people will notice. Little buggers. Lol

As for the shading, I think a bit more wouldn't hurt, but it looks good as is. It's good to shade on the inside of lines and allow the outermost part of the lines to remain solid. This takes a steady hand and a lot of time and care, but it's just how shade works on smoother edges (like what people are generally made up of, as we're not blocks). The outline could have remained solid, but if you wanted that style, it's pretty nonetheless and it works fairly well. It just might distract away from the face in a way as the eyes have nowhere to hold on to so as to focus in on the right places. smile

The chin is a bit off, however. A minor detail that most may or may not notice, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to take another look at it and see what you can do to modify it to be more symmetrical.

I hope that helped! <3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:42 am
I do like the shading! People're tough to draw.

Do you use a tortillon? It's one of those little paper thingies you use to smudge with. Tortillons, or cotton buds, or tissue.

It's what I use for smudgework for my charcoal sketches, when you got bits of nose/lip/hair/insertwordhere that would look better without the rough charcoal-y texture.  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

misora yoru

6,450 Points
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Pusher 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:33 pm
Thank's ill take that all into consideration when i draw next time smile

and yeah it wa my first time using charcoal and graphite when im used to just drawing with a mechanical penicl. And GIMP is pertty complicated thing to use but thanks ill try harder next time  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:18 pm
Ahh, charcoal's fun stuff.
It's messy and smudges easily and gets on places you least expect it.

Beats drawing by mouse/tablet anyday. =p IMO, that is.  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces