Review: White Dwarf 364

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:22 am
Generally speaking this is the UK* / NE** version however seeing as the WD is written centrally the content will be the same in the US*** and OZ****.

* United Kingdom / England / Dear Old Blighty
** Northern Europe = Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and other countries able to speak and understand English because they don't dub everything they come across
*** United States / America / Yankee Town / The Good Ol' South
**** Oceania = Australia, New Zealand and other prison colonies of semi-importance

+ + +

What does the cover promise?
Blood Angels. Beastman tactics. And the Blood Fued - Blood Angels vs. the Black Legion.

Editorial?
Mark is waxing on about how great the Blood Angels are and how it was his first 40k army back in the day.

Monthly Releases
Blood Angels: Codex, death company, Sanguinary Guard, Baal Predator, the Sanguinor, Astorath the Grim, Gabriel Seth, Lemartes, Vanguard veteran sergeant and a Sanguinary Priest.

Also we have the Honoured Imperium, another terrain pack.

The Black Library brings us Nagash the Unbroken, Flesh and Iron and Gaunt's Ghost omnibus the Lost.

News
Spearhead is announced, singling out the Imperial Guard and Eldar as the lucky armies to get new kits.

Chaos Rising is being released and Warhammer Invasion gets another expansion.

Articles
Please note: I am skipping the War of the Ring sections for the sake of keeping my sanity and your attention.

Blood Angels. The usual stuff really. A deisnger notes article, showing off some of the sprues, a battle report and some other bits and bobs that I don't really care about.

Old War Stories returns! This time going into the setting up of a good scenario driven game, along with a great look at a Dwarves versus Gobbos scenario, complete with custom terrain and some nice background info. We're left with the promise that the next instalment will be about 40k, involving "a boarding claw torpedo, melted bulkheads and other features that smack of boarding actions". I can hardly wait for this one.

Move and Fire, third in a series about army composition for Warhammer Fantasy, this time putting the focus on a ranged army with some nice examples. The final issue next month will look at unbalanced armies and armies made up of hard to kill and tough units.

A Tactica article about how to best let Beastmen ambush enemy armies. Some nifty ideas are shown.

Jervis this month talks about using certain colours for certain armies and whatnot. It's blissfully short.

Modelling Workshop: Blood Angels. A run of the mill article showing off what you can do when you combine the new BA kits with the standard Marine kits. Some nice ideas and conversions are shown.

Battlefield Challenges: A scenario that pits two army champions against one another before the battle begins.

'Eavy Metal Masterclass: The Sanguinor, an extensive guide on how to paint the model in NMM or non-metallic metals. They really pad things out, in a good way mind you, with showing the differences between metallic and NMM painted models. Most certainly worthy of a read if you are into this sort of painting.

NEXT MONTH
War of the Ring Battlehosts, an Orcs and Goblins campaign and the troubled history of the Blood Angels.

Verdict?
Not bad at all. Most of it is run of the mill really, but to me it is more than made up by War Stories and the excellent painting masterclass.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:48 am
NMM is really the rage all of the sudden with GW and it looks really good when done with proper skill and care. I'm not getting this issue though, I'm going to wait for the June issue instead. Spearhead! blaugh  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:14 am
Any ideas on the new Eldar kits? Is it just the tanks and such?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 am
I'll recap what I posted in the Eldar thread five days ago: a redone Fire Prism with an all-plastic crystal, a Nightspinner kit and heavy support platforms in plastic.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:44 am
Lt. Brookman
I'll recap what I posted in the Eldar thread five days ago: a redone Fire Prism with an all-plastic crystal, a Nightspinner kit and heavy support platforms in plastic.
That's what I was asking, if there was anything new from what was posted in the thread. I'm really hoping they'll do some non-pewter aspect warriors soon.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 am
Isn't Spearhead supposed to be something vehicle heavy? If so, why release heavy weapon platforms then? confused  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:09 am
It's just an excuse to toss out some more random kits and give us a taste of what's to come: Eldar codex.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 am
Is that a hint or an educated guess?  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:36 am
Both. wink