Unsure/Haven't read her books
View Results

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:48 am
I've looked, and I can't find a thread about her books. If there is one, I'll delete this immediately. If there isn't...well, I'm surprised.

My first Diana Wynne Jones book was The Merlin Conspiracy, which I read because the librarian suggested it and I liked the pretty colours on the front cover. I liked it a lot, but didn't read any more of her books for a while after that because I was in the middle of a few others.

Then I picked up some more one day when I was bored - The Power of Three, Fire and Hemlock and A Tale of Time City, I think. Out of those, Fire and Hemlock was my favourite, but I loved the others as well - so much that I started actually looking for her books properly. Our library doesn't have many, but I found Hexwood in the city library. That one's become my favourite now. Mordion was so cool.

Then I borrowed out Castle in the Air (without reading Howl's Moving Castle first) and loved that too.

The only Crestomanci book I've read so far is Conrad's Fate, but I really liked that as well, so now I'm looking for more of her books.

Is there anyone else here who likes Diana Wynne Jones? If so, what's your favourite book and which of her books, if any, didn't you particularly like? I'm still looking for more of her stuff, so suggestions would be welcome too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:25 pm
Oh my god, I love A Tale of Time City. There are three parts in it that made me laugh so hard. The evil teacher is the greatest character she's ever come up with. Period. I also liked... Deep Secret, I believe it was. Hexwood I didn't like so much. Too much identity confusion and people switching around insanely and stuff like that. Howl's Moving Castle was great, but I have to re-read it. Castle in the Air was good, but I liked Howl's Moving Castle better. Dogsbody I read about two years ago, and it'd probably be a better book for me to have read when I was in late elementary school or early middle school, not high school. I've never even heard of Conrad's Fate, and I thought I owned all the Chrestomanci books. I got them as two double books, volume one and two. I will have to check this other one out. Witch Week is my favorite Chrestomanci book. Though the other ones are great, too, that one just appealed to me more. Read Dark Lord of Derkholm and The Year of the Griffin. Year of the Griffin is a sequel to Dark Lord of Derkholm. Both are such good books. They were, I believe, the first books I ever read by Diana Wynne Jones. Wonderful, wonderful books. I prefer Dark Lord of Derkholm over the other one, but The Year of the Griffin is still really good.  

NightIntent
Captain

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:56 pm
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:40 am
I love Charmed Life, Howl's Moving Castle and The Lives of Christopher Chant best. Something about other worlds has always appealed to me. I haven't read Witch Week in ages but I'll make sure to soon.  

Merlinssister

isidar_mithram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:45 am
I've read all her books. I tend to do that when I find an author I like. Let's see..the first book I read by her was Charmed Life and I love every book in the Chrestomanci series. My favourites out of them are..Charmed Life and Conrad's Fate. I started reading The Merlin Conspiracy but quickly lost intrest in it. I might try again another day. I didn't particularly like Hexwood and found it rather hard to follow at times. Oh! And I absolutely loved te Power of Three.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:34 pm
I liked her a lot when I was younger and still do, but liked her more when I was younger. I still really like her though, she's good, but not my favorite author or anything. I can't remember any of the titles so I can't recommend any of them or say what my favorites were, sorry.  

see trees

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:57 pm
I started re-reading volume 1 of the Chronicles of Chrestomanci yesterday. Big mistake. I don't mean reading it. I mean starting it before I'd done my homework. I kept pushing my times to do homework back, because I wanted to read it. I finished the first book today, and started on the second. I'd forgotten how good they are. I'm gonna read volume 2, whenver I can figure out where I put it. Probably somewhere at my mom's house, but I really can't remember. After that, I plan to re-read The Dark Lord of Derkholm, followed by The Year of the Griffin. Then I'll have exhausted the small supply of Diana Wynne Jones books that I own.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:27 am
|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

Lots of people seem to find Hexwood hard to follow, but I really loved it and could follow it perfectly well. I loved that book so much! Mordion was awesome.

|~*^.[Shadow was here].^*~|

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Claudia de Lenfent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:09 am
I've read Dark Lord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin. I liked the first better than the second.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:32 pm
|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

Haven't read either of those - I'm kinda limited by what I can find at the library seeing as I don't have money to buy books (I'm not allowed to work and my parents only give me money for stuff like clothes).

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Claudia de Lenfent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:39 pm
Ouch.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:22 pm
|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

Glad you feel my pain and all that. ^.^

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Claudia de Lenfent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:31 pm
I would lend them to you...but shipping to Australia is little expensive.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:33 pm
|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

Yeah, just a little. ^.^ It's cool - I'll probably be able to find them at a second-hand bookstore and get my dad to buy them for me or something.

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Claudia de Lenfent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:40 pm
...Say it's for my birthday. ^^  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items