Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
For all the college students

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roslin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 am
If you're living in dorms right now odds are you have a minifridge and microwave. So what foods do college students typically keep in their rooms? Instant Mac&Cheese, Ramen, Chips, Soda, Alcohol, Tasty Cake stuff?

What do you have in your minifridge that would make some people go, "huh?"

I know for me I have apples, half a cantaloupe, blueberries, multigrain English Muffins, apple butter and fat free Italian dressing in my fridge. The freezer part is full of Lean Cuisine junk, though I try to avoid eating them (not because they aren't good but they typically have a lot of sodium in them and I don't like to be dependent on them either). Elsewhere in my room I have pretzel sticks, WW popcorn, Rice cakes, Nuts, Peanutbutter and high fiber bread.

Not food but I also have measuring cups and spoons in my room so that I can make out proper portion sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm
I'm not in University right now, but my sister is. She doesn't have a mini fridge or a microwave. She does, however, have a kettle, a rice maker, and a toaster oven. She keeps different types of tea, rice, crackers, some dark chocolate, cereal, and oatmeal. Basically, mostly breakfast or snack foods. Whenever she wants fruit or a lunch/dinner meal, she'll go to the cafeteria. I'm not sure what she keeps in the communal fridge, but I think she had some waffles in the freezer there.

She's trying to watch her weight because she said that the "freshman 15" is true. Well, I know she gained 10 pounds. But she does a lot of walking around apparently.  

frakkin

Wheezing Pieslinger

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm
Woah, toaster oven? I was afraid to let someone know I had a kettle. (They didn't even like us burning incense for fear of fire).

I've been out of dorms for a while but while I was in dorms I had (as stated) a kettle for tea and not a heck of a lot more. I made due with my pots and the communal kitchen more than anything else. I always had broccoli and fresh veg, but I don't like apples and pears aren't always in season. I made a lot of instant oatmeal.

There's a reason I gained a freshman 15 x 5. Yeah. Seriously.

Going back now I'd make sure to have a blender and a food processor so that I could make hummus.

Edit, now that I'm thinking about it I don't think that's too bad an idea to move towards a diet more like I'd lay out for myself if I were back in dorms. The kitchen I'm moving into is much smaller than the one I've got now, ... hmmm... I've been thinking about my pantry idly recently being bored with it.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:46 pm
Seraphsody
Woah, toaster oven? I was afraid to let someone know I had a kettle. (They didn't even like us burning incense for fear of fire).
User Image

Oh. I guess my sister's (and my future) university is less strict. I'm actually planning on getting an induction cooktop for when I go. Them things are fancy.

frakkin

Wheezing Pieslinger

crazyanimefan

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm
My sister is not allowed anything with an open heat source, so most of the time she ends up eating sandwiches of sorts or eating out. She's also gained the Freshman 15, even though she wasnt overweight to begin with so she looks pretty much the same. XD However, her acne has gotten horrible from her poor diet and intervals of sleep. College messes with you, especially with a healthy diet if you live on campus.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm
I'm about to go to college this coming semester. What's with the freshman 15 being so common? Is it because the food on campus is so packed with calories, or because there's not much else to do but eat?  

out of the woods

I Am Smartie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:34 am
Are these mini fridges and microwaves actually in your rooms? o_O

We're not allowed anything like that.
There's a kettle, 3 fridges and 2 microwaves in the shared kitchen. (For about 10 of us)

I ate bad things last term, but I must have either been more active or eating less because I lost 5lbs.

I eat crap at uni most of the time.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:08 am
The dorm buildings at my college do not have community kitchens so unless you're living in an apartment with a kitchen, a townhouse, or one of the houses on campus you are given a mini fridge and microwave to have in your room.

Next year I am going to be living in the Canine Companions for Independence Puppy Club house, where we care and train a puppy for a year and a half until they are sent off to a training academy to become a service dog, and therefore will have a kitchen next year. The kitchen means no more mini fridge/microwave in my actual room.

You guys are lucky to have community kitchens though, because based on what you can do with a microwave or eat without preparation can be pretty limited to unhealthy foods.

Roslin

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 am
Limited to the unhealthy foods, or the *healthiest* foods *ever*... there's no real middle ground.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:16 am
I used to have a lot of soda, chips, and "college kid" type stuff in my room. Now that I'm trying to lose weight, my fridge contains skim milk, sometimes leftovers if I order takeout. Without a car, stocking the fridge with healthy food isn't possible all the time.

For the most part I get food from my school's cafe/c-store, now that they've posted more nutrition facts and I can calculate the points of more options.  

Euthanasia Phase

Madame de Sousa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:16 pm
I have a microfridge which is the only thing we can have since it uses less energy.

If we are caught with anything we get a $50 fine since most of the time if you use those things the power goes out....

The only food I have in my room is ramen which I don't eat often since I've had the box for 2 years and still have some left.
My roommate sometimes leaves rotting things in the fridge so I don't use it often.

@ kangaskhaaan. The freshman 15 is common because in most Unis if you go to the cafeteria there isn't a limit on how much you can eat and some do not put the calories and nutritions on their foods.

My Uni has calories and nutritions on all foods. smile  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games