Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Does picture made of lines good?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hopsy Hops

Man-Hungry Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:10 am
Take the one in my siggy as example. Do you think I should draw picture using a bunch of lines?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:04 am
It all depends... Each and everyone of us have our own specialties. As long as one does their best at a certain topic, it'll turn out fine. 3nodding  

keichaos

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 am
To answer you question: Yes, you can create art with just lines. It's called line-art and it's used in a lot of scenarios, notably in mediums like comics.

In regards to your drawing, I'd say you'd benefit from working on it just a little more.

Things you could improve on, if you wanted to:
- Vary the line thickness.
- Make sure each of the lines are clean and precise
- Avoid using too many straight lines, particularly for anything organic. You can get away with it when drawing cars or buildings, but when you're trying to draw something that's alive, it's something of a no-no. Instead, try using gentle curves.

Also, it looks like you used a mouse for this work. I'd suggest working with paper and pencil in the future. If you'd like to work digitally, see about investing in an art tablet. ^^ Or a scanner.

Best of luck.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:45 am
syrella
To answer you question: Yes, you can create art with just lines. It's called line-art and it's used in a lot of scenarios, notably in mediums like comics.

In regards to your drawing, I'd say you'd benefit from working on it just a little more.

Things you could improve on, if you wanted to:
- Vary the line thickness.
- Make sure each of the lines are clean and precise
- Avoid using too many straight lines, particularly for anything organic. You can get away with it when drawing cars or buildings, but when you're trying to draw something that's alive, it's something of a no-no. Instead, try using gentle curves.

Also, it looks like you used a mouse for this work. I'd suggest working with paper and pencil in the future. If you'd like to work digitally, see about investing in an art tablet. ^^ Or a scanner.

Best of luck.
I hate tablet because it is extremely hard to control.  

Hopsy Hops

Man-Hungry Bunny

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:05 pm
Post the image in the first post. No "in my sig" posts.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games