View Results

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:48 pm
If you're under 18, I ONLY want to hear your opinion as an observer of alcoholism. I don't want one damn post by a 15 year old saying "Yeah, I'm, like, totally an alcoholic. I, like, totally have two glasses of wine a night."

So, Got Goth? Guild, what's your opinion on alcoholics?

I'm sure a few people have drunken family members, might even be a tad partial to booze yourselves.
Remeber- alcohol abuse is different to alcohol addiction.

As a borderline alcoholic/alcohol abuser (No, I'm not making it up for attention, I'm a bit old for that crap) I think that people who are addicted to alcohol should be forcibly institutionalised by their family until they're clean. Like a junkie.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:59 pm
Luckly for me I haven't had any actual alcholics in my family, though my grandpa on my mom's side was a bit fond of his beers on occasion, no one was ever a heavy drinker, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually plastered from my family.

I would say however that alchoholism does ruin families. One person that I used to be friends with.. her dad got violent when he was drunk.... needless to say she spent more than a few nights unexpectedly at my house. It's a horrible thing, and even though he almost died because of the booze, he still went back like an idiot. -_-*

I myself drink very very rarely, and when I do it's only when I'm going to be home for about 24 hours or so. I don't care if I am of legal age to drink, as a curtosy to others I don't drink when my abilities are impaired by liquor, and I don't think others should either. By the way, you forgot sake on the poll. razz

Overall I would say that booze is not only expensive, stressing a family's finaces and causing problems that way, but also can be very destructive when someone does get drunk and does something they regret later.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

darkXmoon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:04 am
OK, get this, I was born in Ireland and I do not drink. I know, odd.

No one in my family drinks really. Every now and then they have a bit but nothing bad. Thats my family though. Now..,my husbands side and the entire town of Russellton that I live in now. They are all;l about 80% s**t faced. These people have a bar or pizza join at the end of every lopsided corner. An its not hard to understand out hear because there is nothing to do except for going to the bar and eating pizza.

As for how to help them, these people are beyond help. I think I would have to teach them that its not OK for 40' something men to wet the bed, an its also not OK for women to go outside naked looking for the mail...on a Sunday.

I don't think that family intervention would work in this area, not when the family is just as drunk. So they only thing I can do now call the cops when they get out of hand.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:35 pm
lurichan
... I would say however that alchoholism does ruin families...

Overall I would say that booze is not only expensive, stressing a family's finaces and causing problems that way, but also can be very destructive when someone does get drunk and does something they regret later.

*nods*

Totally. I had a friend whos father was an alcoholic. Out of his mind every night. He'd say and do things that he regretted the next day (break stuff, tell everyone they're worthless) but do them again that night.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:40 pm
darkXmoon
OK, get this, I was born in Ireland and I do not drink. I know, odd.

No one in my family drinks really. Every now and then they have a bit but nothing bad. Thats my family though. Now..,my husbands side and the entire town of Russellton that I live in now. They are all;l about 80% s**t faced. These people have a bar or pizza join at the end of every lopsided corner. An its not hard to understand out hear because there is nothing to do except for going to the bar and eating pizza.

As for how to help them, these people are beyond help. I think I would have to teach them that its not OK for 40' something men to wet the bed, an its also not OK for women to go outside naked looking for the mail...on a Sunday.

I don't think that family intervention would work in this area, not when the family is just as drunk. So they only thing I can do now call the cops when they get out of hand.

Goddamn, that's insane.

How could a whole community be that bad? But I guess if there isn't anything else to do then, well, when in Rome, ay?

I hope your husband doesn't drink like that.
eek  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:40 pm
He did at one time but he drank a bit to much one night in a public place and got really sick and made a total a** of himself. Since then he hasn't really ever drank. He will have a mixed drink at a party maby 4 times out of the year.  

darkXmoon

Jasta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:15 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:45 am
Personaly I only drink once in a blue moon and its socialy.
I don't like the idea of gettin s**t faced or real drunk... it just sounds stupid to get to the point where your puking and acting like a complete idiot.
I have gotten slightly drunk before and didnt have a hang over, it was new years so hey ^_^

Drunk Drivers.... I won't go there, I'll just say they can all run off the road into a cliff side and be lost under a hundred pounds of rock for all I care.
Its stupid and completly idiotic, specialy since they dont get hurt only the person they happen to kill in the other car. evil

I say drink if you want but drink responsably.

@ darkXmoon
Thats messed up eek
Where is Russellton at?  

Icy-Determination_020

darkXmoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 pm
Icy-Determination_020

@ darkXmoon
Thats messed up eek
Where is Russellton at?

A bit by Pittsburgh PA  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:45 am
darkXmoon
Icy-Determination_020

@ darkXmoon
Thats messed up eek
Where is Russellton at?

A bit by Pittsburgh PA

sounds like a good place to visit when you want to get drunk, hehe
why do yall live there?  

Icy-Determination_020

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:27 pm
Austin won't claim to be an alchoholic, partly to avoid being beaten and partly cause that would be a lie, but he does drink occaisionally. Many of austins friends are alchoholics and it it horrible to watch, they'll steal money from they're parents because they've already wasted all their money, then ask someone who's barely legal to buy some beer for them and then pay them some extra to make sure they'll do it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:10 pm
ONe of my uncles is an alcoholic. We've tried to get him to go to AA and all that but he refuses. He's been dropped off in the front yard by the cops so many times my grandparents have forgotten the exact number. He collapsed before and now he even has seizures. We're all pretty certain that it's going to kill him eventually.

I don't think I abuse alcohol, but I know I've drank it when I've been depressed or angry before (ok, many more times than once).

Raze Krieger

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:20 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:28 am
I believe the drunk drivers not getting hurt as often part comes from the fact that drunk people have a more relaxed body due to being inebriated. Because the muscles are loose and not tense, they don't get hurt as badly in a crash because the impact doesn't do as much damage to relaxed muscles. Since their reaction time is so slow, usually they don't get a chance to tense up and realize what is going on until it's too late. ~_~

Kindof strange really, but you could do a test on your arm. Thwap it lightly when relaxed, and again when you've tensed up the muscles and see which hurts more.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Black Ayesha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:44 am
Quote:
Not all alcoholics would be like your father, so it would be odd to condemn them based solely off his actions. Of course, there are plenty of reasons to condemn alcoholics, but it is worth noting some alcoholics still manage to take care of their families.

Not that I'm aware of. Alcoholism is when the need to drink completely takes over your life, and becomes the sole most important thing, like being a drug addict. All people I've known, where a member was an alcoholic, say that it wrecked their family life in one way or another. Even if there is no violence or anything involved, it's still distressing for children to watch a parent or sibling pass out on the sofa every night, because they're drunk. When you're putting the alcohol first, as alcoholics do, and your family life is taking the back seat, then you're not taking as good care of them as you should be.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff