Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
How the Borg started..... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Spectrum Style~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:04 am
I know this particular theory is PROBABLY wrong but when I heard it, it made me think.....I was chatting with a fellow Trekkie and she mentioned that she had heard the origins of the Borg dated back to V-ger and that guy (forgive me, I forgot his name crying )....If anyone wants to prove that theory wrong with a fact from any of the series or has another theory, post it here!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:07 am
the borg existed before earths first warp flight as the borg where building a subspace transever to contact them to assimilate earth.  

Animefanatic101

~Spectrum Style~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:07 pm
I meant to give evidence from the series....please specify  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:53 pm
well seeing as you used the first movie as the theory first contact and the subspace transever should be counted too, the series dont go into how they started. All V'Ger was doing with that guy was giveing all the information that it had gathered. As was it's programing.  

Animefanatic101

~Spectrum Style~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:52 pm
u've still gotta admit it was a good try as far as theories go  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:19 am
The theory I heard was that the Voyager 6 probe was found by
the Borg, and they juiced it up.

That theory was an old one, and "First Contact" and other
sources argue AGAINST it. The Borg would have assimilated
its technology, assimilated its data, and marked its origin point
for later assimilation.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Animefanatic101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:50 pm
Actually the borg only assimilate cultures and technology that is worth assimilateing but the borg wouldn't had built it a body for the return voyage though  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:50 am
Has anyone read the Star Trek Strange New Worlds fan fiction series? In one issue (I think it was issue 6) someone wrote a speculation about how the borg began. It started very long ago on an alien planet in the delta quadrant that was suffering from a horrible disease (the aliens were humanoid). The leader of the planets granddaughter had gotten sick and he was desperate to save her. So he had his best doctors try an inovative brand new idea to heal her. the idea was that they would inject microscopic robots into her body to target and destroy the diseased tissue and then repair the healthy tissue. The robots were called NANOPROBES. The procedure worked. But it worked to well. Not only did the nanoprobes purge the disease but they went on to replace the diseased tissue with mechanical parts thus turning the poor afflicted girl into a cyborg. Sadly the disease had already begun to affect her brain and when they replaced the damaged tissue they put machinery in her brain. Now that the nanoprobes had "healed" her they noticed that her body was inefficient and they began to replace it with nanoprobe created machinery. Soon enough the nanoprobes desired to continue to propagate and for that they needed to spread to new vessels and they created the first borg assimilation tubules and turned the girl into the first borg queen. Long story short they assimilated the entire planet and still hungering for more in their obssesive desire for perfection they created the first borg cubes and took to space to achieve their goal thus the borg collective was born.  

Saoraan

Saoraan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:53 am
please forgive my horrible grammar. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:04 am
Sounds like a good theory, but it also sounds too much like fan fiction....still, possible.  

~Spectrum Style~

Saoraan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:24 am
victoriasecret_25
Sounds like a good theory, but it also sounds too much like fan fiction....still, possible.

That's because it is a fan fiction. But ... it was published in a book which was endorsed by paramount so I guess that means they agree with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Does anyone else think the borg queen is hawt? domokun JK. xp  

Blaze-kun

Dapper Gekko

DevilsLight

6,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:58 pm
Saoraan
Has anyone read the Star Trek Strange New Worlds fan fiction series? In one issue (I think it was issue 6) someone wrote a speculation about how the borg began. It started very long ago on an alien planet in the delta quadrant that was suffering from a horrible disease (the aliens were humanoid). The leader of the planets granddaughter had gotten sick and he was desperate to save her. So he had his best doctors try an inovative brand new idea to heal her. the idea was that they would inject microscopic robots into her body to target and destroy the diseased tissue and then repair the healthy tissue. The robots were called NANOPROBES. The procedure worked. But it worked to well. Not only did the nanoprobes purge the disease but they went on to replace the diseased tissue with mechanical parts thus turning the poor afflicted girl into a cyborg. Sadly the disease had already begun to affect her brain and when they replaced the damaged tissue they put machinery in her brain. Now that the nanoprobes had "healed" her they noticed that her body was inefficient and they began to replace it with nanoprobe created machinery. Soon enough the nanoprobes desired to continue to propagate and for that they needed to spread to new vessels and they created the first borg assimilation tubules and turned the girl into the first borg queen. Long story short they assimilated the entire planet and still hungering for more in their obssesive desire for perfection they created the first borg cubes and took to space to achieve their goal thus the borg collective was born.

I like this theory and I think it's probability of being true is quite high. I agree because human love to play god. We like to save lives without thinking about the consequences and thus this theory holds true. The life long hunt for endless life. Borg successfully created a life in which there will be no deaths and essentially perfection which humans yearns to achieve.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:30 pm
In "The Return" by William Shatner, Spock explains to Kirk and Spock that V'ger was an example of older Borg technology. Remember, V'Ger was nearly a century before TNG.

He further speculated that maybe they'd changed their goals or reasons for moving through the galaxy in that time, going from benevolent to bad guys. They may also have given up the matter/energy conversion thing in exchange for the other type of assimilation. Or maybe that's a technology that V'Ger assimilated on its way home.

But, as for the real origins of the Borg, I think about anything works. What occurs to me is that that several militaries around the world have spent money developing robots and exo-suits to increase the capabilities of the normal soldier in combat. Limited nano-technology already exists. Medical science has grafted electrical devices onto people to replace sight or lost limbs.

So maybe the Borg were a species just like us that were pursuing self improvement, and somewhere got a little twisted in their cause.

Just some rambling from me.  

Karrn

Wind-Whisper

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:43 pm
I've no idea -- but I firmly believe the inspiration for the Borg came the Cybermen of Doctor Who.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff