Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Freemasonry?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:44 pm
So one of my newest patients is a Freemason. After reading a pamphlet on what the Freemasons are about, (one that was put out by the local lodge) I really don't get what the big deal about them is.

My father is a huge believer in the illuminati conspiracy theory, and the Freemasons are one of the groups targeted by his paranoia, so I'm putting it to you guys, what is it about Freemasons that some find so oogy-boogy?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:33 pm
haha sounds very dan brown. but ito am interested in the subject.  

Doc Dillamond

Collowrath

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 pm
From what I can tell? They're a "secret" society that is invitation and initiation only, bound together by shared agreeance on certain principles (not necessarily religious, though there are lodges that are have religious requirements). The "only if we invite you" and ritualized nature of the lodges is bound to make people suspicious of them.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:20 am
Collowrath
From what I can tell? They're a "secret" society that is invitation and initiation only, bound together by shared agreeance on certain principles (not necessarily religious, though there are lodges that are have religious requirements). The "only if we invite you" and ritualized nature of the lodges is bound to make people suspicious of them.
Exactly.
I recently found out that my father-in-law is an inactive Freemason. Something my husband never even knew.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:30 am
Both of my grandfathers were Freemasons, and one of my grandmothers was Eastern Star (I think that's what they're called).

I found a lot of Masonic stuff that my grandparents had, including a copy of the initiation ceremony. It's not that exciting.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 am
According to those who know them better than the conspiracy theorists (eg, Robert Anton Wilson), the notion that they're really a secret front for the Illuminati and are really trying to take over the world is just silly.

They do have some funky practices, though, involving egregores.

And finally, some of them ride around in miniature cars. Ooooh, scary! xd  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:12 am
We're pretty sure my uncle is a mason, but he wont disscuss it. ninja

Policemen in this country have to declare that they are a mason, because I -think- in the 80's there was a lot of problems with masonic groups having a lot of influence.

That is all I know.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:33 am
My Pawpaw is and my uncle was a Mason, although my Pawpaw is largely inactive. My Grandma is a member of the Eastern Star, as are and were many of my aunts and great aunts. I was allowed to attend one meeting of the Eastern Star, and it was a bunch of sweet old ladies that made delicious northern Louisianan food. My grandparents offered to get me into the Rainbow Girls, but I was already an atheist by that point so no-go.  

Aino Ailill

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:37 pm
Hum. Interesting. Thank you all for sharing. I might have to do more research on them.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 pm
I feel the posts others have made highlight most of the issues, but some of the history also reflects that there was strife between the Masons and major religious organizations.

Many Catholics feel that Masonry seeks to destroy the Church, both the Catholic Church itself and Christianity in general by replacing it with either a different monotheistic faith or a form of deism.

I feel it is worth noting that some Protestants also feel this way.
Link This is an online tract about the matter.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:27 pm
Brass Bell Doll
I feel the posts others have made highlight most of the issues, but some of the history also reflects that there was strife between the Masons and major religious organizations.

Many Catholics feel that Masonry seeks to destroy the Church, both the Catholic Church itself and Christianity in general by replacing it with either a different monotheistic faith or a form of deism.

I feel it is worth noting that some Protestants also feel this way.
Link This is an online tract about the matter.
Psh. Jack Chick.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:03 am
Gho the Girl
Psh. Jack Chick.

Jack Chick is among those who believe everything is out to destroy Christianity, and what's more, they're all secretly working together! lol

I find it funny how it never occurs to Protestant conspiracy theorists how odd it is that the Catholic church essentially banned Freemasonry when they're supposedly in cahoots. lol

Likewise, it never occurs to them how odd it is that the Illuminati is secretly trying to depopulate the planet (with chemtrails and vaccines, of course!), but the Catholic church bans birth control and children are still tax deductible in the US. rolleyes  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 pm
The interesting thing is, Eastern Star was begun when female relatives of the Masons overheard too much. That always gives me a giggle.

As to why conspiracy theories abound - people are intrigued by secrets. Everyone wants to be one of the included elite of a group, however much that is based on perception. In the case of some older groups, like the masons, there's evidence that they furthered each others' causes, but my understanding is that it began as an alternative to guilded masons (hence free masons) and grew from there until it no longer included masonry per se at all.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:15 pm
A lot of the men in my family are Freemasons, and there is really nothing oogie-boogie about them. I think what really gets people paranoid about them is that they are a secret soceity. No one is allowed into Lodge meetings and rituals unless they are purposefully made public for events like installations. So 99% of the time, nobody but the Lodge members know what the heck is going on inside. Thus births the conspiracy theories.  

Aislin Artiers

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff