Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Cartooning?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SomeArtist1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm
User Image This is something I did the other day.. it is for my brothers album cover.. any tips ?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm
anyone...?  

SomeArtist1

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 am
The person's head looks very squished. The head is a nice place to keep in mind what the skeleton looks like. There is alot more space than what you drew. ANd the facial features aren't flat like you drew. The nose sticks out and the the lips are flatter to the face, but still protrude. from the skull. The picture is a slapped-together example of what I'm talking about.

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am
If you're going for a cartoon style, the best advice I can give is two-fold. First, know the subject that you're drawing very well (ie realism). Second, understand that exaggeration is your friend.

What you have here right now doesn't look bad, in my opinion. I think the general anatomy could be improved (of course), but I think it's understood that it's not supposed to be 100% realistic. It's put together decently enough so that you can get away without perfect proportions/anatomy, I think. As a simple image, I'd say it works. That said, I think you could take it a few steps further and make it more compelling. smile

The overall color scheme is nice and I like that you used a limited palette (purple and green can be very fun). If you wanted to make things more dramatic, I'd suggest changing up the lighting a bit. A dark background might also look nice, though it's hard to say. It depends on the mood that you're going for.

I'd also suggest thinking a bit more about what you want the image to convey. Right now the person has a very blank expression. He looks a bit bored, perhaps, or even a bit distracted. Were you going for whimsical? Also, I have no idea what sort of music this is promoting. All I'm getting from the visual is just "generic dj". He looks young, so I'd guess maybe he is into some sort of techno music. You may want to spell it out a bit more for us dumb viewers. xP

Also, just curious... what are the green checkers in the background supposed to represent? It is just a generic design element added in spur of the moment? Personally, it reminds me a bit of smoke because of the feathered edges. At best, it could be his "voice", and at worse, it could be bad breath haha. Anyhow, you might want to rethink the way you have it lain out, or define the edges a bit more. ^^

Best of luck.  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers