Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
need help drawing hands and feet!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXx_demonic_aphrodite_xXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 pm
i'm terrible at drawing hands and feet -_- does anyone have any tips that might help?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 am
1st off don't feel bad. this is a problem even for the great masters. leonardo di vinci had problems with his his hands. wild right?

and ways. the key to drawing hands and feet are kinda simple.

i'll start with hands cause they're much more difficult to do. remember hands have like 20 some bones in them making them the most complicated thing you can draw on the human body. draw the palm as a kinda like flat cube( you know what i mean right?) now you need to remember 2 things the 4 fingers don'e sit flat on the palm they sit on a kinda arch. so kinda arch out the top of the cubey thing and 2ndly think of the hand as a tree and grow the fingers out a segment at a time. pretty much the same for the thumb but form it out from the wrist and mid palm.

feet are weird in the sense that they're flat but they're not. from the ankle remember to curve the bottom of the heel into the arch of the foot. but not too much since the foot is mostly flat and subtlety changes into the arch. mind the ball of the foot that is also kinda rounded . and finally the toes is the same thing as the hand grow them out. but not too much cause long toes can be weird

hope that helps some if you have any more questions let me know  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Nemai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 am
Hands and feet are my big problem as well, and I struggle every day to learn xD

Even though I'm in the same boat as you I'll try to give you some advice ; D.

First out; Ofc, practice: I try to draw my own hands/feet all the time, although that mostly fails but it helps me to understand the principles of the hand/feet movement : D.
I might recommend checking out some tutorials, which I usually do, to learn how other artist think when they draw hands : D
I searched for some hand tutorials for you, this is a great site and I use it all the time~
Hands:
Handtutorials
Feet:
Feet tutorials

Good luck with drawing and please tell me if you find some awesome way to learn hand/feet xD ... ~

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:22 pm
DRAW YOUR BEST AND DONT BE SAD  

Lil xxxjasminexxx

TehHappyPill

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:48 pm
look carefully at the joints in your own hands and the angles and thickness
a finger does not look like noodle with parallel sides
think of the muscle underneath and how it effects the skinand its shape

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm
Draw your own hands and feet.

Break up the hands and feet into simple shapes while keeping in mind the natural movement of each part of the hands or feet. For hands specifically, also keep in mind how the parts of the palm fold over when carrying objects.

Now I don't normally draw feet often because characters I draw often have shoes. Anyway, I basically draw a simple shoe shape for the flat underpart of the foot. Then I draw that ramp looking shape in the front of the foot and then the ankles from there.

Here are some tutorials you can look at. Links 3 are in Japanese, but they're generally is about turning the hands and feet into simple shapes so you can construct them easier.

Hands: Link 1 Link 2
Feet: Link 3

Yeah...and there's plenty of art anatomy books on how to construct hands and feet too. So you can check them out on your own.  

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

Ig-Knighted

10,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 am
xXx_demonic_aphrodite_xXx
i'm terrible at drawing hands and feet -_- does anyone have any tips that might help?

Join the club rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 pm
Oh Trust me I'm with you there lol Hands and feet aren't easy well in my opinion ^^;;
But what I found to help me was looking at my own hands and my own feet
I even asked some of my friends if they could pose their hands/feet for me to draw
and they were all the more willing to do it ^^
I liked that because theres all different types of hands and feet so you get a more broad aspect on how to draw hands and feet.
It really helped me, I also looked up and did a lot of researching on tutorials on feet and hands. I think i studied them for hours xD
And slowly but surely I started getting better and they started getting easier :3
I think these tutorial helped me alot with hands:
Hand tutorial
hand tutorial 2

And these tutorials helped me with feet:
foot tutorial
Foot tutorial 2
Gud luck
smile

Generic Label

IRL Noob

11,200 Points
  • Flatterer 200