Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
??What do you think??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do You Like My Art?
  Do not like?
  Do you like?
  Needs improvement ?
  Doesnt need improvement?
View Results

Aika Yumiro

3,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:21 pm
Welp here are some examples of my art. I think i can do better and every says that they're amazing but i dont think so. I want to improve so give me tips k ^^

[x]
[x]
[x]
[x]
[x]
[x]
[x]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:11 am
I like your art, but there's always room for improvement. smile  

Shadowpal

5,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200

Aika Yumiro

3,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:23 pm
yes there is always room for improvement but what?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:50 pm
well i have no room to say this but when u have any of limbs straight out u often bend the bone, like a couple of them have the legs bowed  

wow its byron

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:10 am
I would definitely suggest drawing from life for a while because you clearly have no true conception of how the human body is made up. This is especially evident in how you draw shoulders and necks, which are too narrow and sloping to be a stylized representation of real life.

Stop being afraid to draw hands and feet because if you never draw them, you'll never learn how. Practice drawing a few isolated hands and feet in different angles and poses, in all likelihood you have a few of your own to look at. Also, the bodies of the people you draw have no structure, and it doesn't look like they have any room for organs. This is kind of normal in "anime art," but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. wink

Most people on Gaia will like your style, I'm sure, but that doesn't necessarily make it correct. On the plus side, you seem to be good at getting the movement and gesture of Gaia items down. I want to see something NOT related to Gaia to see if that movement continues when you aren't directly copying items.

You have potential to become much better with a few years of practice. Hopefully I didn't sound too harsh, and good luck!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:15 pm
If you are looking for something immediate (which you probably are ^_^): In every piece you have the shoulders sloping too much. Just imagine having to stand like some of your characters all day... that would not be fun. Try working on one specific area at a time. You will see progress faster and it will keep you motivated. Good luck.

As for the coloring try more darks and lights. Of the ones you have Picture 14 is the best (in my opinion)  

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Aika Yumiro

3,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:38 pm
Pomato u did kinda sound harsh talk2hand
but i c where ur gettin at but thing is i luv drawing anime style
not life-like or anythin like that
but i understand
3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:30 pm
Pomato is right, though. Even if anime will always be your style, you will benefit tremendously from studying realistic anatomy and doing life drawings. Anime is based on reality; it's just a tweaked version of it. If you don't know its foundations, if you don't have a good understanding of what it's based off of, it's going to affect your work negatively.

Now, when someone tells you to study real anatomy, it doesn't mean you have to stop drawing in anime style. Continue drawing in anime style, but do some realistic practices on the side. (When you do this, avoid copying from photos; draw real people in front of you instead) Art classes are a great place to do it. 3nodding

You do not need to start doing it right now. But in the future, if you ever feel like you've hit a snag in terms of improving your anatomy, you know what to do. Take my word for it; I'm an anime style artist myself.  

keiiii

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff