Welcome to Gaia! ::

8th Annual User Run Ball

Back to Guilds

The planning guild for the 8th Annual Ball. Wanna help? 

Tags: Creativity, User-Based, Annual, Artists, Ball 

Reply Recycle Bin
This ball needs perspective of original intentions. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:03 pm
I have brought this concern up with the Bliss and Psycho and bliss has seen this also the same stuff I will be placing in this first post. It will start out in paragraph form but will go to the list. In the list I will place the ones that the ball veered away from will be in red. So read on.

Since day 1 of the first annual ball, the originators had a vision in mind of how it would lead. They knew what was good for the ball. In past year and a half, the ball has been veering away from the intentions, and it has been affecting it bad. There has been bickering, and the 7th annual ball almost never happened. The following were intentions of the ball during planning and during the actual ball.

1) The ball is not a contest on which room is best
2) The ball is not a which co-host can create the best and most expensive avi contest

3) The ball is just a user run event where the members can hangout and have fun with some RP added in.
4) During the ball, it doesn't matter how your avi dresses, how awesome your RP skills are or how rich or poor you are. All that matters is that you make the ball fun.
5) All that matters during the ball is that you be yourself and have fun.
6) It doesn't matter who has the best contests or prizes, or even if you have contests or prizes.
7) Don't just think because you are a host you have control over everything in your room, and then expect other hosts to follow your orders.
8 ) Not recognizing the exact same people every ball, give credit to more people to start bringing out the beauty of Gaia, each and every ball

9) Cooperation between all hosts and co-hosts.

10) Don't assume people know what they are doing all the time, as that will make bumps.If you see someone struggling, help them. Don't let them get stressed out do to noone helping.

((Please excuse me but the list of the values of the ball is still getting configured and researched more. Stuff in red is stuff that is really veered off and needs to get corrected.))

What we need to do:

1) Stop going into others rooms and telling them what to do, instead request for something. (Main ball hosts though ca do this if they feel it would help)

2) Start focising on your room and how your characters will interact in the room, before even making any avi's

3) Start focusing on the ball, before making plans for aftr the ball.

4) Start communicating with other rooms asking about their plots to see if maybe the plot could help affect your room's plot (to keep the ball from clashing)

5) Hosts need to really listen to the members before and during ball, as you might get a really good idea. (I noticed, people giving ideas and then them being completely ignored)

6) There is no need for one room to have more funds then the next, to keep this rich vs. poor contest away, and prize/contest competition away.

((please excuse the construction, this thread is still being compiled.))  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 pm
you are SOOOO right. we need to get on that right away!!!! We all need to be exactly the same.

Now if only someone though of a great way to have the hosts work together. like a council or something.  

Anonypanda

Girl-Crazy Risk-Taker

20,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Clambake 200
  • Beta Gaian 0

Mousse Chocolat
Crew

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:46 pm
JEDI COUNCIL! Do we get awesome funny robes?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:51 pm
Your concerns are respected, but I don't think this particular discussion warrants a sticky. I'm going to unsticky it, but allow the discussion to continue so long as it remains civil and constructive.

I'm not shy when I say that I am guilty of almost everything you have in red, nor do I think its entirely a bad thing at all.

Striving to have one's room the best is not a bad thing-- especially because none of us do it in a snobby way. Each and every year we look to raise the bar to make each ball better and greater.

The ball isn't about who can create the best and most expensive avi contest-- but I would hope that no one is striving to make sub par contests for our guests to easily forget, either.

I disagree with 4. I think its important for us to attempt to make our avatars resemble and portray the characters we aim to. That does not mean that one cannot achieve that in an inexpensive way.

I disagree with 6. Its proven that people enjoy the interactiveness of contests. As hosts, coming up with creative ideas is a GOOD thing.

I disagree with 7, too. A good host should keep control over their room and do what they can to prevent any chaos that might happen. They should have co-hosts ready to follow directions. This does not mean such hosts should be bossy-- there is a fine line between good leadership and running a dictatorship.

8 I do not see where we do not give credit where credit is due. Or, I guess I should say, we always strive to even though there are times when people do slip off lists and don't get credited properly-- but that is more human error than intentionally spotlighting anyone in particular.

9 - We have meetings that help with this. I think the vast majority of regular members are always jumping up and ready to help when they need can. However, for the most part, each room is to be set up to follow the main plot while also bringing a unique venue.

10. Oh, its always wise not to assume. And naturally, it is always best to help out when we can-- I think we do this.

However as for your suggestion of what we need to do..

1. I may have missed something, but I haven't noticed where people who were not of the authority, are going in and telling people what they can and can not do. If you have an example of this please bring this to the attention of the captains so this can be handled appropriately. Veteran members, at a fault, will often try to guide newer hosts along.

2. I think you might want to heed your advice above of not telling people what to do and how to do things. It should be up to the hosts to determine their list of priorities. Just because we make a visual representation of our avatar before charting out their character traits is no less useful than doing it in reverse.

3. I don't see anyone making after-ball party plans, so not sure where you are coming from there.

4. That is up to the hosts involved to determine if they want to have their plots interact. It can be complicated process and not something that should be forced.

5. Many hosts do have an outline already in mind of what they want to plan out-- but I would say that generally most ideas are considered even if they are not always implemented. I don't think it would be fair to the host to have to work in every single idea that someone came up with. That would create chaos.

6. The funds that are generated as a guild are divided equally-- there is nothing wrong with rooms having individual fundraisers to make there rooms as awesome as they can be. Additionally, I do not see how it is fair for those who do go out of their way to have to fund rooms that might otherwise not put forth any effort what so ever.  

Pixilated Envy
Crew

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:01 pm
Pixilated Envy
Your concerns are respected, but I don't think this particular discussion warrants a sticky. I'm going to unsticky it, but allow the discussion to continue so long as it remains civil and constructive.

I'm not shy when I say that I am guilty of almost everything you have in red, nor do I think its entirely a bad thing at all.

Striving to have one's room the best is not a bad thing-- especially because none of us do it in a snobby way. Each and every year we look to raise the bar to make each ball better and greater.

The ball isn't about who can create the best and most expensive avi contest-- but I would hope that no one is striving to make sub par contests for our guests to easily forget, either.

I disagree with 4. I think its important for us to attempt to make our avatars resemble and portray the characters we aim to. That does not mean that one cannot achieve that in an inexpensive way.

I disagree with 6. Its proven that people enjoy the interactiveness of contests. As hosts, coming up with creative ideas is a GOOD thing.

I disagree with 7, too. A good host should keep control over their room and do what they can to prevent any chaos that might happen. They should have co-hosts ready to follow directions. This does not mean such hosts should be bossy-- there is a fine line between good leadership and running a dictatorship.

8 I do not see where we do not give credit where credit is due. Or, I guess I should say, we always strive to even though there are times when people do slip off lists and don't get credited properly-- but that is more human error than intentionally spotlighting anyone in particular.

9 - We have meetings that help with this. I think the vast majority of regular members are always jumping up and ready to help when they need can. However, for the most part, each room is to be set up to follow the main plot while also bringing a unique venue.

10. Oh, its always wise not to assume. And naturally, it is always best to help out when we can-- I think we do this.

1. I may have missed something, but I haven't noticed where people who were not of the authority, are going in and telling people what they can and can not do. If you have an example of this please bring this to the attention of the captains so this can be handled appropriately. Veteran members, at a fault, will often try to guide newer hosts along.

2. I think you might want to heed your advice above of not telling people what to do and how to do things. It should be up to the hosts to determine their list of priorities. Just because we make a visual representation of our avatar before charting out their character traits is no less useful than doing it in reverse.

3. I don't see anyone making after-ball party plans, so not sure where you are coming from there.

4. That is up to the hosts involved to determine if they want to have their plots interact. It can be complicated process and not something that should be forced.

5. Many hosts do have an outline already in mind of what they want to plan out-- but I would say that generally most ideas are considered even if they are not always implemented. I don't think it would be fair to the host to have to work in every single idea that someone came up with. That would create chaos.

6. The funds that are generated as a guild are divided equally-- there is nothing wrong with rooms having individual fundraisers to make there rooms as awesome as they can be. Additionally, I do not see how it is fair for those who do go out of their way to have to fund rooms that might otherwise not put forth any effort what so ever.

First of all I was given permission by the ball co-host blissy to make this topic. She agreed with all the above. What I meant with the 7 part is that hosts of rooms should not try to command other rooms of what to do.

Plus I have seen already post-ball plans.

regarding part 4 Also what the all was supposed to be was no bagging about hosts have more gold.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 pm
Panda Of The Twilight
you are SOOOO right. we need to get on that right away!!!! We all need to be exactly the same.

Now if only someone though of a great way to have the hosts work together. like a council or something.

We could make one main team of hosts. I am currently talking to bliss and giving ideas on how to get this train (figure of speech) back on track. In the past balls I noticed less and less pay attention to the contests, but the main thing was I wasn't saying there shouldn't be contets, but that there should be no competition between rooms to see who makes the best contests. I noticed that people feel this way.

Bliss and Psycho gave me permission to post this in the main forum, and they asked me to also. It was either me or bliss, and I don't want her to have the pressure of gaining the complete list on top of all the stress she already has.

Also I am not commanding rooms to do anything, I am only giving some suggestions.  

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:07 pm
Pixilated Envy

also suggestion number 5 was just saying please atleast tel the person the idea can't be implemented instead of ignoring  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:16 pm
She gave you permission to make a debate a sticky? Or gave you permission to make a topic? There's a difference. I fail to see where this topic is helpful, nor am I really seeing what you are offering as a better method to fix these problems you see.

And quite honestly, you're pissing me off. The nerve of you to tell those of us who go the extra mile that we do not have the best interests of the ball?

Suddenly rooms like mine who run successful fundraisers for our room are bad because you chose not to do the same for your room? I don't get you. Are you suggesting we lower the bar to mediocre? If you don't want to go all out for your room, spare all those who do. And I have a hard time assuming that one of the hosts for one of the most well run rooms of last year is entirely agreeing with all of which you have to say-- because she had okayed those of us who wanted to do our individual room fundraisers.  

Pixilated Envy
Crew

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:20 pm
Pixilated Envy

also number 8, if you read correctly, bring in fresh talent each year, the past few years, i have seen the same artists each time.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:22 pm
Pixilated Envy
She gave you permission to make a debate a sticky? Or gave you permission to make a topic? There's a difference. I fail to see where this topic is helpful, nor am I really seeing what you are offering as a better method to fix these problems you see.

And quite honestly, you're pissing me off. The nerve of you to tell those of us who go the extra mile that we do not have the best interests of the ball?

Suddenly rooms like mine who run successful fundraisers for our room are bad because you chose not to do the same for your room? I don't get you. Are you suggesting we lower the bar to mediocre? If you don't want to go all out for your room, spare all those who do. And I have a hard time assuming that one of the hosts for one of the most well run rooms of last year is entirely agreeing with all of which you have to say-- because she had okayed those of us who wanted to do our individual room fundraisers.

I talked to her, i brought all the points up, and she agreed with them, what I did was put the original vision of the ball from the first hosts up, and your claiming that I made them, and apparantly evil now and bad.  

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

Mousse Chocolat
Crew

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Calm down Pix. We have new peoples this year, including me, and in no way has there been any hinting that the rooms are competing against each other. I think this does show what happens when we use the ball for personal gain, however, and we should use this to reference how crappy we can become. Instead of pointing out past mistakes, lets work together to make this ball as perfect as possible.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm
She never said that you made them, she's just arguing with your points at hand, and how you are choosing to display them. I for one agree with her on the point that If we wish to take the extra time out of our own lives to make our rooms the best to their ability, that we are allowed to do so. So yeah, some rooms may look or feel better. but as long as your giving your room 100% of yourself. there shouldn't be a problem.

NOBODY said you were evil or bad, and twisting her words to make it seem like that's what she insinuated is just stupid. It's a debate.  

Anonypanda

Girl-Crazy Risk-Taker

20,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Clambake 200
  • Beta Gaian 0

Anonypanda

Girl-Crazy Risk-Taker

20,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Clambake 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:31 pm
Whimsical Rhetoric
Calm down Pix. We have new peoples this year, including me, and in no way has there been any hinting that the rooms are competing against each other. I think this does show what happens when we use the ball for personal gain, however, and we should use this to reference how crappy we can become. Instead of pointing out past mistakes, lets work together to make this ball as perfect as possible.

It's GREAT to be able to work with new people. New people such as your self bring new ideas to the ball and make it different each year. I'm so glad that the ball is run the way that it is and staff changes each year (even if some of us get dragged back 03o) It's in that spirit that i'm glad the ball changes each year.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:34 pm
Clearly she doesn't understand by the way I wrote out the points, so this is going to be deleted y me and editted tomorrow, to make more clarity.  

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

Mousse Chocolat
Crew

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:35 pm
Why thankies Pandy! I just hope pixie reveals the good news in the next meebo meeting. I... am... like... dieing!  
Recycle Bin

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff