Reply Music - Related Topics
How would you describe it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ametrin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:36 am
How would you describe goth music [goth rock, darkwave or other related styles] to people who don't know it?
After having listened to a lot of goth rock I know and can recognize there's very typical sound and rhythm of the guitars... But how to describe and explain these music styles to people who never heard it? It's quite uncommon and unknown around here [people dressed in black, even if their style isn't very metalhead-like are just assumed to be fans of metal] and if I don't have the possibility of letting people listen to some song at the moment, I don't know how to explain it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:52 pm
User ImageYippee-yi-yay...

Two words ultimately sum it up for me: spooky and atmospheric.

...Yippee-yi-yo!
Ghost Riders in the sky!

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:15 pm
Deep. I feel like the voices and the instruments are a deeper sound  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 am
Just hand them the NIN album "Pretty Hate Machine" and they'll get it.  

Xahmen

Ametrin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 am
Ehh I don't think there are any similarities between NIN and goth rock.
But true about the tendencies to deeper and atmospheric sounds; this is frequent in goth bands, and sometimes spooky as well but not always [I would say spooky specially about the deathrock subcategory.]  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 pm
It is usually deep. Sometimes it sounds very relaxing though, I think.  

BlutWolfV_V

3,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Xahmen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:27 pm
Luz Melian
But true about the tendencies to deeper and atmospheric sounds; this is frequent in goth bands, and sometimes spooky as well but not always [I would say spooky specially about the deathrock subcategory.]

I take you've never actually listened to any of the lyrics on that album
Or even listened to that album.
Oh wait you're right it can't be gothrock, because NIN is actually good.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:34 pm
Zahmen II
Luz Melian

Can't we get along here?  

BlutWolfV_V

3,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Xahmen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 pm
ChildoftheMoon14
Zahmen II
Luz Melian

Can't we get along here?

I'm not entitled to my opinion?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:49 pm
He is entitled to his opinions, as well as to the right for him to contradict himself, or make rude and offensive comments at us as well as calling some of us female dogs. Since some people here do find him as entertainment, to avoid future clashes with this person, I from personal experience suggest, if you disagree with him, to remain mostly silent about it (or limit your number of responses).
Because, I mean, Heaven forbid we disagree with anyone here... amongst "ourselves", that is.

Just saying. ((p.s. I am not responding after this, so this is not a conversation, this is a statement. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to do some work, make some coffee, watch an injured puppy, and plan out the rest of my week. Maybe my tone would be a bit nicer if respect was mandatory on both sides here, instead of usually just favoring a one.))  

Angel of the End

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:23 pm
I think that 'gothrock' is, personally, hard to really put a tag on because most people simply associate it with the fashion of 'goth'. Just like with pop music everyone has a different view.
I am guilty of tending to think of certain fashion styles so I have no room to accuse.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:31 pm
Teriyaki Tsubaki
I think that 'gothrock' is, personally, hard to really put a tag on because most people simply associate it with the fashion of 'goth'. Just like with pop music everyone has a different view.
I am guilty of tending to think of certain fashion styles so I have no room to accuse.
User ImageYippee-yi-yay...

Gothic rock is a defined music genre.
Whether or not the fashion is associated with what have you by the mainstream media is completely irrelevant.

...Yippee-yi-yo!
Ghost Riders in the sky!

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200

Xahmen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:03 am
Angel of the End
He is entitled to his opinions, as well as to the right for him to contradict himself, or make rude and offensive comments at us as well as calling some of us female dogs. Since some people here do find him as entertainment, to avoid future clashes with this person, I from personal experience suggest, if you disagree with him, to remain mostly silent about it (or limit your number of responses).
Because, I mean, Heaven forbid we disagree with anyone here... amongst "ourselves", that is.

Just saying. ((p.s. I am not responding after this, so this is not a conversation, this is a statement. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to do some work, make some coffee, watch an injured puppy, and plan out the rest of my week. Maybe my tone would be a bit nicer if respect was mandatory on both sides here, instead of usually just favoring a one.))

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:59 am
Angel of the End

Jung would have loved to study you.

Also, to answer the question, I'd have to say spooky as well. It also tends to sound aged, I guess. It feels weathered.  

PetreyDish

Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff