Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Cardio advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:29 am
Hey guys~

I had been using DDR as my cardio workout, but my roommate has stopped going out at night as much, and I don't like playing DDR while she's there, so I haven't been able to play it. *.*

So I've been going to the gym instead lately, and I have a few options for cardio: stairmaster, exercise bike, treadmill. Which of these is best for losing weight? Should I do a combination or some of them? Or maybe alternate between them on different days? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks for the advice!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:18 am
Well, according to some Lifetime thing I read last year the treadmill will give you the most bang for your buck. I always feel like I'm not actually doing anything on the exercise bike unless I have the resistance turned up ungodly high. If I were going to rank them:

1. Treadmill
2. Stairmaster
3. Exercise Bike

The treadmill can be hard though if you have bad knees or ankles, but the impact does strengthen your bones as well. I think the biggest con to this piece of equipment isn't in the machinery itself but that people feel a need to keep up with others on the treadmill around them. Or the embarrassment of trying to figure out the controls a bit but if you can get over that and go at your own pace this is a nice option.

Stairmaster will probably give you a nice butt and strengthen your quads and hamstrings more while getting your heart rate up. I personally don't care for them, maybe because I travel up and down five flights of stairs several times a day anyway just from being at college.

Exercise bike... if you can get your heart rate up on it good for you, but I have a hard time getting it there and maintaining it without putting an unenjoyable amount of resistance on it. I find it being my "lazy day" equipment, or when I really need to study but want to make sure I go to the gym too. The seats can be uncomfortable. I just get so bored on them. Maybe if there was a spinning class I would enjoy it but on my own it's my least favorite.

Roslin

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:46 am
Thanks! 3nodding

I haven't used the exercise bike that much, but I know what you mean about not feeling like it gives you much exercise. I thought I would feel the same way about the stairmaster, but it was a lot more intense than I had expected! I can actually run without stopping for longer than I can do the stairmaster without stopping. o.O But I also like the stairmaster 'cause I can put a book on it and read while I exercise which I can't do with the treadmill. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Any of them will be fine for weight loss if you get your heart rate up while using them. They'll tone different bits of you but overall you should lose weight on any of them. The exercise bike is good for strengthening your lower back, so if you have back problems or hip problems then that could be a good idea, since you can lose weight and help with that at the same time. I usually use the treadmill, just because I like running, but on days when I get bored i'll do 15mins running, 15 mins cycle, 15 mins elliptical  

Iconised Ghost

+[Teh Amish Kotex Fairy]+

11,575 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm
I have a question for YOU, Pengy!
Does DDR really help as a work out? I try to play on standard when I can't make it to the gym. Is this a good idea? Two years ago I lost five pounds from playing it constantly, but does it really form any shape/muscle?
What have your results been with it?

Oh, and I love the treadmill 'cause I love running. I don't know if it's the best, you can also give your torso a job while workin' yo' legs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm
A couple years ago I lost about 30 lbs (from ~190 to ~160) by playing 30-45 minutes of heavy mode every single day (and improving my eating habits). 3nodding I doubt it helps much with muscle tone, though.  

__penguin__
Captain

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:57 am
From what I've heard, anything that gets your heart rate up is excellent for your weight loss. I've also heard that doing the same exercises day in and day out will make your body adapt and it won't be as effective. Some people I know have switched on a daily basis (M/W/F treadmill, Tuesday stairmaster, Thursday elliptical, S/Su rest) and some switch on a weekly basis (one week treadmill, one week stairs, etc.)

Really though it depends on what's enjoyable for you and what gets your heart going. (:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm
Does the gym have a cross trainer? Its good to do alternations of different speeds and resistance on those, but then go back to an easy setting as a rest then work up again.

Example:

1 min on lowest resistance, keeping a medium speed, min 2 next resistance setting and increasing the speed by .5

Then continuing to work your way up to a hard resistance and speed then starting over from the beginning, Repeat the process about 3 times.  

SacredDemon17

Desirable Sex Symbol

8,775 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 am
I use the rowing machine when I'm in the gym usually. I love the work out for my arms.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games