Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply Mad Hatter Chatter
Wonderland, Massachuests

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Irish Stout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:36 am
After seeing Lady March Hare's signpost icon of Wonderland I remembered this and had to share it (once I finished laughing).

https://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/stations/?stopId=15415&lat=42.413963&lng=-70.990986

Wonderland is a real place and only... hmmm... two maybe three hours from me? Much to my shame I haven't got around to going there. I'll put it on my to-do list for this year!

If you know, where's that signpost icon from (the one in the advertising thread)?

Does anyone else know of some real world AiW locations? Places named after, inspired by, or just sound connected? For those who actually live in the UK (here you go Azure! lucky!) can you tell us about the original locales?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 am
Hmmm, well there's actually the place where the Liddell's lived and the Christ Church in Oxford.

Door to Wonderland.

Apparently could of inspired the door that Alice couldn't get through, it lead to another garden that the children were not allowed to enter.

Another picture of it.

There's some places that could of inspired the illustrations.

Saint Aldgate's Street, Oxford The sheep's shop in Through the Looking Glass.

And of course the origins of the Cheshire Cat perhaps; the carvings in Croft's Church in Cheshire. The Church and the Cheshire Cat?

The first stanza of Jabberwocky was also written here.

I could try find more later. o.o  

Azure Caterpillar

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am
Wow I don't know there was a real place named Wonderland. I knew he based the alice in the book off of Alice Liddell , the youngest Liddell sister.

Azure those pictures are neat, especially the door. it looks so mysterious.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 am
Yes, it does look quite mysterious. o.o

Found this picture of a statue in Warrington.  

Azure Caterpillar

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 am
Christ Church Cathedral where Dodgson was a clergyman and studied mathmatics and the dinning hall.

Okay that's enough for now I think. XD  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 am
I'm curious why the children weren't allowed to enter. Part of me is thinking dirty thoughts but the gardener in me is wondering if it had delicate or valued (such as expensive or heirloom) plants in it? If so does that reflect on AiW and Alice's desire to get into the garden being that she wanted to grow up, become an adult and finally get to see what it was all about? Is AiW really a child's fairytale or is it a coming of age story? Did Alice Liddell go up to Dodgson, her old enough to get in friend, one day and ask him to let her in on the secret and in return her wrote AiW for her?

Also another Wonderland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderland,_Ohio

I love the sculptures. Those are just awesome. The Cheshire looks perfect, grin and all.

Irish Stout

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 pm
Here's a theme park named wonderland. The creator was inspired by through the looking glass to change the name of the theme park from kiddie land to wonderland . its in Amarillo , Tx

Theme park  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:17 pm
Well actually I think that photo is taken from the garden they wern't allowed in, which is the Cathedral Garden... it was a door that lead from the Dean's Garden (where the children played), I'm guessing the reason is because it was to do with the Catherdral.  

Azure Caterpillar

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:00 pm
Azure Caterpillar
Well actually I think that photo is taken from the garden they wern't allowed in, which is the Cathedral Garden... it was a door that lead from the Dean's Garden (where the children played), I'm guessing the reason is because it was to do with the Catherdral.

Ah well that would makes sense. Having children in a cathedral would cause problems , especially since its a cathedral and would be considered a holy place.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:12 am
Yeah that could be it, that and like Pooka said it could of been to do with the plants too.  

Azure Caterpillar

Alice Rahne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:02 pm
In Amarillo, Texas, there's a Wonderland Amusement Theme Park. ^_^

And there's a Wonderland, Ohio I think, as well.
x.x

Mad Hatter Chatter

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff