Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:05 am
[One Page Debate!]

DA RULES! D:<

Like the title says. Every page will have a new topic in which we will debate upon. There are 14 posts per page. So if you see that there are already 14 posts on a page you bet your sweet a** that if you post next you create the new topic of the next page. If someone beats you to it, either change your post or delete it. =3=

Once a page of debate is done, that's it! No more posting for that topic! D:< No whining/complaining! I don't care if you really wanted to add something to it. Tough s**t, we've already moved on.

And no continuing a topic onto the next page! This isn't the, "Lets continue this one for three pages cuz I want to!" This is my thread, follow my rules or GTFO! D:<

STAY WITH THE TOPIC OF THE PAGE YOU'RE POSTING ON! D:<

This page's topic is:

Food allergies in schools/day cares.

I know of a daycare where children cannot even have peanut butter at home, then go to day care because of one child's peanut allergy. A lot of parents are upset about this because their children love peanut butter foods/snacks.

Should kids miss out on their favourite foods simply because other children are allergic to it and vice versa?
Should children with allergies just be home schooled?
Should they be excluded/included?

What are your thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:56 pm
User Image
That's a good topic, actually. There's so many kids out there allergic to peanuts now it's just ridiculous.
My junior high school (after I left, thankfully) I believe had to stop kids from bringing peanut butter just because one student was so allergic to it.
I think if they're deathly allergic, then homeschooling would probably be the best option, since that's where they know for sure they won't come in contact with it. Or be near it, for that matter.

Ω

Letter-W

Shy Star

Lady Kira X

Caring Cleric

10,300 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:07 pm
What if you were that one kid that was deathly allergic to peanuts and everyone wished you were a stay at home kid. All because someone wanted to eat a snack

You just want to go to school and be normal just like everyone else.
you cant help it that youre allergic.

I think its common courtesy to not have the food around.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:12 pm
Lady Kira X
What if you were that one kid that was deathly allergic to peanuts and everyone wished you were a stay at home kid. All because someone wanted to eat a snack

You just want to go to school and be normal just like everyone else.
you cant help it that youre allergic.

I think its common courtesy to not have the food around.

I agree. When I was in High school a girl died because her BF had a P&J sandwich and then kissed her. She had a allergic reaction because a little was still in his mouth.

I know a girl whos allergic to aloe to the point that her skin cracks so if someone uses lotion with aloe in it she can't touch then for fear of her skin cracking and bleeding.

Its just helpful and kind to avoid certion things or replace then with others. There is a knew peanut butter type spread thats acually made from walnuts for those who are allergic to peanuts  

Z-MusicalChairMassacre-U

The heart of reality

5,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:27 pm
The poor girl!

I think that if there is a more common food allergy-likes nuts-then yes, it should be expected that it will not enter school. But to ban it from eating it, then going to a place is a little ridiculous. But I don't understand why, if someone knows they could go into anaphylactic shock, shouldn't they carry an epi-pen just in case?

I also think that if a food allergy is less severe and can be controlled, then there should be no problem. In my school we can't have bananas because ONE person in seven hundred odd is allergic. I think that's a little much-especially since that one person is rarely in school, because they pip off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 am
well my school is a "peanut-free environment"
so none of the food is cooked with peanut oil,
and if we bring peanuts to school, we must wash our hands right after we eat them.

i think not allowing kids to eat peanut butter before school is a little over-the-top.

and i agree that if a kid is deathly allergic to peanuts, they should be homeschooled. because, sure, you'd WANT to go to school like a normal kid, but if it's to a point that you could DIE from being exposed, i think you'd be better off being home where you're sure you won't be exposed to peanuts, and everyone else can enjoy their pb&j.  

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

minisailormon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
I am allergic to milk so I just dont get a drink during lunch unless if I buy it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:12 am
With a common allergy like nuts where so many people are allergic to the airborne molecules, I don't think that banning the substance from a public space is unreasonable. Especially if it is known that someone in the area would die if they could smell peanut butter. Even if people carry an epipen, they usually still need to go to the hospital. If the kid likes peanut butter so much, they can have it after school when they are at home.

Keeping kids who are deathly allergic to nuts at home for school does them no favors. You can't keep them in a bubble indefinitely. Eventually they will have to leave home and go find work. At least having them in public school teaches them how to avoid the allergen, and what their warning signs are.

Now, that is for airborne allergens. Nuts, perfumes, etc. When I go into a new public space where I will be working or spending time I always check on the allergies of the people there. If people are allergic to nuts in my workplace, I go nut free. If there is a sensitivity to smells, I don't wear perfume. It isn't that much of an inconvenience to me, and it makes their life better.

It is impossible to ban every allergen. There are just too many of them. I feel like a leper when I go out and people eat things around me that I can't touch, but I don't feel like I need to ban wheat from where I go. As long as I'm careful and keep away from eating things that wheat have touched I'll survive. I can't work in the food industry anymore, but that's a personal limitation. Non-airborne allergens are the responsibility of the one who is allergic.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:27 am
--Anorexic beauty queen, with painted eyes so toxic...--

In my personal opinion, if it's to the point where all the kids in the school have to stop eating it even when they are at home, for only one or two kids, those kids should just be home-schooled.

Other than that, maybe there could be an area where kids could eat their alergen-filled foods, and have the allergic kids not go there?
Like an open space. A corner of the playground, perhaps?

--...Flowers painted on her back, centerfold erotic--

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:50 am
RosesFallingLikeRain
Other than that, maybe there could be an area where kids could eat their alergen-filled foods, and have the allergic kids not go there?

See, for a lot of allergies, that wouldn't work. I have a friend with a nut allergy. She doesn't go the anaphylactic route, but if someone eats nuts and breaths on her within about an hour, she will react. If someone has peanut residue on their hands and touches a doorknob, then she touches the doorknob she will react. And she will react very badly if someone cooks with peanut oil in the same building as her.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:59 am
faretheewell
RosesFallingLikeRain

See, for a lot of allergies, that wouldn't work. I have a friend with a nut allergy. She doesn't go the anaphylactic route, but if someone eats nuts and breaths on her within about an hour, she will react. If someone has peanut residue on their hands and touches a doorknob, then she touches the doorknob she will react. And she will react very badly if someone cooks with peanut oil in the same building as her.

Ah.
I haven't seen anything like that.
I know my mom is allergic, with anaphylactic reactions to nearly everything she's allergic to. (which is a lot).
Yet my brother and I can eat it freely in the house. She just can't eat it.
She can smell, and touch it, but not eat it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:13 pm
I'm surprised no one has brought up the possibility of having special daycares that could cater to these childrens needs.  

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

LyricalSoul93

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 pm
Like Farethewell said, homeschooling these kids wouldn't do them any favours. They still have to go out into public areas sometime, and on those occasions they will have to look after themselves with regards to their allergies.
I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask parents not to pack foods for their kids that will give other kids allergic reactions (airborne allergens or not) especially in a primary school or daycare where to kids aren't always as careful as they need to be. In a high school or work environment, people should be able to take care of themselves in regard to non airborne allergens, but with some things like peanuts you really can't be to careful.
I just think it's ridiculous to say that some kids should be homeschooled simply so other kids can eat peanut butter. Have we got our priorities right here? Bareing in mind that not all parents are in the financial position or have the appropriate education to homeschool, are we suggesting that these kids should not be allowed a decent education just because of their allergies?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:35 am
aecatgirl
Like Farethewell said, homeschooling these kids wouldn't do them any favours. They still have to go out into public areas sometime, and on those occasions they will have to look after themselves with regards to their allergies.
I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask parents not to pack foods for their kids that will give other kids allergic reactions (airborne allergens or not) especially in a primary school or daycare where to kids aren't always as careful as they need to be. In a high school or work environment, people should be able to take care of themselves in regard to non airborne allergens, but with some things like peanuts you really can't be to careful.
I just think it's ridiculous to say that some kids should be homeschooled simply so other kids can eat peanut butter. Have we got our priorities right here? Bareing in mind that not all parents are in the financial position or have the appropriate education to homeschool, are we suggesting that these kids should not be allowed a decent education just because of their allergies?

As the final word on this subject: I agree with the above, and I would like to add one more point.

Having children with allergies in public schools teaches diversity and sensitivity to the "normal" children. If there is someone in your class who has to bring rice cakes to school instead of a sandwich, it teaches you that not everyone is the same. If you have to stop eating peanuts at school because your friend might die, it teaches you to be sensitive to the needs and suffering of others. This opens the door to discussions, understanding and tolerance.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas