Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Remedies for the Common Cold Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bohemian Oz

Lavish Flatterer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:34 pm
So yeah, I'm sick with a head cold the size of Vegas.

I'm chugging OJ and Black Lemon Tea. I eat hot and sour soup because I hate chicken noodle. The real kind served by the local Chinese restaurant. Not the packet kind. I'm eating Cipro for anti-biotics but avoiding Tylenol decongestiant because it makes it has guaffacin in it that makes you cough more to purge out the evil phlegm. I'll take that in the morning probably or whenever I wake up from sleep. Nyquil is NOT working (as you can see).

So. What do you do when you get sick?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:00 am
I think this is more a question for the chat thread...or the So You Wanna... thread.

But, in the spirit of its existence:

I tend to drink ample amounts of Echinacea tea and usually some sort of soup with some peppers. I also get lots of sleep and usually write something about how much I hate my cold...

But I get over colds very quickly (I'm usually out for a day or so). I got over my tonsillitis surgery in five days and the doctor said I would be out for two weeks. I was rather proud of myself, I must say.

I'm a tough old boy, takes a lot to get me down. I have a constitution of 20!

(Sorry, just got back from a gaming session >>)  

Cunning Witch Angus

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 am
I punch the disease in the goddamn face until it relents. Granted, this does frequently mean I'm punching myself in the gut, but dammit! I refuse to let an illness beat me! Only I'm allowed to do that!

....wait  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 am
Arcanist Angus
I think this is more a question for the chat thread...or the So You Wanna... thread.

But, in the spirit of its existence:

I tend to drink ample amounts of Echinacea tea and usually some sort of soup with some peppers. I also get lots of sleep and usually write something about how much I hate my cold...

But I get over colds very quickly (I'm usually out for a day or so). I got over my tonsillitis surgery in five days and the doctor said I would be out for two weeks. I was rather proud of myself, I must say.

I'm a tough old boy, takes a lot to get me down. I have a constitution of 20!

(Sorry, just got back from a gaming session >>)

I envy your constitution level, because my immunities suck. I'm probably still going to have this thing for another week. But I'll try Echinacea some time. Hopefully that will help. The hot-and-sour soups have pepper sauce mixed in with it. So that's covered. I'm writing some stuff but avoiding the topic of colds to avoid reminding myself I have one.

But another funny thing I remember I used to do was play X-Men Legends 2 on PS2. For some reason, that game has healing properties. I can't explain it. But I get over hangovers and sickness faster when playing it. I gotta wait until my boyfriend is at work though.  

Bohemian Oz

Lavish Flatterer

Bohemian Oz

Lavish Flatterer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 am
Cyrus the Elder
I punch the disease in the goddamn face until it relents. Granted, this does frequently mean I'm punching myself in the gut, but dammit! I refuse to let an illness beat me! Only I'm allowed to do that!

....wait

Win for you on that one.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:23 am
Scandalously long, hot, showers accompanied by loud singing. My white blood cells are pretty baller (more so since I improved my diet), but I am prone to developing bronchitis from minor colds. Someone told me once that singing at the top of your lungs is a good way to prevent it (because I don't use my full lung capacity or something), and it seems to work pretty well for me. Maybe it's just the vibrations of my off-key alto shaking phlegm off my mucous membranes. I haven't had to take antibiotics in over a year, come to think of it. Anyway, the point is that steam combined with vocalization make me feel comforted and proactive at the same time.  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 am
demisara
Scandalously long, hot, showers accompanied by loud singing. My white blood cells are pretty baller (more so since I improved my diet), but I am prone to developing bronchitis from minor colds. Someone told me once that singing at the top of your lungs is a good way to prevent it (because I don't use my full lung capacity or something), and it seems to work pretty well for me. Maybe it's just the vibrations of my off-key alto shaking phlegm off my mucous membranes. I haven't had to take antibiotics in over a year, come to think of it. Anyway, the point is that steam combined with vocalization make me feel comforted and proactive at the same time.

Oh, also, there's these tablet things that you put in the floor of the shower with you, and the water dissolves it and releases this stuff that clears your sinuses. I don't remember who makes them, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:36 am
I just got strep throat, so right now I'm taking antibiotics.

If I'm combating a normal cold, I usually drink a lot of liquid. Ginger, lemon, honey, echinacea tea is my favorite. I get out my biggest pot, throw all the ingredients in and let it simmer on the stove all day.  

Astrox

Bohemian Oz

Lavish Flatterer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am
demisara

I can see the logic in that, with the singing. Sadly, the cold took my throat pretty quickly so it's hard to talk. But I have been taking lots of hot showers.

Also, your sig is the win!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 am
Astrox
I just got strep throat, so right now I'm taking antibiotics.

If I'm combating a normal cold, I usually drink a lot of liquid. Ginger, lemon, honey, echinacea tea is my favorite. I get out my biggest pot, throw all the ingredients in and let it simmer on the stove all day.

I might try that sometime. I have black lemon and green tea w/ ginger. But that's about it.  

Bohemian Oz

Lavish Flatterer

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 pm
you said you have a sore throat as well?

one of my fave fave fave things for a sore throat is hot campbells tomato soup. i had a sinus infection and laryngits at the same time last year and my throat swelled up so bad that i had trouble swallowing solid foods and a friend brought me some cans of tomato soup. i drank it from a mug just because it was easier >.< but still, it was win.
i almost never finished a whole can though because once it starts to cool down, even slightly, it tastes aweful xp  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:39 pm
Spearmint is my wonder-drug. It helps me for just about everything.

Also, have you tried mentholatum (Vick's chest rub). I find either rubbing it on my chest/near nose or just breathing some in helps with congestion a lot.

I am fortunate to live in New Mexico so I usually eat green chile with everything as it clears out your sinuses entirely. However, I suppose the same principle could be applied to other spices as well, though I would particularly suggest cayenne pepper.  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Bohemian Oz

Lavish Flatterer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:43 pm
My grandma had me huffing Vick's Vapor Rub mixed in water and heated up in a bowl. It's pretty handy but you have to back away from it after every huff because it's got some fierce kickback. One of the handiest tricks she taught me that day.

I'm taking some Tussin for cough medicine.

Ginger green tea has also come in handy.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:53 am
I have a cold currently. I tend to just do things to minimize the symptoms then sit around feeling sorry for myself until it has gone.

If I have a sore throat I have tea with milk, as I find it soothing. Otherwise I drink green tea because it's nice and refreshing.
Increasing fluid intake is a must!

I also use sudafed nasal spray to unblock my sinuses so I can breath and function in society witout snotting everywhere. ninja  

patch99329

Aydenfyre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:43 pm
I've been experiencing cold like symptoms for the past... at least 10 years now (Although it does fluctuate in intensity. Some days it's difficulty breathing, and others it's the other, more "fun" symptoms.). Friends of mine joke that it's a permanent cold. The only thing I can do to alleviate symptoms would be strong scents and strong foods. My family spices foods quite a bit, that we actually have to tone it down when company comes over.

I haven't exactly found anything to completely cure one though, but again, there's a lot to try and keep the symptoms at bay.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff