Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Only eating soft foods, any veggie advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:04 pm
I will be getting two teeth removed (Long story), and I will only be allowed to eat soft foods. I am vegetarian, that tends to not eat eggs or drink cow's milk, and would like to know what alternatives to the products that I am told to "pig out on". (Love the phrase they gave me).

So, rather than ice cream, yogart and jello that I don't touch (non-veggie), what other veggie alternatives are there? I thought about the cream of rice, wheat, oats, etc. But I don't think that I will be eating that all day. And different fruit shakes, but any "on the go ideas"? Vegan ideas are ideal.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:29 pm
When I first got my spacers in I couldn't chew all week. I had smoothies every day until i got the braces in. You could do that, but you'll get sick of it easy and its not necessarily "on-the-go."

One (kind of) soft food I used to have for breakfast was soy yogurt and something called museli. Mix those together and wait about ten minutes (so the museli isn't too hard and absorbs some of the yogurt moisture). Its really good.

Something else would be pureed soups. My mom made this excellent butternut squash one... delicious! But then again not on-the-go. But I know you can buy vegan soups already premade and most of them are pureed, you just have to heat.

Potatoes, hummus, oatmeal, pudding...  

ikeywii

Nicola Six

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:30 am
Smoothies! heart

Soup! heart

Pudding! heart

Here are a few links from goneraw.com (great web):

SMOOTHIES tag, SOUP tag, JUICE tag, CREAM tag

From FatFreeVegan, my staple: GAZPACHO
and BLACK BEAN HUMMUS, GUACAMOLE DRESSING.

if you want "on the go" options you can make extra smoothie and store it. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 pm
Nadira
I will be getting two teeth removed (Long story), and I will only be allowed to eat soft foods. I am vegetarian, that tends to not eat eggs or drink cow's milk, and would like to know what alternatives to the products that I am told to "pig out on". (Love the phrase they gave me).

So, rather than ice cream, yogart and jello that I don't touch (non-veggie), what other veggie alternatives are there? I thought about the cream of rice, wheat, oats, etc. But I don't think that I will be eating that all day. And different fruit shakes, but any "on the go ideas"? Vegan ideas are ideal.

applesauce and mashed potatoes. if you're vegan, look up Christina Pirello's website for vegan tips- she's probably the best professional vegan chef I have ever known of. I know you probably posted this a while ago, but it's always good to know ;D  

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100

Tandahda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:53 pm
Make dahl on the watery side. Chop up an onion real small, saute it and throw in some turmeric, curry powder, garam masala, and maybe coriander (this is a hodge podge of what I use, it's not always great use your own spice mix if you have one) and then throw a cup of dried red lentils in and two and a half ish cups of water and a bit of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook till the lentils are more paste like than anything else. Add some water if you need it runnier and throw it in a food processor before eating to get the chunks out.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:00 pm
There are several vegan ice creams that are out there that are very delicious if you still did want some ice cream. smile  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces