Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
lose inches not weight

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kittali

9,600 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:53 am
you ever get into a routine and you eat right and work out, but still you don't lose pounds, you gain them? well muscle wieghs more than fat, so it looks like you are getting worse which is depressing and personaly it makes me wanna just go get a big glass of chocolate milk and a cookie and sit on my butt in front of the tv. but do not despair! you should actually look at how many inches you lose, not stand on a scale. say you have a pair of skinny jeans that you don't want to get rid of because you are praying to get back into them. well make that your goal! work out and eat right and use a measuring tape to keep track of your progress of losing that extra belly fat. its a lot less depressing and it is more accurate for what we want. moral of my little speal here is SCALES ARE EVIL!!! i have been working my butt off (hopefully litterally) and the scale tells me i have gained weight, but my pants fit looser. which are you going to believe, the scale or the fact that you can fit into the clothes better?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:24 pm
I agree with you that using clothing or the measuring tape is a good way to determine how your shape is changing, but that doesn't mean that the scale is evil. Knowing your weight is still important and being aware of your current and healthy weights is extremely useful. You can't throw the scale entirely out the window just to feel a little better. I'd recommend both routes-it's very helpful when I've hit a plateau in weight to see that I have toned and lost and can fit in smaller sizes, but I also know that I have a ways to go before my weight is healthy, so I need the scale too.  

CherokeeAlex

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:28 pm
Every once so often I have a terrible week of eating and my clothes feel tighter but the scale doesn't move. Sometimes I eat great for a week and my scale goes up. I don't like the scale, it's why I measure myself around once every month..ish.

I definitely agree that we all want the inches to come off and that the weight doesn't really matter. Sometimes we gain weight because we're gaining muscle mass, but muscle burns more calories than fat, so really it's a win-win situation. A) lose inches, b) start burning more calories.

smile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 am
There was a weight-loss infomercial (oh god x_x) but I liked the slogan. A lot.

"The scale lies, trust your SIZE".

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:59 pm
I believe the scale. Its all well and good to say you gained weight because you "gained muscle" but as a female, its unlikely to be true. If you are obese or overweight, eating less calories than you need to maintain your weight and exercising there is pretty much no way you can gain weight at the same rate as you would lose fat. You should lose it much faster  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 pm
I think its more important to lose inches then pounds. Well to start off if you have a larger goal you want to start by losing a few pounds, but eventually like mentioned youll get to the point where your building muscle instead so it appears your gaining weight. But its good weight! Yay for muscle!!!  

SacredDemon17

Desirable Sex Symbol

8,775 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games