Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
keiiiiiiiiiiiiii ~~~Mar 14 new WIP~~~ Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

keiiii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 pm
Current WIP: click!

About keiiii:
I prefer letting my art speak for itself (you don't need to know that I didn't go to an art school to see my flaws!), but I like following rules. So here goes.

I'm 28;
my primary specialty is lighting, with the second being colors;
my focus right now is in compositions.
My weakness is... everything else. XD;
I did not go to an art school, but I did take Figure Drawing I and Drawing Fundamentals during college.

My dA gallery is here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:57 pm

ASHLEYASDFGH

keiiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:27 pm
Hmm, that's a different pose entirely -- the twist in her spine is gone, but I think I'd rather keep it. ^^ Thanks anyway.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:53 pm
      i wasnt sure if you wanted the twist or not~ but if you are keeping the twist, might I suggest you make her waist a little wider? so it looks a bit more like a back view than a side view? :0

ASHLEYASDFGH

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:05 pm
I don't really see a twist of the back in the original either. The pelvis and ribcage should be recognizable as two pieces moving opposite each other, and the waist area gets the actual twist to connect the two.

User Image

Play around with degrees of turn for the pelvis until you find what you like. You shouldn't have trouble if you keep those simple things in mind about showing the twist.

I think your composition looks like it will be pretty eyecatching, although I feel like you should experiment a bit with the framing and see how you feel about filling that dead space to the bottom right. If that is part of the frame, I feel like the image will balance itself even better.

I think her head looks fine.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:17 pm
Hmm, yours is different; you're lifting the pelvis up a little, almost as if she was laying down on a horizontal surface.

This is how I was picturing the scene

But I think your idea works a lot better, especially with this crop. The twist is more obvious and looks clearly intentional. Thanks so much for the help; I'll come back when I have an updated WIP whee  

keiiii

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 pm
Haha. I'm gonna marry that girl someday. xd

On topic, that's why I said play with it. I was just illustrating how to depict the twist, so you can see the different things that describe the motion and what the flesh does as it interacts with surfaces and itself.

Just make sure it makes sense. If you're laying flat on your chest and your crotch is on the same surface, there isn't really a twist.

It's a good idea when resting to image the two pieces as boxes. You have 4 sides of each to rest on. So with the torso flat, either the pelvic will be flat or on it's side. The body doesn't really rest otherwise without dropping you flat or rolling you on your side. The only way to have that little a twist would be that her body is flat, on a tilted surface. (Like a pillow under one hip.) You can get that same effect using a tilt of the camera and twisting the upper body a bit instead. The arms can prop her up. It won't seem as relaxed though, unless a pillow is supporting the twist.

Also consider that if the twist is barely there, there's not point in having the twist. I think you should push the twist to show off her suppleness and her womanly softness. Of course, while this opinion is an informed one, I have a bias towards showing mass and volume with flesh. And well, I like fleshy women. Haha.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 am
Flesh figures are very, very fun to paint. heart

And yeah, I need to get better at making things make sense. I hadn't thought of actually trying the pose myself until after I saw your redlines.

What I got now -- whee (her bottom half is laying flat; her shoulders are lopsided because of the pillow, but does the picture make sense?)

without the blanket thingie

Also, a completely new sketch I just did  

keiiii

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:02 am
Keep the blanket. It frames the image nicely. (Also, the legs make the pose look awkward because she's not counter balancing the twist. xd I know, so much bullshit to consider.)

Keiiii, the revision is absolutely beautiful. The composition is solid and the figure looks supple and she's got substance to the anatomy.

I'm squinting and I think you've got a nice set of values that rise and drop to make a flow with the pattern. I would experiment with breaking up the block of mid value by making the ribbon in that area come thicker as it comes towards and past the viewers head.

You know what I really like about this one, I get a sense of where I'm standing, looking at this lovely women. She looks sad and I'd like to comfort her.

If you antagonize, there are some slight awkward things, but it's not an issue in this version. (I would still be sure to show the overlapping line on her side that's lifted off the bed, while leaving the side that's on the bed smooth as it is.)

The second one looks great. Just watch how the foot and lower leg fold under the pelvis. (The lower leg and upper leg never intersect.

Outstanding work, Miss.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:48 pm
Hee, thanks. (I'm equally inept at taking critiques and praises, it seems. XD;;; )

I really appreciate your help! It had been such a long time since I was able to get quality feedback on WIPs. It feels great to talk about these issues before it's too late to fix them.  

keiiii

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:54 pm
It makes me happy to hear that. That's why this guild exists. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:37 am
New WIP - this is the picture I've been trying to draw for WEEKS. Now it's finally starting to convey the message I wanted to communicate.

[x]

Haven't done a monochrome-y full color piece in ages, so this will be fun. alt colors

I also like this version -- no fabric, just lots of jewelry and tattoo-y markings, kinda peeling away to reveal the inside? The intended message is not as clear though, I think.

It's supposed to be about an over-embellished, glamorous cover hiding something simple yet beautiful. This is going to be very personal for me, so I want to give it my best effort. Critiques would be greatly appreciated!  

keiiii

keiiii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:13 pm
Updated the purple WIP.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Changed the composition, playing with the light sources now. Compare with the previous version: [x]

I'm not liking the vertical blue line formed by the highlight on her right arm, but other than that, I think this is an improvement?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:03 am
I think the composition was stronger in the very first version. Squint at it. In the latest revision, that values kind of run into each other.

You can try darkening the background. Unless she's right up on a floodlight, you're not really going to see the light coming at her, you're going to see what is bouncing off her at your eyes. That flood of light is flattening out all the contrast you had in the original version.

It's 3 am, I've been working all day and now I'm working overnight. I guess maybe just consider the squinting and playing around with your value variations and the shapes they make across the composition. Remember, it's contrast that draws the eye and make the image interesting. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment, but maybe I'll be more useful on the next version.

I like the gesture a lot. It too is washed out with the light though. I think this will be very lovely. It's already pretty, but could be a more solid piece.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

keiiii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:36 am
Well, I'm planning on painting over pretty much all of the picture so that very little of the current image shows through. When I do that, I'll make sure to adjust the contrast and add darker darks.

Part of me actually likes the subtle colors created by the soft, washed out lighting, though -- particularly the dark side of her face. I'll see if I can take the best of both worlds and incorporate more contrast without killing the subtle feel. biggrin

(Two back-to-back work shifts? I hope you're getting some rest today!)  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff