Lottielight

Beloved Explorer

7,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:57 pm

~Introduction~

Noname is my novel that I am currently writing, it is by no means finished and I am constantly updating the parts that are written.
Due to the fact that I have no idea what to call this for the time being I am calling it noname.

Any constructive criticism is welcome along with ideas for direction etc.
I am not 100% sure of the direction this novel is going to take but I hope you like what I have so far.

~Contents~

Characters
Most useful CC and Ideas
The Palace
~
~
~
~

All of this is my own work! Do not use anything from this thread without getting permission from me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Characters

These are my main characters' descriptions. Their names are also subject to change.

Natalia

Her captivating brunette hair hung down by her neck, soft curls tamed by a shadow satin headscarf. This in turn enhanced the beauty that emanated through her deep blue eyes. She had an heir of nobility around her, complimented by a generous and forgiving nature. Her one fault, however, was unknowingly entrusting those who may conspire to harm her.

Caption: Tassels from her adapted navy tunic billowed in the wind her curls following suit attempting to break free of their captivity underneath the scarf.

Logan

His posture was graceful, even though he was six foot two. He was wearing dark breeches and a crisp tunic that allowed the breeze to cool him whilst riding. He had a belt fastened over this that accentuated his fitness. His short blonde hair was thick and luxurious; one wisp of lightly wavy hair fell down to his ear drawing attention to his bright blue eyes. His handsome face paired with a strong jaw gave the impression of responsibility, wisdom and maturity.

Caption: His captivating blue eyes exposed his mysterious vulnerability in a way she had never before experienced as they connected with hers. He too saw grave misfortune in the deep blue eyes gazing up at him.

King Vonneon Teun

His presence resonating with authority and an air of nobility, King Vonneon demanded full attention of everyone whenever he entered a room. Being exactly six foot, and of muscular build, any could see the commanding athletic young man he had once been. Now, close to 55, he did not train as regularly with his Royal Guard. He had brunette hair and the same deep blue eyes as his daughter.

Lottielight

Beloved Explorer

7,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100

Lottielight

Beloved Explorer

7,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Most constructive CC and Ideas

~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:02 pm

The Palace

Chapter 1- The King

The soft silk like fabric brushed against her legs as she was ushered down the tall wooden corridor to the king’s chambers. A guard flanked her on each side and two more stood guarding the double doors at the end of the corridor. The guards proceeded to open both doors as she approached them. All guards stayed in the corridor as she entered the king’s rooms. The heavy mahogany doors were closed behind her. She advanced to the king’s desk and stood in front of an armchair facing her father. She awaited his permission to be seated. King Vonneon Teun lifted his head, seemed to remember this and asked her to sit. Her father forgot sometimes that he had to give permission for this even to his own daughter. The armchair was comfy and she began to form the words that belonged to her speech she had prepared in her own chambers and had practised on the journey to her father. As she formed the beginnings of this a knock sounded on the door. One of the king’s guards, Demetri, opened a single door and enquired as to what the disturbance was.

A messenger entered the room, muttered something to the guard and immediately approached the king staying a metre away and bowed his head before moving closer and handing him a sealed letter. King Vonneon thanked the messenger and dismissed him before breaking the seal and reading the letter. As Natalia watched her father she saw his expression darken as he read each coming word, his reading of the letter slowed as he read indicating the gravity of what he read. After King Vonneon had finished the letter he placed it on the desk unfolded which was unlike himself. She had never seen him so dejected before. He looked so small and defeated. She was used to seeing him strong and in charge. King Vonneon had made it his duty to train with the royal guard every morning. He helped to train them in hand combat, swordplay and archery. He also rode with them four times a week. Natalia’s worry raised her from her seat and she walked to her father’s side of the desk.

“May I?” The question escaped her before she could conceal it. He nodded solemnly and so she picked up the letter and moved nearer the floor to ceiling window to gain the advantage of sunlight. As she read the letter she realised what had made her father’s disposition so melancholy. There had been multiple rumours of revolt throughout the kingdom, quite a few arising in the larger towns and villages in the south and a few from nearer the capital. This news puzzled her as she had never witnessed anything that could remotely have this consequence. Her father loved his subjects and ruled the kingdom extremely fairly.

One of the mahogany doors was opened again as the king’s advisor rushed in and stepped towards the King. Natalia handed him the letter silently. The advisor raised his looking glass and proceeded to read the letter.

“Father what should be done? Will you have to cancel your yearly tour of the kingdom?” Natalia was worried about the fact that if there is indeed a threat against the royal family that this would provide the perfect opportunity to carry out such threats. The advisor folded the letter and placed it on the desk.

“I believe it would be safer to do so, however the king must not show that this news has reached him, at the very least show no signs of how this letter has been received, nor the scale of its true effects. I would not be surprised if this is a ploy to keep the king away. I would even doubt the authenticity of this information if I had not received a similar one just a moment ago.” The king looked up astonished and the advisor fumbled through his pockets and produced another letter. The king read this one and Natalia read over his shoulder.

“It says more or less the same thing only with specific town names...” The king nodded in agreement. The advisor paced the length of the room before turning to the king.

“If I may sire, I suggest you send out a small group of your royal guard to precede you and scout the villages and towns for verification of these rumours before you head out yourself. We can postpone your journey as the villagers and townspeople only know that you are coming not when. I suggest we leave just after midsummer as we should return near the end of autumn and therefore avoid the winter’s cold.” King Vonneon stroked his chin taking in this suggestion as a thought arose in Natalia’s mind.

“Father, if I may offer my opinion on the matter?” she awaited the nod to continue, the king nodded, “If indeed some of your subjects are beginning to think of a revolt then surely seeing the royal guard isn’t going to help as they are unlikely talk to the guardsmen.” Interested in what her daughter was about to suggest King Vonneon indicated her to continue. “Therefore I propose that I scout the towns and villages myself, they have never seen me up close and will not recognise me. I could travel as a rider, even with a rider. I could get to know the people and the kingdom that may someday be mine.” Her father began to shake his head “I know how to defend myself father you know this to be true and...”

Advisor Blake raised a hand and interjected this train of thought. “I believe that you have the beginnings of an interesting idea Princess, however a single lady travelling alone is not the best way to do recon on our destinations.” The advisor rubbed his temple and continued “Vonneon what do you think?”

The king rose from his chair and looked out of the window, “I believe that on its own this is a good idea in theory, but in practice would not succeed. Why does the scout have to be you? I could send anyone; I could send a group of my guard in travelling clothes as disguise. Even if you did have to be the one to go, you would need two guards with you ensuring your safety also some advice and training from the Tolan riders.”

“Father, you can trust me, I know you think you can trust your guard and such but you never know, there could be a leak among them. I could send regular letters informing you of my progress, or if that is too risky I can double back every now and then to inform you and then head off on the next leg of the journey. Or I could do the whole journey in one and tell you my findings when I return. Father I wish to see the kingdom, not through the window of a carriage, or from the window of a grand room but through the eyes of someone who can go anywhere, talk to anyone, see things that royals do not due to their high status.” She could see the fire in her father’s eyes begin to fade as he saw how this could work, “one guard please, anymore and it will raise suspicion, he could also pose as a fellow rider so no implications could be made.”

King Vonneon observed his daughter as she spoke and eventually agreed to this on the condition that the guard would be one he chose personally and she could have no objections, also she was not to tell him that she was a princess. The guard must believe that she was a rider.

Natalia agreed and made her way to the corridor. “Natalia.” She turned and faced her father who was two paced behind her, “remember to always wear the necklace your mother gave you, do not remove it. You leave tomorrow at dawn along with the Tolan riders and my royal guard.” Natalia nodded and gave her father a quick hug before leaving his chambers and making her way, again flanked by her two guards, directly down to the palace’s own stables. Whilst descending the first of many spiral staircases that lead to the stables Natalia reached to her necklace and held it gently. There was a single sapphire embedded into the centre of the pendent that hung on the end of a silver chain. The smoothness of the pendent and the decoration embossed into it was incredible. She wondered where her mother had found this trinket and what value it had. Although to her the monetary value was not what she thought about, she thought of all the dignitaries that travelled from all over the kingdom to her father’s court every other month and then to who may have passed this along, or if her father had given this to his wife himself. She shook her head, no good to think of this now, there was nothing to show any sign of the necklace’s origin.  

Lottielight

Beloved Explorer

7,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100

Lottielight

Beloved Explorer

7,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100