Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
eyes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ebony Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:23 pm
something for a contest I started yesterday, i plan to add markings on the face and multicolor hair

any suggestions? should I make it a whole face or cut it off above the nose?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:35 pm
Technically that's not realisim. Realisim is everyday people doing everyday things without any sort of romanticism.

I'd go with creating more textures, and looking at photographs of faces.  

Zero Fail

Ebony Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:42 pm
Zero Fail
Technically that's not realisim. Realisim is everyday people doing everyday things without any sort of romanticism.

I'd go with creating more textures, and looking at photographs of faces.

sry bout that sweatdrop
and ty 4 the advice~  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 pm
My main suggestion would be this:

Do a quick, rough version of the whole picture FIRST, then work on the details.

You seem to be focusing on specific parts (the eyes in this case) before doing any work on the other parts of the picture. It's really hard to control the composition and overall proportions that way. Things like composition and proportions are much easier to fix during the early stages.

For that reason, if this had been my picture, I would crop it above the nose. Adding the rest of the face after you've done this much work is tricky. ^^;

Another thing is that there are very sharp edges separating the irises from the whites of the eyes, but the pupils and the details inside of the irises are fuzzy. I would make them sharper, and fix the shape of the irises (they look squished instead of being perfectly round).

Hope that helps. Good luck with the contest 3nodding  

keiiii

Ebony Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:26 pm
keiiii
My main suggestion would be this:

Do a quick, rough version of the whole picture FIRST, then work on the details.

You seem to be focusing on specific parts (the eyes in this case) before doing any work on the other parts of the picture. It's really hard to control the composition and overall proportions that way. Things like composition and proportions are much easier to fix during the early stages.

For that reason, if this had been my picture, I would crop it above the nose. Adding the rest of the face after you've done this much work is tricky. ^^;

Another thing is that there are very sharp edges separating the irises from the whites of the eyes, but the pupils and the details inside of the irises are fuzzy. I would make them sharper, and fix the shape of the irises (they look squished instead of being perfectly round).

Hope that helps. Good luck with the contest 3nodding

thanks for the advice i just started with a brown blob and went from there
and im not done with the eyes yet, just trying to lay everything down first~  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:34 pm
Well yeah, the eyes look unfinished, but they do look a lot more finished than the rest of the picture (including the parts of her face that you haven't painted yet XD).  

keiiii

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:30 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Remember that the eyes are round and there are parts that make all the prettiness you're trying to capture.

When you look from the side, it helps you appreciate that the pupil is a hole and that the iris is UNDER a clear little dome that catches light differently than the rest of the eyeball. Your pupils are pitch black since they are literally holes. After I make the iris with some softness, I use a hard brush and make the pupil nice and sharp.

Also, unless there is a light in the eyes, the pupils aren't that contracted. (Here's a body language tip: Tiny pupils mean you don't like what you see. If you want to make someone (especially a woman) look attractive, then the pupils are larger. She likes what she sees. They actually do this to eyes in magazines to make the women look better. Tiny pupils make the viewer feel she hates them and they are put off by her.)

Look at real eyes in magazines and draw them. You'll notice a lot of things that you're not quite getting in this image. Doing studies are the best thing you can do when you want a hint of the real world in your art.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games