Submit

Rock4ourRock

6,150 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 pm
The Mist

Richard Thanus was a very mediocre man. He had a decent job and lived a normal life in Pennsylvania with his wife Patricia and a single son named Henry who was seven years old. However, his mediocre life was about to become a rather incredible one starting with the day his boss called him in and promoted him. This promotion forced him and his family to move across the country to California…

Having just moved in to the new home and having to deal Henry’s constant complaining, Richard was very glad to be able to simply lay in his bed with his beautiful wife and get some rest for the night. Patricia was asleep at his side, her head buried into his neck and arms wrapped lovingly around him. Their night together had not consisted of the usual nightly love-making session, but instead with the rarer, but still somewhat occasional conversation time. This night, they had talked of the new move and promotion being a symbolic killing of their past problems including his occasional visits to gentlemen’s night clubs, an act she highly disapproved of, and her constant need to have someone comfort her and help her regain herself every time she was feeling sad or depressed. He thought she needed to learn to cope with problems on her own.

He was just drifting off to sleep himself, his eyelids slowly closing and his mind succumbing to the exhaustion, when he heard a whispering voice in his ear say: “Your sins will be your demise…” He did nothing in response, for, at that moment, he immediately fell asleep.

The next day, he came home from his new job to find his wife in the kitchen making dinner and his son was in the living room playing video games. He walked in and sat down at the dining room table, his body feeling like it was full of lead, the fatigue from the day’s work struggling to take hold of him. He heard his wife say something about forgetting an ingredient, going back to the store, as well as taking Henry to soccer practice. The door closed as his head hit the table, his eyes closed and breathing even.

He woke up ten minutes later and felt a presence behind him. Turning around he found a beautiful brunette standing there, her naked body fully exposed.

“Who…who are you?” he stammered.

“It doesn’t matter,” the woman replied in the most beautiful voice Richard had ever heard, “I am simply here to please you.” She walked up to him, grabbing a soft cloth as she came, then sat on his lap and kissed him. Richard was a bit worried that this strange woman was in his house, but still pleased by her actions and allowed her to slowly remove his shirt and wrap the cloth over his eyes, blinding him. She kissed him again, pushed her breasts against his bare chest, and then stood up. He didn’t care what she was doing; he just knew that he wanted her and everything she could, as a woman, give him. She came back, sat on his lap, and kissed him again. He tried to prolong the kiss, but she stopped him and whispered in his ear, “You are a stupid, shameless man,” then proceeded to stab him with a large knife multiple times in his chest and stomach. The woman stood up, placed the knife in his now cold hand and slowly turned into a dark grey mist that drifted into the wall.

The next day, after the police chief and crime scene investigators had all left the house, Patricia was sitting in her room grieving. Henry was sitting in his own room. Patricia stood up and walked into the young boy’s bedroom; she was seeking comfort in her pride and joy to help make it through this time.

The moment she opened the door, she noticed Henry was playing with a small boy of about his same age that she had never met before.

“Henry, who’s your friend?” she asked him. He remained silent. “Henry?”

Henry stood up, as did the other boy who whispered something into Henry’s ear. The next thing Patricia knew, she had a steak knife protruding from her stomach. Clasped around the handle of the knife was Henry’s own little hand. She cried out in pain as he pulled it out. Henry and the other boy exchanged sadistic smiles and he stabbed her once again. Patricia fell to her knees, then to the floor, clutching the wound, trying to stop the blood that flowed freely and quickly out of her.

“Henry! What are you thinking?! What are you doing?!” Her screams seemed so far off as her body started to shut down.

“Good bye, Mommy. You and I are going to see God now.” This morbid statement was accompanied by a boyish giggle. He licked the blood off the knife, and then placed it upon his own neck. The cut was quick and as the blood flowed from his neck, the giggle turned into gurgles and gasps. His body fell limp to the floor next to her.

The other boy walked up to her. In a high, raspy voice that chilled Patricia to the bone, he said, “My name is Mutatarum. I am the bringer of Death. Goodbye, Patricia Thanus.” At that, the boy transformed into a dark grey mist with red eyes the color of rubies. He floated backwards into the wall of the room. That was the last thing Patricia saw before the cold hands of Death took her as his own.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a short horror story i wrote for my english literature class. I know it seems kind of rushed at parts, but i only had two pages to work with. i had to cut out a whole character from the final product just to make it fit.
Any suggestions to edit it or make it better would be greatly appreciated.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:39 pm
Hmmm.... I'm not really experienced with this kind of literature. However, to me, this seems rather short and doesn't give time for the plot to build, so, when you kill off your characters, the lack of suspense and knowledge of who your characters actually are and the lives they have led cause this to be kind of disappointing. When I read this, it felt rushed and gave me no time to take in what the story was about before you killed off every character. If you lengthened it, and alowed the plot to build and add suspense, it could be very good. I'd be very interested to see what you make of it. Thanks for posting this!  

EstoPerpetua

Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff