Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Tips on drawing shoulders

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:36 am
So I've been looking at some tutorials lately on basic anatomy and shoulders, but for some reason, I just haven't found what I'm looking for.

Areas that I have trouble with are making them angled correctly, how long/wide to make them (supposedly two heads long, but...), how to draw them at diff angles, etc... I don't have any huge problems when using reference images, but when drawing from memory, it doesn't go well. Which, says to me that I don't have a good understanding of the mechanics and the like.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for drawing shoulders and, to a lesser degree, necks?

Edit: If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it. xD I didn't think it belonged in the Mentee or Mentor section, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:21 am
The only real way to learn is to look at how the skeleton is put together and how the muscles weave. Also, look at pictures of people's shoulders as they're in different positions. (Shoulder blades too. Those can be difficult.)

Also, think of it like a ball socket doll. The arm fits into the torso and there is flesh wrapped over. I'd draw an example, but I can't. I'm at the office.

Also, there is a sticky for questions like this. It's called OMG HELP.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am
Thank you, Errol.

I guess it's about time that I tried to do a serious anatomy study or two, as you suggested. No easy way around it!

I'll check out the Sticky, too. Should I delete this post in the meantime? xD  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff