Submit

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 am
Imma just run off a list of projects/ models/ things I'm trying to get time for..;
Daemon Prince sculpt
Metal Daemon Prince, to be turned to nurgle
Imperial guard model
Leman russ that has yet to be finished [Aim to make alt' weaponry]
Squig sculpt
Squiggoth
Vindicare from a Dire Avenger
Repairing a mates Predator models because he recieved broken ones..
An angel sculpt
An Ork dread
An Ork biker
A khornate raptor lord

To name just some of it all..
Not to mention the 48 Lizardmen skinks I aim to turn into horrors of Tzeentch, the 24 Saurus that will be divided between Nurgle and Khorne and the cold ones that I'm torn between turning to juggernoughts/ screamers.

Anyway; This is one of them, the daemon prince sculpture. I am actually proud of him, he's being rather sexy :3
Can't decide if to align him to a god, yet. Perhaps Nurg'.

Amazingly, despite using my *good* camera, many of the photos are blurry..
X|X|X|X|X|X

UPDATE
Saurus turned Plaguebearers;
X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X

Skinks turned Horrors of Tzeentch
X|X  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 am
Why not throw a warp-amp into it's mouth, would be enough to make him Slaanesh... x3 <3

It's looking pretty swell none the less!  

Shinobi_8745

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:11 am
I'm looking forward to seeing all of this stuff, Messyart. You know that I'm a big fan.

As it goes, I agree with what Shinobi said. Definitely has a Slaaneshi look to it as it is.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 am
Oh, I would like to throw in a question here as well, do you use sculpting tools with rubber/silicone thingies? If so, gots any to recommend? People always tell me to use oil with the ones I currently use, and it doesn't really work out using them for me. >_o;;;  

Shinobi_8745

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 pm
Shinobi_8745
Oh, I would like to throw in a question here as well, do you use sculpting tools with rubber/silicone thingies? If so, gots any to recommend? People always tell me to use oil with the ones I currently use, and it doesn't really work out using them for me. >_o;;;

I have not, but I've considered buying one to try.
I use the GW sculptey tool and a cheap one I found at a market, as well as a nice sharp knife and an old broken compass..  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 am
I don't understand how you manage to get it all so smooth then! :0

I hardly ever get my sculpting projects to look smooth (luckily I mostly sculpt orky/orcy/skaveny/Chaos Nurgle stuff nowdays).  

Shinobi_8745

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:33 pm
I find just being gentle and using my saliva to wet the tools help me, but smoothness is still something I'm trying to work on.
Even flat surfaces take me a long time to get right, but I do try to make sure it's at least good before I stop.

Could always get the shape and wait a bit, then start to flatten it out, it'll keep the shape better.

Since I'm here I may as well say I've decided how to turn those 45 skinks into Horrors
[mysteriously, upon re-counting, I did not have 48..]

Just got some crappy phone cam shots of the one I have started them off with;
X|X
They shall have 5 tentacles above their eyes, and at least 3 large horn like teeth in their maw.
some shall have widened maws with possible balls of fire sculpted screaming out.
Thus making them horrors.

And, if anyone is interested, I wrote out how the hell I think a race of bipedal lizards may have been turned into a new race of daemon..  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:51 am
Dayum, that's good! eek I really need to get someone to sit down with me and explain the nuances of sculpting sometime.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:22 pm
Haha, cheers.

Grab a knife, grab some blu-tac or any other reusable tacky putty and some wire.

Find a piece of artwork you like.
Bend the wire to more or less that shape.
Push the putty around it and just have a go!

It's much the same as GS, you can get good detail, except it doesn't cost s**t loads, and you can simply squish it all and start over.
If you like a model you make, put it to the side and practice till you're more confident, then try to remake the whole thing in GS / milliput.

Another good tool I have is a simple rod of plastic, possibly once an Orc spear.
Cut one end to a 45 degree angle, so far I have only used it to make realistic solder affect on vehicles [for that dramatic field repair look] but it's handy for many things.

I do have a couple of PDFs about sculpting, I just put them on a hosting site if you care to have a look;
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/101782/DWsculpting-class.pdf
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/101786/sculpting_tut01.pdf

No idea if it'll work/ how it'll work as, never used the site before.
So if you're not too sure, could always ask that I email you them.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games