Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Critiques on making a dragons head better? please?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visitor Count
  +1
View Results

TheDisturbedCookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:26 am
User Image
ok this, I know, is actually pretty crap. I just wanted to try against a seriouse dragon head.
if someone could tell me atleast somehow to make things even just the tinyest better, it would mean I would luv ya forever!
[the dragon]

Please?
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:33 pm
I guess the one thing that is glaringly obvious to me is that, even though it's a profile, you need to make it three-dimensional. This is most obvious with the mouth where only one side of the teeth is visible. Look at pictures of similar animals and you'll find that the teeth show through because they aren't exactly even. The eye is also a little dull and expressionless. Even basic images of animals should convey some form of emotion or tension.

You did a very good job on the textures of the tongue and the skin connecting the dragon's jaws, btw. The details are fantastic and fairly realistic. Also, kudos on sticking with that texture of the scales and being consistent, I probably would have gotten bored with it. sweatdrop

The closest thing to dragons that I've ever drawn are wolves, so unfortunately I can't give you any more specific critique than that.

Edit: Picture of dinosaur skull with similar teeth  

Griffonage

Zero Fail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:47 pm
I think that in general, profiles are hard to give dimension. You may want to think about the lighting direction. Is the light coming from one side? Is it only above? I'm probably just making it more complicated, but here is an example of another profile of a dragon that can give you an idea for what I mean with the lighting.
Link  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 am
Pomato Soup
I guess the one thing that is glaringly obvious to me is that, even though it's a profile, you need to make it three-dimensional. This is most obvious with the mouth where only one side of the teeth is visible. Look at pictures of similar animals and you'll find that the teeth show through because they aren't exactly even. The eye is also a little dull and expressionless. Even basic images of animals should convey some form of emotion or tension.

You did a very good job on the textures of the tongue and the skin connecting the dragon's jaws, btw. The details are fantastic and fairly realistic. Also, kudos on sticking with that texture of the scales and being consistent, I probably would have gotten bored with it. sweatdrop

The closest thing to dragons that I've ever drawn are wolves, so unfortunately I can't give you any more specific critique than that.

Edit: Picture of dinosaur skull with similar teeth

User Image
that dinosoar skull is actually a lot of helo, thankyou!

and yea I agree that my drawing are 2D ^^
I will get better!

thankyou!!!!
User Image

TheDisturbedCookie

TheDisturbedCookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 am
Zero Fail
I think that in general, profiles are hard to give dimension. You may want to think about the lighting direction. Is the light coming from one side? Is it only above? I'm probably just making it more complicated, but here is an example of another profile of a dragon that can give you an idea for what I mean with the lighting.
Link

User Image
hmmm... yea your also saying I need some more realism in it.

and that picca is very good!

ok so ligting is also what i need to improve on =P
User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 pm
umm, not sure if this'll help much or what ur aiming for, but sometimes dragons have a a valley-thing goin on in the middle of their head. In a lot of chinese and asian dragons, they have some sort of arch with the middle of their faces that have the strangest ridges and makes their nose stick out =P
European dragons have this too. It's like a "U" between their nostrils? =3 i dunno. I'm prolly speaking baka now XD  

Dragon Sylph Kei

TheDisturbedCookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:02 am
Suki type AB
umm, not sure if this'll help much or what ur aiming for, but sometimes dragons have a a valley-thing goin on in the middle of their head. In a lot of chinese and asian dragons, they have some sort of arch with the middle of their faces that have the strangest ridges and makes their nose stick out =P
European dragons have this too. It's like a "U" between their nostrils? =3 i dunno. I'm prolly speaking baka now XD

User Image
lol, I know what you mean ^^

I should add noses ^^
User Image

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out