Reply Non Star Trek Discussion Forum
The Ten Worst Films of the Decade

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:06 pm
I've been trying to come up with a list of the ten best films of the Decade. It's not easy. There were so many great films, between Pan's Labyrinth and Iron Man, all the way back to Almost Famous. My list is still incomplete. So, I've picked out the films I've seen that just seem to suck out loud, the ones that insulted my intelligence, and the ones that need to be burned from our collective memories. So, until I do my Top Ten, here is the bottom ten.

10.Rollerball- I really have nothing to say about this movie. It's the most boring nonstop action extravaganza I've ever seen. It's senseless, stupid, and doesn't even keep the tone of the cult classic original. It's like watching "The X Games" but people can die. Oh, and thats supposed to make it cooler.

9. Star Wars: Episode III- Now, why is this movie on the list, and not Battlefield Earth? Because it's a Star Wars film. When somebody says "Hey, you want to go see Battlefield Earth?" what do you think? I bet it's not "The final installment in one of the greatest sci fi franchises ever conceived? Of course! I can't wait!" No. Because it's not Star Wars. It's Battlefield Earth.

When you go see Star Wars, even with expectations low, you expect more than this. Even after Episodes I and II, you would think "It'll at least be watchable". Sure, there are some great performances. But only from Minor Characters. Meanwhile, Portman gives a performance that ruins her career (despite talent she showed in non Star Wars films), Hayden Christensen does nothing but cry, and Ewan MacGregor seems to be a few takes away from "Getting it". Meanwhile the muddled plot assumes you've read all the background, watched other shows, played video games, because they never even tell you why they are at war in the first place. It doesn't matter, because the War ends forty five minutes in, and is replaced with Anakin killing most of the Jedi. Oh, wait, he didn't kill the Jedi like Obi Wan claimed in the original films. He slaughters a bunch of children (called Younglings) while the Jedi Masters are pretty much shot in the back. So much for the force, eh?

8. The Dukes of Hazzard- Remember that little Guilty Pleasure of a TV Show? Just some Good Ol' Boys, all that crap? Well, they seem to have lost the old fashioned country innocence and replaced it with pot smoking and mischief making, and the only thing that seems to make them "The Good Guys" is the fact that they cause problems for the Bad Guys. I didn't expect much out of this film, but it's got nothing remotely resembling what made me like the show at all. Heck, might as well be any other teen movie. I wanted a fun little movie. I got a train wreck with some mixed up story bout selling the town and Nascar.

7. Alone in the Dark- I've defended Uwe Boll. Yes, he makes crap, but it's crap I can enjoy. It's crap that is "so bad it's good". Shameless cheerful stupidity. But there is a limit. Watching Jason Statham fighting Ninjas, or Kristina Loken fighting Vampires might be fun, but what is there to delight in in this film? Not a goddamn thing. Based loosely off a game shameless ripping off Lovecraft, it's essentially two people wandering aimlessly, shooting guns at things that aren't there, and doing what they can to avoid moving the plot along. House of the Dead had things happening, at least, and I could grab a beer and mock the movie in an MST3k life fashion. This one bored me, quite literally, to tears.

6. Pinnochio- When I heard that "Life is Beautiful" Director and Star Roberto Benigni was going to direct and star in "Pinnochio", I was excited. I figured "You know, he'd make an excellent Geppeto". But no. he played the doll. Wandered aimlessly through slapstick antics, disturbing anyone who dared laid eyes on a grown man pretending to be a child-puppet. He should have thought it through. After all, I think he'd make an excellent Geppeto, and I've been hoping to see a good live-action adaptation of the story.

5. Christmas with The Kranks- I almost kept this movie off the list. Not because it doesn't qualify, but because technically, it's cheating. I did not watch all of this movie. But that's exactly why it's here. This is the only movie that was so god awfully bad I walked out of the theater. It's a movie about two people who don't follow the neighborhood traditions and must be punished. If not only for the disgusting message (since it's clear you are not supposed to root for the Kranks), the films is devoid of any real humor. To be honest, I should rank this highter. But I'm already cheating. So, the hour I watched of this movie is number five.

4. Date Movie- I could make this list full of films like this. Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans. But I won't. Because I am smarter than the masses who decided to waste money on the same film with different antics. After I saw Date Movie, I knew the rest were essentially the same (granted, Superhero Movie does have some laughs). Date Movie isn't a parady, but a collection of bad jokes. Many of which have nothing to do with the genre they are spoofing. Then again, I think the spoofs were written, and placed in an order that told a vague story, and then the genre to name the film after was chosen. The film is completely uninspired, and it really started the "Genre Movie" trend going. Now, some of you will say "Scary Movie" did that. Scary Movie is a series in it's own right. It didn't go bad until people realized their were other genres to name bad parodies after.

3. SwimFan- This movie has remained mostly forgotten. Good thing, too. It's a thriller about a High School kid (who is in his mid twenties, because it's a teen film hence actual teens were not allowed to audition) who is trying to get a scholarship into a top college based on his amazing swim skills. A full ride for Swimming? That's not the most idiotic thing in the film, I assure you. He is being stalked by a young girl who is obsessed with him. This is followed by Murder, betrayal, set ups, and most of all, let downs. Is it really worse than all other horror films of the decade? Yes. At least, in Uwe Boll's films, stuff happens.

2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen- When i am promised a Transformers movie, I want one thing: Giant Robots fighting eachother. Instead, we have close ups of a man's a** (because that's funny), Dogs humping eachother, Robots humping humans, and a director who had the audacity to claim that this movie was "Ben Hur meets Apocalypes now. The robots seems even less realistic as they struggle ton interact with the real world surroundings. The plot is muddled and stupid, and characters constantly repeat the plot to themselves over and over again. There is not one thing to like in this movie.

1. The Craving Heart- For everyone who tells me that I only like boring low budget independent films, I assure you, no, I do not. I hate those as much as I hate studio films. Which is to say, only when they suck. This movie has spawned some of my more memorable Nightmares. It's a pseudo intellectual annoyance written, directed, and starring Stan Harrington. It's about a man falling in love with a girl who spends about ten minutes of the eighty minute film cutting herself. Also, something about 'Past, Present and Future". This film has a philosophy that it wants to present, but it's unclear what it wants to tell us, because we are too distracted by the numerous self indulgent sex scenes featuring Stan Harrington and his unshaved back. But I can tell you that the movie gives you this to ponder "If you die, can you go to heaven without your soulmate?"

Yes, when all of us are too busy considering the reality of heaven, hell, and an after life, this a*****e goes and changes the rules on us. Meanwhile, John Saxon walks around, talks about Vietnam for no reason other than to add just a bit more drama. It does nothing for the story. It's a terrible film. The worst of the decade, and worst I've ever seen.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:56 pm
How did you leave Borat off of the list? Not only was it the worst film of the decade, it was easily the worst film of all time. Borat is the only film that I haven't been able to sit through. I was even able to sit through "Return to Oz."
Borat was easily the dumbest, most disgusting, most offensive thing that I have ever seen, and the world is a little worse now for that movie having been made.  

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:16 pm
10.Rollerball- My brother loved this movie. He also loved all of the "-random genre- Movie" movies.

9. Star Wars: Episode III- George Lucas is just getting lazy.

8. The Dukes of Hazzard- The only thing I liked about this movie was the car.

7. Alone in the Dark- Uwe Boll has a long history of crappy movies. Why do people keep giving him chances to make more?

6. Pinnochio- Anybody who actually watched "Life is Beautiful" (all three of you,) may have been excited about this. The rest of us will stick to the Disney version.

5. Christmas with The Kranks- I found this film to be thoroughly mediocre.

4. Date Movie- If the movie has the word "Movie" in the title, then the movie automatically sucks.

3. SwimFan- Why would you put yourself through that? Don't you watch previews?

2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen- I loved this movie. Especially the part where things blow up.

1. The Craving Heart- Never heard of it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 am
Quote:
7. Alone in the Dark- Uwe Boll has a long history of crappy movies. Why do people keep giving him chances to make more?

I enjoy watching Bad movies. He made House of the Dead and Bloodrayne. As I said, with those films, I just cracked open a beer, yelled at the screen, and while I didn't like them, I got my dollar rental's worth. Hell, Bloodrayne 2 is the perfect film to watch in that fashion.

Quote:
6. Pinnochio- Anybody who actually watched "Life is Beautiful" (all three of you,) may have been excited about this. The rest of us will stick to the Disney version.

Life is Beautiful was a big success in America. Stop pretending it's an obscure film. It's the second highest grossing foreign film of all time. Which means more people watch this than the obnoxious Japanese films losers geek over.

The Disney film is one of my all time favorite movies. But I still want to see a decent live action film. But most go the toned down family route Disney goes to.

Quote:
3. SwimFan- Why would you put yourself through that? Don't you watch previews?

There is a story behind it. I was away at a boarding school, and on the weekend we watch movies. We usually went to see "What was PG-13" at the time, because the people there thought PG films were too kiddie and we weren't allowed to see R. The two movies we could choose between were "Blue Crush" and "SwimFan". I chose "Blue Crush". It didn'tn look good, but I had hoped it was a throw back to the Surfer films of the sixties. It wasn't, but it was still better than Swim Fan.

At any rate, that's what we saw. My roommate Frank and I hated it. Our other roommate Lamont was out with his family. ANd we started going "Yeah, you know Lamont is going to walk in later and go 'Guys, I saw Swim Fan today. That movie was TOO GOOD."

And he did. I didn't speak to him for a week. For a different reason, he stole the cigarettes I was selling to the needlessly addicted.

Quote:
1. The Craving Heart- Never heard of it.

Not many have. I'm one of the handful who has seen it, because my professor, Jeff Fisher, was sent a hard drive with the movie on. He was pretty much paid a lot of money to fix the really shitty sound, which was not produced independent of Camera in away. Lesson: Always back up your sound. Anyway, he decided to show it to us.

Upon realizing that most of the class didn't like it, he decided that we don't have very intellectual tastes. Thing is, there is a fine line between cerebral and pretentious. This pisses all over it.  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:28 pm
I agree with you on:

Star Wars Episode III - What was the f**king point of Anakin killing the Jedi Youngling's?

Transformers(Not just Revenge of the Fallen)- Michael Bay movies only did one good thing and that was to help me go to sleep.

Christmas with The Kranks - Bad message, stupid humor, like the Michael Bay movie it helped me fall asleep.

Date Movie - Pretty much the same as Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans,etc. (Not including Scary Movie, because it was actually a good series, with exception of the fourth one). The jokes in those kinds of movies are stupid.

I haven't seen any of the others.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:43 pm
I really don't like the Anakin saga of Star Wars at all, I definitely prefer the Luke saga.

Transformers what was the reason for all the spinning, I almost had to leave the theater and I've never had any problems with motion sickness.

The others I avoided on principle, I would have happily missed the other two but I got dragged to them by my cousins. It was a repeat of the Speed Racer massacre.  

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Non Star Trek Discussion Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items