Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
What to do

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lizard Quiche

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:24 pm

THIS
I draw like this and well I was wondering what I should do to fix like the shading and shape face. I also would normally erase the gray lines and clean it up a bit, but what should I change on the art or what should I do to help my art look better?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:12 pm
Try to learn more about anatomy. The proportions and the muscles and stuff. That's very important. Learn about how the muscles fit together and how you can draw that.

A good resource

Also, don't try to get a great finished product right away. Do sketches first, in black and white even, with only a pencil, and don't try to add color until you know more about shading and structure. Then try to add the fancy digital stuff.

I hope that helped!  

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:42 pm
well what rey says is good advice but i think shes skipping a step for you. what you are trying to achieve is something 3-d on a 2-d plane. so you need to learn more about forms and perspective.

best think i can say about forms , though it sounds weird, is to use 3-d shapes instead of 2-d ones(i know i doesn't seem like it makes much of a difference but it really does) i.e. cubes vs. square

i hope that helps but if anything is unclear let me know  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:05 pm
Well I did draw this in the program I didn't scan it and I first drew it in black and white and then colored it so yeah. The proportion stuff does help though thanks.  

Lizard Quiche

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:21 pm
Honestly, if you want your art to improve, it's gonna come down to one main thing... practice. And lots of it. That said, though, what you practice is important. Some biggies if you want to draw people include studying form, anatomy, and even topics like human behavior.

Draw often. Draw from life... just remember to draw what's there, not what you think you see. That sort of thing. There are lots of resources online and listed in this forum. My advice would be to just look up some of those and work your way through.

Also, sketching.. sketching is very important. Don't try to create a wonderful, beautiful finished piece quite yet. For now, focus on getting the basics down.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 am
Okay, what everyone said before me is good.
Work on anatomy.
Practice practice practice
and take it little bit's at a time.
However, if you're like I was and can't resist adding a bit of colour and experimenting, then I'll give you a few pointers.
One Vox on deviantart has some brilliant youtube videos on stuff like the basics of painting.
With painting you have to pay attention to shadows, which means lot's of practice looking at objects and studying the way that light moves. Your image loos flat, because there are no shadows or contrast.
Uhm. Basically, adding contrast and shadows and highlights can really improve the look of your piece.
Pleasepleaseplease DON'T use the dodge or burn tool. They look crap.
For now, pick a colour, stick to perhaps three fairly different colours until you have a strong sense of what's going on, then experiment with adding the many different colours you'll find in things like flesh.
It's a lot to work on, but don't worry! With practice you'll improve quickly. Good Luck!  

no surrender

Blue_Fire_Godess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 pm
That looks like my drawing's when I use marker. I prefer colored pencil's because it's easier to shade and mix colors with than markers.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games