RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:21 pm
BaBy LoVeS tO dAnCe In ThE D A R K

Okay, my friend has five cats. And she's always worrying about one or more of her cats because they're always hurt.
I want to smack her parents for letting their cats run wild when they live right next to a busy highway. Apparently she was allowed to leash-train one cat, but she nearly lost grip and her mother banned leashes on the cats.
They don't tether the cats, and they just let their cats out.
Her father say that only dogs need leashes, and they refuse to listen to any kind of sensibility.
One of their cats broke every bone in it's tail and had to get it amputated.

Is there no way they'll stop?

I can't stand watching their cats get hurt and killed because of her parents childishness.

'CaUsE wHeN He's LoOkInG sHe FaLls A P A R T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 pm
I don't think animal should be held in captivity, but can they not see that they are allowing them to roam into mortal danger? Honestly, those cats will die because of their stubbornness.

Because they aren't your parents it's hard to tell them without seeming rude, but I would encourage your friend to tell them until they start listening. Otherwise it will be too late.  

u nd i

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:49 pm

I've tried.
She refuses to pester her parents anymore because her mother yells at her for 'Questioning the way things are done around here'.

It's perfectly humane to keep them as housecats.

I'm thinking of telling her parents myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:55 pm
The way they are letting those cats slowly die is not humane, why is she afraid of getting yelled at if she is doing the right thing?
Maybe she should show them some shock sites/images to show them what is going to inevitably happen confused  

u nd i

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:00 pm

She always backs down to her parents.
It's stupid.

I'm not going to start swearing at her when it's her parents' fault.

Shock. THANK YOU! I never would've thought of that.
I'm going to look some up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 pm
That's okay, it's hard when it's not your parents.
Sounds like she needs to learn to grow a pair though as she can see her cats are suffering.  

u nd i

whatagirlwants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:41 pm
suggest an electric cat fence. or a cat run like many people use in england. if the cats get upset being kept inside its cruel to keep them in. I also think it's partially the cats fault. If it gets hit and then tries to cross the road again its Darwin's law. survival of the fittest. I live close enough to see the highway and Max goes outside regularly, he has never tried to cross the highway because he's smart. He gets out of the way of moving vehicles.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:45 pm
I'm making a petition to keep cats indoors.

And I'm going to show it to the mayor and present it to them, in hopes that a by-law comes out.

It worked in my old town, and the punishment was that if your cat was caught outside, it would be impounded and it cost the owners fifty dollars.  

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200

ThornySinger

2,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:34 pm
RosesFallingLikeRain

:3 That sounds very responsible of you.

As for her backing down on her parents, from the sounds of it. It seems as though they are "brick-wall" parents. Meaning is that they set up direct and strict orders. They train their children to follow, and to allow their judgement to be put on them. They are stubborn, set up limits, and hence the brickwall. Children of brickwall parents back down most of the time when presented with an issue that requires them to talk back and respond with their perspective because it's hard for them because they've been trained to always let the parents lead. I would know from experience. My father is a brick-wall parent as well. I feel at times that I cannot explain a simple thing to my dad such as the reason why I like collecting rocks in a box to him. He just simply won't listen. I always backed down, until my loyal best friend decided that enough was enough and worked on my backbone to stand up.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 pm
RosesFallingLikeRain

And I'm going to show it to the mayor and present it to them, in hopes that a by-law comes out.

It worked in my old town, and the punishment was that if your cat was caught outside, it would be impounded and it cost the owners fifty dollars.

that is so stupid cats need the outdoors to be happy. They are wild animals who choose to live with us. Some cats can't be kept indoors. Its cruelty. Oh and give the owners a fine. Our pounds are already overcrowded lets shove them full of cats that people can't afford some stupid fine cuz their cat slipped out. Not to mention how busy animal control is catching loose dogs. Ever try to catch a cat? you can't unless it wants to be caught. I can't even catch my cat when he doesn't want in.  

whatagirlwants

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 pm
froggymama89
RosesFallingLikeRain

that is so stupid cats need the outdoors to be happy. They are wild animals who choose to live with us. Some cats can't be kept indoors. Its cruelty. Oh and give the owners a fine. Our pounds are already overcrowded lets shove them full of cats that people can't afford some stupid fine cuz their cat slipped out. Not to mention how busy animal control is catching loose dogs. Ever try to catch a cat? you can't unless it wants to be caught. I can't even catch my cat when he doesn't want in.

If you don't live where I live, don't talk like you do.
Is it more cruel to keep a cat inside, or to let it outside where at least once a week you see a mangled cat carcass? If you think it's evil fine. I don' even agree with keeping pets inside all the time, but with things like this, I think keeping them inside is the lesser of two evils right now.
Never have I seen a dog outside here that wasn't tethered, or leashed.

Don't act like you know every single thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 pm
My cats have always been indoor/outdoor. I have a lot of friends with outdoor cats. Granted, we lived in the country, but that brings it's own set of risks with natural predators. I also grew up with barn cats. The idea of it being unhealthy to let cats outside sounds insane to me. I don't live where you do, but I don't like the idea of someone else telling me the best way to keep my pets. I keep them happy and healthy, and I have enough knowledge of animal training and veterinary science that I think I'm qualified to make my own decisions about my animals.

I live in an apartment in town now, so if I get a cat, it'll most likely be indoor-only.

I've never heard of tethering a cat. I can't imagine it going well. I know cats that were leash trained, and I leash trained one of my cats as a kitten, but haven't put it on him in about 8 years, so I doubt he would still react well to it.  

AriaStarSong

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm
Yes, but cats can fight back to natural predators. They can't fight back against cars.
I do understand what you mean about not liking other people telling you, but when the cats are going outside, and getting hit by cars, etc, as they walk out, I consider that abuse.
And when these people turn around and whine about vetrinary bills, and don't bring their cats to the vet because "They have too many vet bills already", I think it's time to do something.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:41 pm
RosesFallingLikeRain
Yes, but cats can fight back to natural predators. They can't fight back against cars.
I do understand what you mean about not liking other people telling you, but when the cats are going outside, and getting hit by cars, etc, as they walk out, I consider that abuse.
And when these people turn around and whine about vetrinary bills, and don't bring their cats to the vet because "They have too many vet bills already", I think it's time to do something.
If they are refusing to pay the vet bills for serious injuries, then that would be considered abuse. Allowing wounds to fester and denying an animal in your care necessary medical care is abuse. If this is the case, you could contact the authorities about them.

As for natural predators... Cat vs. Cougar, who do you think won?
Natural predators that have been seen on my property (though not necessarily by me):
Cougar/Mountain Lion/Puma
Black Bear (though they're not particularly aggressive)
Coyotes
Lynx
Feral dogs (uncommon in my area, however)
Large birds of prey (I know there's a red-tailed hawk, and a couple osprey. I've seen bald eagles very occasionally. They'd have trouble carrying off MY cats, because they're monsters, but smaller cats would be easy prey)
We also have deer and elk that randomly roam through the area.
Our cats know to avoid the road. The cars scare them. I know more people in my area who have lost cats to coyotes than cars, though.

My cats have been injured as a result of being outdoors. Cider got into fights fairly regularly defending "his" territory. Jazz ripped his stomach open once, though we're not sure how. Being responsible pet owners, we took care of their injuries and treated their wounds, and they healed just fine.  

AriaStarSong

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:02 pm

They try not to make many vet visits.
They bring their pets there when absolutely necessary, but unless that, they try their hardest not to.

I thought because you lived in an apartment that you would have things like small predators.

13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces