Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Temple Tradition: A dedicants look (now open) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 am
To the one that I serve

Ok. After a lot of consideration I have decided to write up a thread about the Temple of Witchcraft Tradition as I understand it. I am only two months (just started a third) into my training at the time of this writing I can only go into what little I know.

There are things I am not able to reveal due to Oaths, but I will do my best to write up an understanding of the Temple of witchcraft Tradition.
I will give my all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 am
To the one that I serve

Table of contents:
0: introduction
1: Table of contents
2: Origins of the Temple of Witchcraft Tradition
3: The degrees and the Mystery schools
4: Membership in the tradition and my status
5: Concept of deity
6: Concept of the soul
7: Concept of Cosmology
8: Ethics
9: Sabbats
10: Magic
12: FAQ
13: Sources
I will give my all

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:35 am
Origins of the Temple of witchcraft Tradition:
This is from Chris Penczak himself:

Quote:

Basically the Temple Tradition unofficially grew out of the training I received in the Cabot Tradition of Witchcraft. I was asked to teach a series of classes by a small meditation group, I believe starting in 1997-1998 (tracking down old journal entries to try to get an exact time it switched from meditation to witchcraft). As I grew and expanded my own practice, that material was added into the courses, creating a system of personal development, training and inner initiation. With the publication of The Inner Temple of Witchcraft in 2002, I began to share it with the world and do the necessary work to build up the spiritual "Egregore" of the tradition by teaching classes all around the country. Soon those students referred to it as not only a system, but a full blown tradition, because that was what it was becoming. Now we seek legal status to do what other churches do, so we are a system, tradition and church all in one.
To the one that I serve

I will give my all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:36 am
To the one that I serve

The degrees and the mystery school:
The temple of witchcraft tradition is divided up into 5 different degrees. Each degree has it's own set of mysteries and is related to a specific element. They build on each other to create a coherant whole.

The first degree is the degree on the Oracular mysteries. These are the mysteries of fire and the sacred sight.

The second degree is what could be considered ecltic neo-paganism. This is the degree of earth and the fertility mysteries. This is where rituals and spell craft are learned.

The third degree is the element of water. These are the ecstatic mysteries. This degree focuses on the other world practices and deals with deep trance states.

The fourth degree are the mysteries of air and Gnosis. This degree deals with a Quabalistic style of practice with the focus on the tree of life. It is sort of like some aspects pf Ceremonial magic.

The fifth degree has two mysteries. This degree is what some would consider the element of spirit. These are the mysteries of resurrection and the mysteries of service. This degree when completed makes one an ordained minister. There are specific expectations of this degree located here

My status:
I am a dedicant of the first level of witchcraft which deal with the oracular mysteries which are also the mysteries of fire. It's about gaining the second sight and establishing a foundation for the deeper ritual experiences that come with the higher degrees.
I will give my all

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:39 am
Membership in the tradition:
temple of witchcraft website
Membership

Membership is divided amongst three main categories: General, Honored and Ministerial.

General Membership

General Membership of the Temple includes anyone who attends at least three official Temple of Witchcraft events and seeks to be an active member in the community.

Honored Membership

Those currently enrolled in, or graduates of, the Mystery School are considered Honored Members of the Temple, including all past students from the Temple of Witchcraft training before the establishment of the formal organization.

Ministerial Membership

Graduates of the Seminary School actively involved in the ministerial work of the Temple are Ministerial Members.
To the one that I serve

My status:
I am currently a dedicant and an Honored member of the tradition. I am enrolled in Witchcraft 1, which is the first level of training. I took a weekend intensive on witchcraft 3 a few years ago and knew from then that this was the tradition I wanted to study and become involved with.
I will give my all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:40 am
To the one that I serve

Concept of deity:

According to Chapter three of The Inner Temple of witchcraft There is a triple Goddess and a horned God that are worshiped as well as an overarching force called the great spirit.

The BoS for this degree basically allows us to come to our own understanding of deity. The specifics of this deity set may be discussed in further detail in the second degree.

The second degree gets more involved with the actual God and Goddess and the Sabbats and rituals. So For now I continue to work with the trinity of deities I have always worked with.
I will give my all

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:46 am
To the one that I serve

The concept of the soul:

The book for the first degree mentions a little bit about the three minds. Which to me is the start of the understanding of the soul, for I believe that the mind is a component of the soul.
I will give my all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 am
To the one that I serve

Concept of Cosmology:

The first degree doesn't cover the cosmology. However I have experienced the cosmology of the tradition due to weekend workshops with my teacher. So I can give a sketch.

Upperworld:
Angels and enlightened ones, etheric world

Middle world:
Spiritual vision of this world and the beings in this world

Underworld:
World of shadows, lands of the ancestors/dead,
I will give my all

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 am
To the one that I serve

Ethics:

The ethics of this tradition are common. The "Wiccan Rede" is the guideline for this tradition. However how we interpert "an it harm none do what ye will" is up to us. Thus we are able to do any action which we fill is appropriate for any situation.

That being said he does not encourage hexing and cursing. He always recommends stating that spells and rituals be for the good of all harming none. Which I can understand, but that doesn't mean it's a requirement.
I will give my all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49 am
To the one that I serve

The Sabbats:

According to the text book for this tradition and this degree there are the 8 basic sabbats.

Yule: Birth of the God

Imbolc: Homes blessed

Ostara: Earth rebirth

Beltane: Sexual union of God and Goddess

Litha: Marriage of God and Goddess

Lammas: First harvest festival

Mabon: Second harvest-Gods sacrifice

Samhain: Day of dead, leading God to learn mysteries of rebirth to be born at Yule
I will give my all

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:50 am
To the one that I serve

Magic:

The first definition we learn of magic is: "The science and art of causing change in conformity with will"

The first act of magic we learn is what he calls "Instant Magick". It is a system of magic dealing with specific symbols and visualizations that one can do any where with out any specific tools.
I will give my all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51 am
This is taken from the Temple website directly:

Quote:
Q: How do I become a member of the Temple of Witchcraft?

A: To become a General Member, simply attend three official events of the Temple of Witchcraft and make sure you check in at the start of the event so your attendance is logged. To become an Honored Member, enroll in the Mystery School to attend courses in person or online. To become a Ministerial Member, graduate from the Seminary and fulfill all requirements.

Q: Are there any dues to be paid to be a member of the Temple of Witchcraft?

A: No. Membership is based upon your level of commitment to various organizations in the Ministerial Church, Mystery School, and Seminary, with each having different classes of membership. To be a member you simply have to attend three official events, which may or may not have class fees or suggested donations, but there are no yearly membership dues to be a General Member of the Temple.

Q: Do I have to be a Witch to be a member?

No, though the Temple’s events and teachings focus on modern Witchcraft. Members who identify as Pagan, Neopagan, Heathen, Wiccan, Witch, Magician, Shaman, or other Earth-reverent identity will feel most at home. Those who identify as Spiritual, New Age, Non-Dogmatic, Gnostic, Theosophical, Interfaith, Healer or Light-Worker might find resonance with some of the teachings and events.

Q: Are scholarships available for events as well as the Mystery School or Seminary?

A: Yes, on a case-by-case basis, through arrangement with the specific instructor and/or institution or business hosting the event with the Temple. Please inquire.

Q: Can anyone be a member of the Temple of Witchcraft?

A: Yes, if they are in harmony and alignment with our basic mission, purpose and beliefs. While we all learn from each other, potential members should not join with an agenda to radically change the mission or nature of the Temple. Only those who have been permanently barred from membership—had membership revoked or banned by the Temple leadership due to behavioral issues—are not welcome.

Q: Do I have to be a member to volunteer in the Ministerial Church of the Temple?

A: Yes, though some projects might be in cooperation with other organizations of a similar nature and such events can be exceptions. Long term volunteer work should be done by full members of the Temple in any of the membership designations.

Q: How long does it take to become a Minister/High Priest/High Priestess of the Temple?

A: Generally the program is set for a five-year minimum, though some trainings are accelerated and others are decelerated.

Q: I’m very well educated/trained in other forms of magick and witchcraft. Do I have to start at Witchcraft I? I am a High Priest or High Priestess in another tradition. Can I start at Witchcraft V?

A: Generally those seeking ministerial accreditation are encouraged to start at the beginning of any program or tradition to fully understand the entire system. At times it is possible to “test out” of earlier levels, though strict criteria will be followed and one may only test out with the full approval of the head of the Sagittarian Ministry and the Board of Directors’ recommendation. Advanced students can potentially test out of Witchcraft I and II, but are encourage to take Witchcraft III and IV directly.

Q: Now that I’m in the Temple, what do I call myself?

A: There is no –ism or –ian based upon names, personalities, or founders within the Temple Tradition and organization. It is based upon sacred space, experience, and personal transformation. One is simply a Temple Witch. The tradition is simply the Temple of Witchcraft Tradition or, for short, the Temple Tradition.
To the one that I serve

I will give my all

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 am
To the one that I serve

Sources:

My sources for the Information in this thread are:
Temple of witchcraft series by Chris Penczak
Instant Magick by Chris Penczak
Power of the Witch by Laurie Cabot
Temple tradition home page
I will give my all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:21 pm
Do you find any conflict in following oaths to secrecy to a person who published other's secrets for profit?  

TeaDidikai

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Do you find any conflict in following oaths to secrecy to a person who published other's secrets for profit?
To the one that I serve

I'm a little torn to be honest. Part of me thinks that he should be held accountable for publishing information he wasn't supposed to. I don't feel it's right. However as I dont know the exact circumstances under which Penczak published other's secrets for profit I cant really judge. Who knows. Perhaps to him it wasn't breaking any secrecy.
I will give my all

PathWays

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces