Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
How to be an Elf [Elves Only] (Closed) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm

User Image
Attention (September 25, '10): Iceewitch and myself (Avatar34) will both be Teaching this Class. Please respect both of us, and you can find more information >here<

I am your instructor, Alicia Elf. Does the name sound familiar?? Well it should be because I'm also the Head Elf. It's been awhile since I've taught this class, but it's time I get reacquainted with my fellow house-elves. Hopefully during the next few weeks, you'll learn all you need to know about this guild. Now this course is only for those elves who want to be good elves, and move up to the student position, or stay an elf (like me) and serve masters and misses all the same. This is the only class (as of now) restricted to House-Elves.

Please note:

My Gaia life (I can't believe I have to say I have one)
and my RL (and that's about 6 lives in one)
are both extremely hectic. I will do my best to update this class.
When I'm on Gaia I am usually extremely busy handling
guild concerns. However my first priority was to help the elves
and it's time I get my priorities straight.
With that said, I will try getting a new lesson up once a week (maybe every ten days)
but I can't make any promises. You can expect more than one lesson this term though!

Thanks, read on!

Hello all. I'm Professor Tina Aurora. I'll be helping Alicia out with Teaching this Class. Not only am I Teaching this Class (with help from Alicia) but, I also Teach Astronomy, an the Head Dueling Instructor, Editor and Chief of the Hogwarts Monthly, a Graduate, and a Mod. So, I am very busy here. I take my classes very seriously, however I am also in charge of other things in the HPGoG, so I get very busy, quickly. Just as Alicia does. With all of this said, I do want you to know that there will be 3 Lessons and a Final, this Term. They will be posted every 7 (or every 10) days.

Please Note:
That I am also very busy on Gaia as well as in real life.
As you know, I am in charge of alot of things in HPGoG and I take it all seriously.
With this in mind, please remember that I'm doing my best to keep everything going.
So, if something is late, on my part, don't worry, it will be posted either by myself or by Alicia.
This class is important to HPGoG as well as Alicia and myself.

Keep reading!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:11 pm

User Image

If you've already read the Giggling Pear (if not, do it NOW), then you know that any elf class is important.
Why? Because it can help you get sorted! All you have to do is complete a few lessons...
We decided to add some extra incentives in completing lessons!
Instead of the previous Cooking/Cleaning courses, I've added this new course
specifically to make sure that newer members know what they're doing. I hope to make this class fun, but also a nice learning experience. Right now all of the elves are important because you all may very soon be students in our guild! I want to show you the fun aspects of it all!

The class will work in three sections:
Introduction
Cleaning
Cooking
Final

Current Course study is Introduction. This course will include lessons focused on different areas, a practical exam (*yay*), and homework.

IceeWitch

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 am

User Image

Enroll today to participate in all the fun!
To enroll simply post (do NOT PM me {Iceewitch or Avatar34}) the following information:

Username:
Role play name (if applicable):

Enrolled List:
The Triwizard Cup (Ash{ley})
AllieAmma (Lucinda)
chichibunni (Sophie {Soph})
thomlina (Nina)
0re04rmdasouth (chuchube)
Toph Mellow ( Fifi )
taylorrazz (Alice)
Riku is my Twin (Binkie)
Queen of the Dark World (Alice)
Caneriva (Cane)

*Check the Guildmemberslist for post counts. Once you post that info you can PM me the homework!
(even if I haven't added your name to the list)

Must enroll in order to have homework credited

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:19 am
User Image

Lesson Three

*All Information was taken from Kitchen Cleaning Tips *

Kitchen Cleaning Tips
* Remember, Once again some of the things spoken of here are not used at Hogwarts due to the fact that we have magic. However, you should know this information too! *

Cleaning up the kitchen is part of cooking. Not only is it easier to cook and bake in a clean kitchen, but clean surfaces and storage containers will keep your family healthier and safer. Take some time to learn these easy tips and preventative measures and before you know it your kitchen will be automatically cleaner and less cluttered. Make cleaning second nature and you'll save time.

General Tips

o-Have a place for everything. It's much easier to use a utensil or appliance, clean it and put it away when it has a home. I use foil as an example in my kitchen. I have a special drawer that is used just for foil, plastic wrap and parchment paper. Those items are always easy to find, and are put away after each use because they have a special home.
o-Don't mix ammonia and bleach because it will create toxic fumes.
o-Identify spots in your kitchen that accumulate clutter and take a few minutes every day to clear those spots and place objects in their correct homes.
o-Try to end each day with a clean, empty kitchen sink. Run the dishwasher before you go to bed and unload it first thing in the morning.
o-A sponge is actually a great way to spread germs. I prefer using paper towels, discarding them after cleaning each surface, to totally prevent cross-contamination.

Quick Fixes
o-To quickly clean burned food on a pan, add some dish soap and 1/2" of water. Bring to a boil, and then let the liquid cool in the pan. The burned food will be easy to remove.
o-When food spills over and burns on the oven floor, sprinkle a handful of salt on the mess. The smoke will be reduced and the spill easier to clean after the oven cools. You can add some cinnamon to the salt to help reduce odors.
o-To clean your microwave oven, mix together 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice or vinegar and 2 cups of water in a 4 cup glass microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for two to three minutes. Carefully remove the bowl and wipe the microwave with paper towels. Repeat as necessary.
o-To clean sluggish drains, pour 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain. Add 1/2 cup white vinegar and cover the drain. Let this mixture foam for a few minutes, and then pour 8 cups of boiling water down the drain. To flush it. Do not use this combination after using any commercial drain opener or cleaner.
o-I like to put lemon or lime pieces through the garbage disposal every few days for a clean fresh smell. To freshen the garbage disposal, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of baking soda down the drain, drop in two ice cubes and turn it on. Then run the hot water for a few minutes while the disposal is working.
o-If plastic from the bread wrapper melts onto your toaster, use a little nail polish remover to get it off. Let the toaster cool before you try this.
o-Clean your coffee maker every few weeks by filling the water reservoir with equal parts white vinegar and water and putting it through the brew cycle. Then use clean fresh water and repeat the brew cycle to rinse the machine. Repeat with fresh water two more times.
o-If you don't have a self-cleaning oven, scrape up any large spills, then spray cleaner inside the oven, close the door and let it sit overnight so the cleaner has time to work.
o-For glass cooktops, there are special commercial cleaners that work well. Use them with a hard plastic scraper to remove burned-on food. Clean your glass cooktop as soon as it cools to avoid having to scrub burned food.
o-To clean a blender, squirt a few drops of liquid soap into it, fill halfway with warm water, cover and blend away the mess. Rinse and repeat if necessary. You can also use this method for food processors.
o-For lime and mineral deposits on your kitchen sink faucet, wrap vinegar-soaked paper towels around faucets for about an hour. This breaks down the mineral scale, and the chrome will be clean and shiny after buffing with a dry paper towel.
o-If you don't have a self-cleaning oven, place racks in the bathtub with about 1/2 cup dishwasher detergent and cover them with several inches of warm water. Let the racks soak for 45 minutes, then rinse and dry.

Make Your Own Cleaning Solutions
o-For your own window washing solution, mix 1/3 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol in a 1 quart spray bottle. Fill up with water.
o-Dry baking soda cleans chrome perfectly.
o-Cream of tartar and water mixed to a paste will clean porcelain.
o-A paste of baking soda and water will clean coffee stains.
o-Plain liquid Ivory soap mixed with water is one of the best all-purpose cleaners. You can keep this solution in a spray bottle, but only use a bit of soap or the mixture may become too foamy to spray.
o-Use a cut lemon half sprinkled with salt to clean copper.
o-Dissolve 1/4 cup baking soda in 1 quart of warm water for a good general cleaner.

Prevention

o-Clean up spills as they occur so you won't be faced with one huge cleaning session.
o-Did you know that you use 20% of your utensils 80% of the time? Any tool or appliance which doesn't get used during a week of cooking should be cleaned and stored to save counter and cupboard space and cleaning time.
o-It's easier to clean a grill if you do it after each use. Also oil the grill rack before each use to make cleanup easier.
o-Wash as you go. Fill one half of a double sink or a separate waterproof tub with hot soapy water and drop in utensils as you use them. Food won't dry on the utensils and cleanup will be a breeze.
o-Once every 7-10 days, remove all the food from your refrigerator, wipe down the inside with warm soapy water, clean all the shelves and trays, and then replace the food. As you work, check expiration dates and discard food past those dates. Place an open box of baking soda in the back of the fridge.
o-Once a month, remove all the food from your pantry, wipe down with a clean damp cloth, check for spoilage and expiration dates, then replace items in their designated places.

Lesson Three
Questions:

1. Clean surfaces and storage containers will keep your family ____ and _____.
2. Don’t mix ___ and ___.
3. Why?
4. Try to end each day with a clean, what?
5. When should you load the dishwasher and when should you unload it?
6. To clean burnt food on a pan what should you do?
7. When food spills over and burns on the oven floor, what do you do?
8. To freshen a garbage disposal what do you do?
9. To clean copper what can you use?
10. How many times a year should you remove all the food from your pantry, wipe down with a clean damp cloth, check for spoilage and expiration dates, then replace items in their designated places?

Questions? PM IceeWitch or

IceeWitch

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:25 pm
User Image

If you missed a lesson, never fear
for you can catch up reading here!

Lesson Two

Lesson Two
Top 15 Kitchen Safety Tips

All information taken from Top 15 Kitchen Safety Tips

*Remember, Some of These Tips Regard Using Muggle appliances, some are not used here because we have magic but, you should know about them also! *

The kitchen is a dangerous place. Not only are you working with hot surfaces, and boiling liquid, but you're handling sharp knives and utensils that can injure you in a second. So let's learn how to stay safe in the kitchen.

1. Keep Kids and Pets Out!
Children and pets do not belong in the kitchen. Unless the kids are helping you or learning how to cook, keep them out of the area. Not only can kids and pets be a distraction, but they can easily hurt themselves by getting into raw food, pulling hot pots down, and tripping you while you're carrying something heavy. When you want to teach your kids, be sure to start with simple recipes that don’t involve a lot of cutting, heat, or appliances. Don't hold a baby or child while you are cooking. And remember to teach children to respect the kitchen. It's not a place for horseplay or fighting.

2. Wear Shoes and Safe Clothing
Like Chandler in Friends (a Muggle TV show), I once dropped a knife on my foot. I did need stitches, although I didn't actually sever my toe. From that day on, I learned that wearing shoes, good sturdy shoes, is essential to kitchen safety. Make sure you are wearing safe clothes too. Sleeves should not be long and flowy. Do not wear loose clothing or anything flammable, and avoid synthetic clothing, which can melt onto your skin if it catches on fire.

3. Don't Rush
Rushing around the kitchen will almost guarantee accidents. Unless you're a pro, cut food slowly, do not run from station to station, and take your time when moving hot pots and pans. Saving a few minutes here and there will be negated if you need to make a trip to the Hospital Wing. Also never try to bake or cook if you are very sleepy.

4. Always Use Hot Pads
Keep a good selection of hot pads and oven mitts on hand. Always use them for any bowl, pot, or pan that has been in an appliance. It's especially important to use these items on bowls you are pulling out of the microwave oven. Even microwave-safe bowls can get quite hot, and it's easy to burn yourself. And if a hot pad or oven mitt gets wet, don't use it until it dries. A wet pad or cloth will easily transmit heat.

5. Stir Away From Your Body
Last year, I got a severe burn on my arm when I was stirring some pasta boiling away on the stove. Some of the water bubbled up and hit my hand, which jerked, sending a spoonful of boiling water onto my arm. This caused a second-degree burn. Now, when I stir pasta, I use a slotted spoon, and I position the spoon so the bowl is facing away from me. This way, if my hand does jerk again, I won't scoop boiling water toward myself. So, even though it's counter intuitive, hold the bowl of the spoon away from yourself when stirring something hot and boiling.

6. Learn how to Use Knives
Learn how to use a knife and treat them with respect. Knives should always be sharp. A dull knife can slip and cut. Learn how to chop and slice as chefs do, holding the food with your non-dominant hand, fingers curled under. Go slow until you are confident, and always pay attention.

7. Know Your Equipment and Handle it Properly
Read instructions that come with appliances and understand how to use them. Never use an appliance that has a frayed cord, and keep small appliances dry and away from water. And never use your fingers to release something caught in food processor blades or mixers.
Be careful with the blades on food processors and blenders; they can be very sharp and can cut you if you just brush against them. Let appliances cool down before cleaning them. And don't use an appliance for a purpose for which it wasn't created.

8. Clean Up Spills Promptly
Cleaning up spills as you go not only helps save time when cleaning the kitchen, but will help prevent accidents. Water, food, and grease on the floor will almost guarantee a fall.
Watch out for cooking sprays too. If they are sprayed on the floor, the surface will become very slippery. I always hold the pan I'm spraying over the sink so any over spray will not land on the floor.

9. Know Your Limits when Lifting
Lifting a hot pot of boiling pasta is one of the most dangerous of kitchen techniques. Think about getting a pasta cooker that consists of a strainer inserted into a larger pot. You just lift the pasta out of the water to drain it, instead of moving a heavy pot of boiling water from the stove to sink. Lift using your knees and back, and know your limits. Ask for help if you need to move or transfer something heavy.

10. Watch Out for Steam
Steam can burn just as easily as boiling liquid or a hot burner. Be especially careful around covered microwaved foods, and foods that have been cooked in packets. Open these packages away from your face, and remember to use hot pads. And when you lift a cover off a boiling pot, pull the cover toward you so you don't burn your hand with steam. The kitchen is a dangerous place. Not only are you working with hot surfaces, and boiling liquid, but you're handling sharp knives and utensils that can injure you in a second.

11. Learn how to Extinguish Fires
Always have a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen, and be sure that you know how to use it before you need it. Know a little bit about different fires. Never try to extinguish grease and electric fires with water; baking soda or a pan cover work best. Smothering a fire by removing air is the best way to put most out. Use a pot cover, baking soda, or salt, not water. A fire in the microwave can be put out just by turning the appliance off and keeping the door closed. A fire in the oven should be extinguished with baking soda or a fire extinguisher. If you can't douse the fire in a few seconds, call the fire department. Fires can spread so quickly and can get out of control in minutes.

12. Be Careful Around Stove Burners
Always keep pot handles turned away from the front of the stove; it's too easy to accidentally brush against them and spill hot food on yourself. Never reach over a hot burner to another pan. Push back your sleeves when cooking food on the stove top. And keep pot covers handy to smother flames.

13. Don't Leave Food Unattended
Never leave the house when food is cooking or baking, except for a slow cooker. I put my slow cooker on my cool stove top just so it's on a heatproof surface. Food can quickly go from browning to burning to bursting into flame. If there are children or pets in your household, make sure an adult is in the kitchen at all times. Accidents happen in seconds.

14. Stop, Drop and Roll
Learn personal safety and fire safety. Teach your children about 'stop, drop, and roll' if their clothing catches on fire. In fact, teach your kids to respect the kitchen, fire, and heat. Nothing in the kitchen is a toy.

15. Keep a First Aid Kit in the Kitchen
Most people keep a First-Aid Kit in the bathroom. One belongs in the kitchen as well. Make sure it's stocked with up-to-date equipment, including gauze, burn salve, scissors, and the phone number for your doctors and nearby hospitals.

Homework
Lesson Two
Questions:

1. Should children and pets be in the Kitchen while you are cooking? Why?
2. What kind of clothing and shoes do NOT belong in the Kitchen while cooking?
3. If a hot pad or oven mitt gets wet what do you do?
4. How should you hold a spoon when stirring something hot or boiling?
5. How do chefs chop and slice food?
6. What can guarantee a fall in the Kitchen?
7. What can burn just as bad as a boiling liquid or a hot burner?
8. What is the best way to put out a grease or electric fire?
9. If you have kids, what should you teach them?
10. What should be in the First-Aid Kit kept in the Kitchen?

Questions? PM IceeWitch or

Lesson One

Welcome to HPGoG!

This course usually begins with a question: What is an elf? A very simple question to answer!
An elf is a new member who hasn't been sorted yet OR
a member who hasn't been sorted yet.
In short: An elf is anyone who has not qualified to take the Sorting Test!
If you're in this class, that means YOU!
Luckily the Giggling Pear has been updated with all sorts of information house-elves should find helpful,
so I won't make this lesson all about House-Elf basic knowledge. biggrin

Instead I'm welcoming you to the guild...for many, it's a bit late xp
Any elf who has read the Giggling Pear knows enough information to be an elf. It's okay to make mistakes (unknowingly) a few times since you're new.
However if the moderators feel that they have given enough reminders, punitive (punishments) consequences will occur.
Even a banning is possible. However for the most part that has never happened!
The Giggling Pear (in a sense, our common room) is one of the busiest places in HPGoG!
I'm happy that many of you have already posted there a few times...if you haven't go there now.
There's not really much more I'd like to say in this lesson, so....

Homework!
Your homework is extremely simple. Please read the instructions carefully.

1) Please make sure you have read The Entrance Hall, Welcome, and Giggling Pear threads as soon as possible. A quiz on all three will be next!
2) Go to the Discussion subforum and create a topic. I always make this an assignment because many members are afraid to make new threads, don't be (as long as it's in the right place!)
It's a great way to interact with all the other members.
Be sure to read the Guidelines to the Discussion first to be sure your topic will not be spam.
PM me the link to your new topic.
**I only want ONE PM from each person. Please put 'Homework 1' as the subject so I'll know what it is**

*Note lessons will be placed here when the next lesson is posted. Homework is NOT accepted once answers have been posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 pm
User Image

A list of elves who completed the assigned work:
The Triwizard Cup (Ash{ley})
0re04rmdasouth (chuchube)
XxKittieKatzxX (Lacey)
Riku is my Twin

Lesson One Homework!
Your homework is extremely simple. Please read the instructions carefully.

1) Please make sure you have read The Entrance Hall, Welcome, and Giggling Pear threads as soon as possible. A quiz on all three will be next!
2) Go to the Discussion subforum and create a topic. I always make this an assignment because many members are afraid to make new threads, don't be (as long as it's in the right place!)
It's a great way to interact with all the other members.
Be sure to read the Guidelines to the Discussion first to be sure your topic will not be spam.
PM me the link to your new topic.
**I only want ONE PM from each person. Please put 'Homework 1' as the subject so I'll know what it is**

IceeWitch

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:39 pm
User Image
These are the elves who post here regularly, complete homework, and are constantly in the Pear.

User Image User Image User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:47 pm
*Special Thank Youussss!*

MISS LOVE TANTEI FOR ELF IMAGES
JUNIMAIA FOR FILLING IN DURING MY ABSENCE

Icee LUFFS YA

IceeWitch

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:30 pm
heart

Reserved

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:34 pm
For the first time ever (taught by me), we're going to have a Cooking part of this class!

Also feel free to sign up! Don't expect a lesson until next week!

Edit: This is from several Terms ago. Please take everything on this first page as correct information and pretend that there is nothing in the middle. That way, we can keep the old Classroom and all we have to do it pick up and carry on, anew.

IceeWitch

Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces