Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
A Critique Please! XP

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bubblegum_Paint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:47 am
So I was wondering do you guys think this person looks like a guy? I was told it looks like a transvestite... also is her head too big cause I have looked at this drawing too many times now to tell. So any clue peoples. xp

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:22 am
      The shape of the head and jaw can GREATLY affect whether the figure looks masculine or feminine.
      Whenever I draw girls I always think dainty. Like a fragile vase. Something fragile would be slimmer and smoother and thinner (etc) than a sturdy vase, which might be thicker, wider, rougher (etc). Get what I'm saying? surprised

Try thinning her neck and jaw. Actually, just thinning the neck a little bit might fix your problem.

One more thing that might be a little offputting is the way you did her hair. To not to shade it so very... in locks? Everyone's hair does something different, so maybe thats what you were going for. But when doing hair, do it one (or so) strand(s) at a time, and make them light and feathery~ (depending on what type of hair you're going for, obv.)

If you have more questions, I have a mentor/help thread here. C:
      I hope I helped!

ASHLEYASDFGH

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:25 pm
well i'll tell you what it is. its the neck. its very broad and you shaded it so it looks flat and it makes it look even thicker.

even though it is very hard to do you can draw a woman, that looks like one, with masculine features. what i found to kind of work for me when i atempt it is to start with short straight lines and then give them a very slight curve to them. if that makes sense at all xD  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:38 pm
User Image

I did a quick redline, but it's basically just repeating what other folks have said. Fix the jawline, fix the shoulder/neck area, and also I noticed that her eyes were a little far away from one another so I moved them a little closer together. The redline falls apart a bit as you go down from the head (and I suck at necks), but it should hopefully be fairly accurate. Find a reference image if you don't already have one.

When drawing women, it's important to remember the power of suggestion. If you draw in certain details, they will look too buff/masculine.

Let me know if you have any questions. :3  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

no surrender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:15 pm
I agree with what everyone else has said.

Just a quick pointer with pencil sketches or any sketches really;
try to make the strokes conform with the shape of the thing you're trying to convey. I mean, make the lines go around her arm as if her arm was a three dimensional object, it really helps to add depth and make the image seem less flat. For instance in [This] image, the artist has used strokes that work with the form, rather then random ones.
This technique is what separates an awesome pencil drawing from a great one.
Hope it helps!

I'm really glad to see someone drawing realism though, it's harder than anime, but it's worth it in the end!
Good luck!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 am
Aww thanks for the crits everyone, I guess I'll try to fix the neck and all of these will help me get better with my art. Also an extra special thanks to the person who did the red lines!  

Bubblegum_Paint

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff