Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Problem - Gravy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Regenbogencolours

6,000 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:02 am
{ Regenbogencolours }

Hey @ll
I'm not sure if there was ever a question like that, but I'm really curious and I'm not sure where else I could find a solution.

I'm now a vegetarian for about 2 months, and I really thought I knew every product I can eat...until today, where I found out that also in gravy (http://www.daskochrezept.de/_img_upload/media/rezepte/58488/mid_49875f9461af6.jpg) there is meat extract included(no wonder I felt sick after finding that out mad ) – My mother hadn’t had the package anymore and I only found out as she bought a new one.
Well, tough the question may seem strange, I wanted to know if anybody knows a sauce which comes near to it? I really like the taste of it, but just the thought of meat in it makes me really, really sick -_____-"
I hope I don’t look like an idiot : and that anybody can help me. (Hopefully I don’t offend anyone with this).

{ Become a hero made of ordinary marrow and extraordinary heart }

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:13 am
Not all gravy has meat or animal fat in it. There is an imitation chicken gravy that is very tasty and is labeled vegetarian on the package. It's a powered mix, just add water. Tofurky also makes a vegan mushroom gravy that tastes very good. It's frozen, and you just heat it up. I am sure there are others; those are just the ones I am familiar with. You just have to look around. And be aware that some mushroom gravy recipes use beef fat. So read the ingredients carefully! 3nodding  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

ana_grl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:39 am
well my mom, shes a great southern cooker, she makes homemade gravy with just flour and veggie oil and thats all i could tell you i dont really make gravy since its full of fat  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 am
My bet is mushroom gravy, there are lots of vegetarian options you just have to try them out and see which ones you like. It would probably take some work on your part to make sure you've got something you feel you can eat.  

Tandahda

at my windowsill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:45 pm

The internet is full of veg*n solutions. Look something up, try something out.
    Who knows, you might like the 'alternatives' more than your traditional stand-by.

Veg*n recipe sites and blogs are a great place to start, with many having 'comments' sections,
    so you can see how the recipe holds up and what other people think of it before you try it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:34 pm
Mmmm I think that's from Vegan Brunch (a wonderful cookbook) I haven't tried that one yet but it looks so fantastic. : )  

Tandahda

Regenbogencolours

6,000 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:26 am
Wow, I really! thank you all for your tipps. I'll look around to find something, i only always thought there were no vegetarian sauces like this one. Moreover I'll visit the site, thank you all sooo much biggrin heart  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:22 pm
I found a mushroom gravy recipe that tastes almost just like brown gravy, which I love sooo much smile
Mushroom Gravy
-1 onion, finely diced
-a handful of mushrooms(I do about 5 or 6 of those little white ones)
-1/4 cup soy sauce(if you use low sodium, you might want to bump it up to
1/2 cup)
-2 cups vegetable broth
-1/2 cup water
-5 tbsp flour

Saute the onion in oil for about 5 minutes. While that sautes. mix together the broth, water and flour until the flour is dissolved. After 5 minutes, throw in the mushrooms and saute a minute more. Add the broth mix and soy sauce. Simmer until thickened.  

Peppermint Cherry

eveejoystar

Invisible Poster

6,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:12 pm
Pioneer Brand peppered gravy doesn't have meat in it. And I think there's a gravy recipe on theveggietable.com  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:47 pm
Thanks, thanks, thanks, I'm going to try this out heart heart heart  

Regenbogencolours

6,000 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

autumnapples13

3,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:50 pm
I loooooooooove the mushroom gravy we make. We sautee mushrooms, then pour the grease into a pan, add flour, brown, then add water. It is the BEST xd  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:41 am
i know i've seen mushroom gravies before- i dont have a recipe on hand, but they're not uncommon  

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100

elysia_nuru

Antique Bloodsucker

13,625 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:03 pm
If you have a British store near you (or want to go to Amazon), then I suggest Bisto gravy mix. Most of them are vegetarian, and also very good. I also recommend their chip shop curry sauce mix.  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games