Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
No Surrender Skectches. ||UPDATED!| 11 March Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visitors...
  +1
View Results

no surrender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 am
Hello everyone.

About me
I'm 16 and I've been drawing seriously now since 2007. I'm working hard to improve, and spend anywhere upto 4 hours a day practicing art. I don't believe in talent, just hard work. razz
I do regular art classes in painting landscapes every week, however I find it hard to get people to help me drawing people. razz
Any critiques would be greatly loved, and just so you know - I like them rough. ; )

Weaknesses
There are some things that I'm expecially bad at, help in these areas would be appreciated
Mood/Tone
Expressions
Dynamic/Exciting poses
Architecture, internal and external
Mechanical designs
Weapons

15 December

Here I was really concerntrating on skin colouring above all, trying to make it contrast enough and not be too unsaturated. Any help would be glorious. : )
[Christmas Pin Up
Thanks for your time : D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:35 pm
27 December 2009

Quick sketch of a girls face. 2 hours max? Yea. |||FIXED|||
User Image Original
[Experimenting with Copics, (not very good)]
[Again Copics. LuL]  

no surrender

Nonobotica

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:04 am
Not bad at all, nice job on the nose and some of the shading. I think the whites of her eyes are too, blank, they kind of rip holes in her face, try not to use blank, almost white is good, id say the same for the background too.

Shes very pouty, no?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:24 am
Ah thanks!
I see what you mean. Eyes are a major pitfall of mine.
Yes she is very pouty. LOL. Is that a bad thing? xD  

no surrender

Nonobotica

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:39 am
no surrender
Ah thanks!
I see what you mean. Eyes are a major pitfall of mine.
Yes she is very pouty. LOL. Is that a bad thing? xD

People and their eyes, dawmn.
Its only a bad thing if you didnt want her to look that pouty! ;D  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:42 am
Yea. LOL.
I got my brother to model for this pictures eyes. xD
He didn't know it was going to turn into a girl.

Pouty was what I was going for ;P  

no surrender

Nonobotica

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:48 am
Heheh. Id say try again! Im guessing you used photoshop or something on this. Try again, but this time colour the background so it isnt pure white. The colour of background can help set the skin tone as well. Or take this image and look at it with a coloured BG.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:12 am
I'm doing another picture at the moment, taking into account what you said! : )
Also, I edited my first picture. I picked a complementary colour because I had no idea what to pick. D:  

no surrender

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:36 pm
just to quickly say its a very nice pic

though there is one kinda big perspective error. you spaced the eyes as if she is looking right at us. you were on the right track with making the eye further away from us narrower then the eye closest to us. when you don't space the eyes properly it creates this kind of flat faced look where you don't get the plane change from the front of the face to the side of the head

otherwise i really like it.
if anything was unclear or you have any questions let me know  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:18 am
Oh god. I see what you mean. D:
XD It looks so silly.
I think I've been doing this with many of my artworks, because I can never get the eyes to look right, unless they are square on. D:
Thanks a bunch for pointing it out! (I think I did it in the new picture I'm posting too. D: )

----

UPDATED
28 December 09
[Original]

I was doing a picture of my avitar, planning to soft shade the whole thing, but then I was inspired by the rough kind of otherworldly feel of the unfinished hand. I didn't want to spoil it, so I just left it like that. razz
I made the eyes a darker colour, and used a grey colour on the background as Nonobotica suggested.
I do notice that her neck is very small. D:
Anything else anyone can help with?  

no surrender

ASHLEYASDFGH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:55 am
      The only thing I can say might need a little work, in ALL of your pictures you've posted, is that maybe you should bump up the contrast a little. 3nodding
      In some spots, like in the most recent one you've posted, in the eye region, the contrast is nice and strong. But then in others, such as the lips, sides of the face, where the neck and chin meet, in the hair, it just kind of fades away. Contrast almost always makes a picture more dynamic, and helps it to pop more. And, especially if you're not going to have any lineart, it is VERY essential in keep the picture from looking like its all a solid color shadow sort of thing. 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:09 pm
Yea. Contrast is a constant problem of mine.
I've been trying to improve it for aggess. They used to be even more flat. D:
I'll work on that though, thanks!  

no surrender

ASHLEYASDFGH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:08 pm
Holy cow!
Thankyou sooo much! : D That was soo helpful omg. :'D
That was awesome! I've fixed it up now, so hopefully it's better. D: Still learning LOL.
I've now edited the picture a bit so it's much better now, however I'm still having trouble with the nose region, I couldn't find any references that worked.
- added more contrast
- completely redrew the mouth with reference
Fixed version
User Image
The original is still in the previous post, but I made it a link now so it won't page stretch. :>  

no surrender

ASHLEYASDFGH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 pm
      MARVELOUS~ ! see how contrast can help make things POP? :'D
      thats an amazing improvment!

For the nose, I think you just need to get rid of that tiny shadow underneath it, and turn it into more of a thin line of a shadow, and bring it out a bit more, and round it off at the corner where it meets the under-eye shadow.

If you dont get what I'm saying (I've never been good with words gonk ) I'll draw you a visual in the morning. 3nodding

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff