Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mydnyte Dystopia

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:13 pm
I don't listen to "enough" of a variety of bands, or I don't listen to the "right" ones. I guess I'm kinda new to the scene, (only really understood what the goth subculture really is about for perhaps 8 months or so) and I seem to have jumped straight into Industrial. Lately I've been going backwards and checking out the orginals, like Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, etc. but I feel somewhat intimidated by the musical repertoire of many. How does one discover such a variety of bands, and is it a constant "build"? (also, how does one listen to enough songs by each to truly be able to say that they "like" their music?)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:19 pm
Same thing here.
So I dont know how to answer that.
Wait awhile.
People will come.
:')

bittersweet world girl

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:02 pm
This is a weird question, not gonna lie.

All I can say is that I'm am constantly building and increasing my musical repertoire. It's a living entity unto myself. I was actually just thinking today about how much my musical tastes have broadened over the years. I used to try to pigeon-hole myself and be like "I only listen to this genre" - kind of as a musical trademark. But that's so limiting. Very musically immature.

I listen to a wide range of things.
Tips for building your library:

1. Pandora.com [always a good one]

2. Allmusic.com [type in an artist you like and then check out the "sounds like" list toward the bottom of their page

3. Always take a friend up on their musical suggestions [if it's a band you haven't heard, of course]

4. Don't discount an artist because they may be "overrated" or "popular" or because they are part of a genre you claim to hate. i.e. for the most part I really hate what I affectionately term "black people music" but I really love Beyoncé.

5. Check out some of the "related videos" when you watch music vids on YouTube. Sometimes those have similar artists that may be just as cool.

6. Also, some artists on MySpace have a section that looks like their friend section for artists that they support. This can be a good spot to check out new bands as well.

Regarding how much music you can listen to by a band before you say you like them: that's just silly. There's no gauge for that. And if you feel like you're a fake when you say you like a band - because you suspect the person you're talking to is way more into them than you - then you can always qualify what you mean when you say "I like them". Don't be afraid to admit that you just got into a band; or that you've only heard a few songs but like what you've heard; or that there are a few choice songs by them that you like but the rest is eh.

Also, there's no "right" band. The only time you aren't listening to the right music is when you're listening to stuff because you feel you're obligated to, and not because you truly like it. The "right" music is the music that you love.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:49 pm
Get ahold of the following bands works:

Barenaked Ladies
Mad Capsule Markets
Hatebreed
Infectious Grooves/Suicidal Tendancies
Richard Cheese

There is enough musical variety in them 5/6 bands that you'd never need worry about if your musical taste is diverse enough again. Mwahahahaa.  

Rellik San
Crew

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:16 am
Not to be a d**k here, but why exactly is it so important listen to a wide variety of music?
No disrespect intended, but isn't it just enough to listen to the stuff you like?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 pm
L Ron Jeremy
Not to be a d**k here, but why exactly is it so important listen to a wide variety of music?
No disrespect intended, but isn't it just enough to listen to the stuff you like?
Well the point it to diversify, if you listen to purely stuff you like, you'll find your music collection growing stagnant, its always worth giving something new a go, just in case you do like it.  

Rellik San
Crew

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:16 pm
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy
Well the point it to diversify, if you listen to purely stuff you like, you'll find your music collection growing stagnant, its always worth giving something new a go, just in case you do like it.
I've never grown tired of any of the stuff I listen to. And most of this is stuff I've been listening to since I can practically walk.
Hell, my one copy of Sleep in Safety's pretty much been stuck in whatever CD player I've had at the time for going on 10 years now.
Anything "diverse" that I listen to was most likely introduced to me completely by coincidence, as I've honestly never actually made an effort to branch out.

I suppose it's all relative then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:51 pm
L Ron Jeremy
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy
I've never grown tired of any of the stuff I listen to. And most of this is stuff I've been listening to since I can practically walk.
Hell, my one copy of Sleep in Safety's pretty much been stuck in whatever CD player I've had at the time for going on 10 years now.
Anything "diverse" that I listen to was most likely introduced to me completely by coincidence, as I've honestly never actually made an effort to branch out.

Or you're just a stagnant person.  

MortSanglant

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:12 am
L Ron Jeremy
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy

So the mood never takes you to listen to something cheery and irreverat, or something cheesy and overblown?

Doesn't that strike you as odd? Or at least making you a very one dimensional person?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 am
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy

So the mood never takes you to listen to something cheery and irreverat, or something cheesy and overblown?

Doesn't that strike you as odd? Or at least making you a very one dimensional person?

No, it doesn't strike me as odd that I don't try to branch out genre-wise, and how exactly does my music taste in any way affect how I am as a person?

Mort: You know what they say about people who assume...

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:43 am
The Spirit of Vengeance
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy

No, it doesn't strike me as odd that I don't try to branch out genre-wise, and how exactly does my music taste in any way affect how I am as a person?

Because it shows you have no interest in exploring new horizons or trying new things. An unwillingness to learn or enhance yourself in anyway shape or form.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:52 am
Rellik San
The Spirit of Vengeance
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy
Rellik San
L Ron Jeremy

Because it shows you have no interest in exploring new horizons or trying new things. An unwillingness to learn or enhance yourself in anyway shape or form.

3nodding

@ Vengeance: I was speculating. Quite different from assuming.

MortSanglant

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:59 am
Might I add, there's a huge difference between expanding your musical tastes just so you can say "Hey, aren't I awesome I listen to so much different music!" and expanding your library because you truly have an interest in the different bands you listen to.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:17 pm
MortSanglant
Might I add, there's a huge difference between expanding your musical tastes just so you can say "Hey, aren't I awesome I listen to so much different music!" and expanding your library because you truly have an interest in the different bands you listen to.

Not to butt in, but, what you said there definitely makes sense; I agree.  

Mydnyte Dystopia

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 pm
Mydnyte Dystopia
MortSanglant

Not to butt in, but, what you said there definitely makes sense; I agree.

Haha, it's your topic, you can butt in all you want.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff