Welcome to Gaia! ::

Coffee Stains & Crumpled Paper -- A Writers Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for writers of all kinds. 

Tags: writing, prose, poetry, writers, reading 

Reply Writing Discussion
Need help with a fairy story (yes i know)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which spelling do you prefer??
  Fairy
  Faery
  Fairie
  Faerie
  Other (let me know if you select this one ^L^)
View Results

cre8ive_ovadose

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:22 pm
Okay, first off I'm going to apologize in advance for any typos, spelling mistakes - this keyboard is horrible >.<

So, here's the deal-i-o, I'm thinking of writing a story about fairies but despite having loved them as a child, I don't know many of the fairy legends aside from the Irish one and I was wondering if you guys knew any good places to find out about them and all the little ... hmm, what would you call them? The little things about how to attract them and what to be cautious with about them, I've found a couple of sites but I'd like to broaden my knowledge so I have more possibilities for the story when I start planning and writing.

Thanks for reading guys ^L^ CBL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:05 am
Your best bet is to just search it in google, you're sure to find some cool stuff there. Google never fails ;D

You know, 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' has some cool ideas about faeries and magical creatures, so you might want to check out those books. Only the books though. They made a complete mess of the film...

Vaporeae

cre8ive_ovadose

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:21 am
Vaporeae
Your best bet is to just search it in google, you're sure to find some cool stuff there. Google never fails ;D

You know, 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' has some cool ideas about faeries and magical creatures, so you might want to check out those books. Only the books though. They made a complete mess of the film...

I've done a lot of searching in google but it's hard to differentiate between stuff that would actually be helpful and sites that will have really good information. There was one site I found a couple of years ago that was really good but I can't remember what it was called...

I'll check out those books, I've heard they were good. Thanks for the help though ^L^  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:22 pm
Do you want to do the "straight out of the story book" fairy or something more personal? I haven't read Spiderwick, but many successful fantasy stories makes their own mark of creatures (see Terry Pratchett and Eoin Colfer for example)

If you take material from these altered creatures, people might take notice and think it's a rip-off (happened to me many years ago - I am still ashamed). If you on the other hand think of what you already know, which most likely is the traditional view of fairies (at least in Ireland) and then make your own theories, then you just might create something completely extraordinary.

My own pet peeve is angels and demons/devils. I've spent.... over five years now, building up physical rules, habits and whatnots, just to make them "mine" (extreme egoism - I "own" a whole species *w*)  

abandoned_nr_5448214

Gambino Gaian

cre8ive_ovadose

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:08 pm
The_Witch_Aryllia
Do you want to do the "straight out of the story book" fairy or something more personal? I haven't read Spiderwick, but many successful fantasy stories makes their own mark of creatures (see Terry Pratchett and Eoin Colfer for example)

If you take material from these altered creatures, people might take notice and think it's a rip-off (happened to me many years ago - I am still ashamed). If you on the other hand think of what you already know, which most likely is the traditional view of fairies (at least in Ireland) and then make your own theories, then you just might create something completely extraordinary.

My own pet peeve is angels and demons/devils. I've spent.... over five years now, building up physical rules, habits and whatnots, just to make them "mine" (extreme egoism - I "own" a whole species *w*)

I don't want my fairies to be straight out of a book, I always try to make the creatures in my stories unique somehow. What I'm thinking of doing is combining various legends, myths, whatever you want to call them to make up the fairy lore in this story and then add some of my own ideas to it. I was working with angels and demons but then I got sick of the story line - impressive you've spent more than five years working on it though ^L^ Good job. But yes, I think I need to go and find some sites on fairy lore that isn't a load of bull, thanks for your help though biggrin CBL  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 pm
If you have a few extra dollars dear then please go to Barnes and Noble and buy the book 'The Great Encyclopedia of Faries'.

This was writen by a licenced (sorry for spelling) historian who spent his life digging up the many different kinds of faries all over the world and all the myths that went with them. the book is in the 20-40 USDollar range. Its a bit spendy but it's 200 pages of pure knowlage.  

Gwendoline-the-Dark

Blessed Seeker

6,050 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
Writing Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items