Loosing a Pet Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azusanga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:21 am
Welcome!

Chances are, you've lost something once. Something with more significance then a book or a watch. Something that barks, meows, purrs, or makes very little sound at all. Something with 4 feet, 2, or even none. Maybe it's favorite thing to do was stand next to you, or chew on a squeaky by your feet, or maybe even sleep in your lap. Maybe it's favorite place to perch for a while was on your shoulder, finger, or the top of your head.

By now, you probably know what you lost, and I say that there's nothing easy about this time. People don't often get how hard it is to loose a pet. Some don't even get how hard it is to be in that moment, knowing that they're not coming back. Pets are often like children whom you cannot communicate with- they depend on YOU to care for them, and when they're gone, nothing is the same. So we're here to comfort you, and give you some suggestions to help.

There is no surefire way to deal with the loss of a pet. Some people find it easier to look at pictures and relive the memories in your mind, while others find it easiest to talk about their pet and then bottle up their feelings and try to just get through it. We're here to embrace one another and help each other.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:34 pm
Methods to let go

Sometimes, letting go involves accepting the fact and moving on. Others, it involves an intense distraction to move yourself onto something more mind-numbing and pleasant. Here are a few things that may help you:

Look at photos
Recall memories
Make a bracelet or a necklace from their tags (dog, cat)
Keep a small clipping of their fur in a baggie in a special box (if possible)
Lock away memories and try to keep your composure (yes, this is a strategy)
Write down memories
Write in general
Read books or stories
Sing
Knit
Stare at the ceiling
Cry!
Run until you can't anymore (be warned- best in moderation or done 1-2 hours after a meal)
A new pet
Lay in a spot where they liked to sleep, and imagine what they dreamed about (dog, cat, other free-roamers)

There are tons more, and I just touched base. Nothing feels better then to talk to someone and have them tell you that they're sorry, so be open and accepting to help!

Azusanga

Azusanga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:40 pm
When is it time to say goodbye?

There are no ways to tell for sure, and this is NEVER an easy decision. No one can make it for you, and as a pet owner, it's your duty to think of when the best time would be for it. Here are a few ideas.

When the bad days outnumber the good
When daily pleasures, like eating, walking, or even relieving itself, become a hassle and a pain
When mobility is too limited to get a drink of water when you're not home
When monthly pain medications begin to outnumber your heating bill
When there is obvious suffering that will be long term, even if with extensive treatment
When something is untreatable, and keeping them around would be more painful to them then it would be to die on their own
When lifting their head for a drink is impossible or too hard

I've only started a list, there are MANY MANY more things that can easily be factors. Sometimes, your own decision is the single best one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:23 pm
The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When a cherished pet passes away, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water, and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to heath and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: They each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent, his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend meet, you cling together in joyous reunion.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again acress the beloved head, and you look once more into the adoring eyes of your trusting pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together,

Never again to be separated...

*note: I did not write this. all rights to original author*

Azusanga

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:52 pm
Thanks for posting this.
I've lost a few of my own pets, but I work at a vet clinic. A lot of these animals I've got to see grow up from puppies and kittens. And a lot of these animals I've known since I've been working there.
Just the other day, one of those animals passed away at home and the owners brought her in to be cremated. We cry just as much as the owners do sometimes....

The owners didn't want this dog's bandanna back so I kept it. It's a nice reminder of the dog I loved to take care of and play with so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:30 am
heart

Seawicket

KittyLoverGirl239

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:13 pm
I've lost a few pets...My grandma's cat Handyman...My best friends cat and dog Bunny and Biscut...my hamster princess and my brother's hamster Night. My sister's ferret Taz, and now i am present

Im always worried my bombay cat ruby will run away, because he likes to run out of the house alot. We usually catch him and if we dont we know he comes back cuz he is so fat and knows where food is. then theres my dog Huck....he is 7...I'm worried he is gonna die...... crying  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:15 pm
oh thanks for the advice, i lost a pet just a month ago, it was my brothers puppy but im the one taking good care of it, although he was just with us for two weeks, i grew really close to that little fellow... i would really miss how he would cuddle with me when we sleep (no matter how i push him away he would still end up cuddling beside me) and how he would bark when i get back home crying

thanks really for the advice  

oOFuniPuniOo

Meaty Plush Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm
that is so sweet, thank you.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:56 am
I HAD A DOG WELL USED TO hes names rizla i known him ever since i was born and now well hes gone crying

he used to love me hes in doggy heaven with all the other dogs evreyons taking it hard please please i reallly miss him crying crying crying crying crying  

lenton1

Seawicket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:04 am
••I C R I C K L E••
“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”

Sorry for your loss dear. What kind of dog was he?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:13 am
HE WAS A STAFF A verrrry good one cry cry cry cruy  

lenton1

Mistress Amy Rose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:43 am
Thank goodness I haven't lost my kitty Louie. He is the best thing that ever happened to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 am
I have lost so many pets in my life and after every pet dies I cry sooo much. My dog rocket (14 years old) died a few months ago and it was not of old age witch really made me sad and I was away from home studying abroad and never really said good bye
Also when I went off to Uni my rat The Duchess died and I cried every night for almost 3 months straight. Ever since the day I got her I would hold her. it was odd not having her little self around to dry my tears when i was sad. When I left for Uni I told her that I would see her soon. The first weekend of school I was able to go home but I decided to stay at school and get use to dorm life.... I wish I had gone home. than I could have seen her one last time. I never got the chance to tell her good bye. all I could think about was how cold and lonesome she must have been those last few hours of her life. wonder what she was thinking about. If she was thinking about me, wondering where I was, if I was going to come back... I tor me up so much. She was always there for me when I needed something to lift my spirits and help me carry on... but I felt like I was not there for her.... People at school told me that she was just a rat and it was silly of me to get so attached. You are right, some people don't understand how hard it is to lose a pet, ever if it is just a rodent. You build a relationship with your pets that can never be replaced or forgotten.

Impulsive Priestess

xjewiex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 am
Thank you for this post. Now i can move on....  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff