Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
He couldn't have...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freiflug

Punching Bag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:45 pm
...thought it would remain a secret. My brother KNOWS that I know his Gaia username, so why did I look at a journal entry of his and find that he wanted his sexual orientation to be a secret?

Here are the facts:

I've had a feeling for years that my brother was gay. For a single year, actually, he acted like a major douchebag and was totally against them. Now, over this past year he's made a major turn around and is showing support and always shows interest when I speak of how I'm okay with them. Plus my brother acted strange when I walked him home one day and his friend Bryce followed half-way.

Bryce is the guy mentioned on his profile. Apparently they're madly in love. Also, apparently my brother being gay is a big secret except from a few girls (two of them being our cousins) and the whole of Gaia.

So... it's right there for me to see and I have seen it. What do I do?

Do I talk to my brother about it? I don't want to seem like I'm invading his privacy, but it's hardly a fact of that when it's all in his profile for me and others to see and he's given me his username. Perhaps it's none of my business? He is my brother, and we have the most tolerant family you will ever meet. We have gay uncles, my parents and relatives have gay friends (I'm not sure that he's aware of this). My brother shouldn't have to feel like he needs to hide from such a supportive family.

I want him to be at ease with us, but should I just keep my mouth shut and see if he makes a move to tell our parents?

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum. Dx  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:02 pm
Considering he had a point where he was acting against gays, perhaps he himself isn't completely comfortable with what he is?

I would keep it to myself and let him figure this out on his own. If it's true that your parents tolerate it, I don't think there's any reason to worry.
Knowing people support you doesn't mean that'll make things any easier. It might just be something he has to come to terms with.  

MooMooJuice

Lady Gyrfalcon
Crew

Dapper Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 pm
Could it be possible that he meant for you to see it? It seems highly illogical for him to be attempting to keep his sexuality secret, and yet still tell you his username - I doubt he'd be careless enough to forget that he'd made such a journal entry if he really wanted you to not know.
To use an analogy, it's almost like telling someone where your diary or journal is, leaving it unlocked, and not expecting them to flick through it for even a moment. (If there's one thing I know about people, it's that curiousity is right up there on the list of common character traits.)
So, by my way of thinking, knowing that you could read the journal entry could be a "safe" way for him to allow you to find out about his sexuality - that you'd be able to think it over before talking to him.

When was that particular entry made, do you know? And what's the approximate time between it being made and him telling you his Gaia username? If there doesn't seem to be any connection, it's more likely (though still baffling to me - I would have blanched at the thought of giving my livejournal username to my friends or siblings before coming out) that there's no real link between the two.

Either way (and I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with MooMooJuice on this), I'd suggest that you gently let him know that you're supportive of him, since his change in behaviour suggests that he's come to terms with and accepted his own sexuality.
Even if, as you said, you have a very tolerant family, it's likely he's still afraid that your parents will disapprove - in that case, having a sibling who knows and is alright with it would probably make it much easier for him to relax a bit, and eventually tell your parents.

(Oh, and the Rant and Rave is the perfect subforum for this, so don't worry about that. I'll go ahead and label the topic "Personal", if you don't mind, or you can yourself, although it's more about your brother than anything else.)

Let me know what happens, won't you? I'd really hate to give bad advice, and I suppose I'd like to know if everything goes well for you, your family and him.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:23 am
I can't help you much with the dilemma. I'd say let him come out himself when he's comfortable with it, but...

I love how people think if something is posted on the internet it's a secret rofl .  

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items