Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Weight Loss Diaries and Journals
Ceres's Weight Loss Journal

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Readers-
  +1
  Gold!
View Results

The Moon of Ceres

5,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:33 pm
Because of the recent glitch, which I have named "the time warp glitch" I am re-posting my thread. This was the thread thus far:

The Moon of Ceres
Hello.

I, Ceres, am going to use this journal to keep track of what the heck I'm doing.

This week, Nov. 8, 2009 to Nov. 14, 2009, all I will be doing is drinking more water instead of the sugary drinks I usually drink.

I say more because I'll be drinking 1.5-3 liters everyday.

Every week I'm going to eliminate one of my bad habits.

ol_evil_eye_Riddle_box
Hello, and welcome. Great idea, cutting out the bad stuff one at a time instead of all at once. It makes it easier. good luck with the weight loss. If u need anything, just ask.

Seraphsody
Welcome! Good luck on your weight loss journey!

The Moon of Ceres
Ahem, this sucks. Even though I drank 2 liters of water everyday, I still drank soda. Soda is awesome, and I get really irritated when I don't drink any of it.

Seraphsody
It's not that soda is awesome my dear, it's that you've probably developed a dependence on the sugar. Have you been able to pay attention to when you drink soda the most often? Or when you *always* drink soda?

A good way to get carbonation without all the sugar would be to mix unsweetened fruit juice with sparkling water. That way your brain feels the fizz on your tongue and goes ahhhh... soooodaaaaaa... and calms down.

It might not work for you. What if you just cut it back to one can a day for now rather than trying to quit cold?

The Moon of Ceres
Apparently they're trying to "cut down" because of my sister's high blood pressure. Which, of course, means going cold turkey on a lot of our favorite things. Like soda, steak, and ice cream.

Seraphsody
Oh, well I'm sorry that cutting back gradually isn't going to cut it. But (and I'm sure you know but I'm mostly saying it because I'm surprised myself) it's very serious... *pets*

There are lots of things you can do to make your life healthier without really sacrificing too much. Frozen yogurt tubes are fantastic if you can find ones that aren't very sugary. Frozen yogurt cups are another one... delicious. : P

The best thing I can tell you is that once you cut things out cold turkey it *does* get better. Eventually you don't actually remember what these things taste like, or even better, you can remember and you don't care. I know.

If your sister's blood pressure is bad enough that you guys need to cut out things out of your entire family's diet, you should ask your mom or dad if they need any good recipes that are low fat without meat/cheese/sugar (you said cutting out steak, but eating less sugar and dairy can drastically improve blood pressure and cholesterol as well). It's really hard to do sometimes and a great recipe will really help, I can give you any tips/recipe ideas you want or you could give my email to the person that does the cooking.

Now! I'm not trying to convert you into a vegetarian or anything like that, it just sounds like you're going through a rough time and things that are easy and tasty but still healthy are important for you guys. I'm going into Dietetics as my major for exactly this reason. If you want *any* help at all I'm here and I'm always happy to give advice.

The Moon of Ceres
Okay. If I drink even more water than I do now, will I stop wanting soda so much?

Seraphsody
Do you love water? If you don't love it, then you probably won't. Tea gives a caffeine boost that will help with the caffeine cravings if you liked dark soda. Drinking more water though is very good for you. (though the whole eight glasses with no coffee or tea counting towards thing is a lie, it's eight glasses total with much of the eight glasses coming from the food you eat. It's still great to drink lots of water but not necessary.)

Iconised Ghost
yeah i was going to say it could be the caffeine in soda that you are craving, so you could try to switch to tea. I find myself drinking soda when i'm bored as well, so that might be something to address. You could always try switching to diet soda at first, and then gradually work that out as well if you want to. I've also found that sometimes a cordial will work for me- i have a lemon/lime concentrate thinger, you know you jsut add water to about 1cm in the bottom of your glass, it adds taste to the water, and its around 10cal or something. Or you can always add real lemon juice if you want lol xD

Seraphsody
Fun fact, diet soda, actually worse. The sugar alternatives are so sugary that you actually develop a dependence on sugar even more than with regular soda.

Iconised Ghost
wouldnt that be a dependence on the sugar alternatives?

Seraphsody
It's the same thing really, it would be a dependence on sugar alternatives if only sugar alternatives would fill the fix. But the extreme sweetness of the sugar alternatives alters what you think is sweet when you drink them. And so if you want sugar, you'll want more sugar. And we all want sugar fairly frequently because like oil and salt, sugar is something that people want pretty much by default.

__penguin__
I dunno, drinking water is how I stopped drinking soda. I was never really addicted to soda in the first place, though... it was more, I was raised having a soda at every meal, so I just kept doing it. Then one day (probably around the time I joined this guild xd ) I was like, psh, soda isn't that great, I don't need it! And I started drinking more water every day instead. You get to a point where water is the only thing that really quenches your thirst. I still love (fresh squeezed) fruit juice, but the only thing I ever want to drink when I'm thirsty now is water (even though sometimes I used to go "I'm thirsty... ooh, soda!").

I recommend bringing a bottle of water with you to work/school/whatever every morning. If you drink it throughout the day I think it might keep you from wanting soda.

The Moon of Ceres
Woah, this is weird... I drank three liters of water today, but my mouth still feels dry, and my lips are about to chap... what the heck?!

__penguin__
Oh no, I hope you're not getting sick! gonk That's what happens to me when I start to get sick... I would load up on the Vitamin C if I were you...

But it could be something as simple as the weather being really dry or something. Don't let it discourage you from drinking water :'D

The Moon of Ceres
What?! Sick?! No! I can't get sick! I have rehearsal tomorrow!
Dry? No, it rained today...
I-I'm gonna go drink more water, and eat an orange, and get chapstick, and not do my chores. (I need to "rest", clearly!)

Seraphsody
Taking zinc when you first notice you're getting sick can often help you 'skip' the illness, it boosts your immune system. It's worked for me a few times now,

The Moon of Ceres
I don't think my mom would allow that...

Seraphsody
It's an on the shelf mineral, just have her talk to a pharmacist and ask them about it if you want it, however it's not a big deal, zinc helps but it isn't required.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:35 pm
Alright, it's been way more than a week, and I've gotten used to drinking 1.5 liters of water a day, so I need to eliminate another one of my bad habits: butter.

I love to put butter on my food. Bread, vegetables, potatoes... oh, and also mayonaise, I put that on all my sandwiches that I eat for lunch. And also egg sandwiches that I sometimes eat in the morning. And whenever I have carrots, I use a ton of ranch dressing on them... can't do that either.

The Moon of Ceres

5,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

The Moon of Ceres

5,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:39 am
Tips? Encouragement? Warnings? Come on people, I'm losing motivation. I love putting butter/mayo/ranch on my food, and I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, this is gonna be hard!

Especially since potatoes with tons of butter have always made me feel better since my family moves every three years and I can eat those anywhere, no matter where we move!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:13 am
Calorie... Counting...?

I'm not sure how accurate my BMR is, because it only goes down to 20 and can't go below 5 feet, but I'll use it anyway.

Breakfast:

an egg sandwich with mayonaise.

______

______

______

Lunch:

spaghetti with meat sauce and cheese, cooked w/ olive oil:

______

______

______

_____

(I had two bowls, so...)

only 320 left...

Snack:

kinder chocolate bar from my advent calendar.

_____

(I had that this morning, I forgot to put it in. )

Dinner:

Doesn't look like I can eat much for dinner...

Oh wait, that number isn't right either...
I had some poptarts and a pastry earlier...
Screw this!

The Moon of Ceres

5,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Sunsway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:35 pm
The Moon of Ceres
Tips? Encouragement? Warnings? Come on people, I'm losing motivation.

Noo!! 'kay, I shall be your cheerleader. Just keep that motivation and get through the tough times, it'll get easier as you develop better habits.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:59 pm
No mayo! You don't need it, it's yucky! xd  

__penguin__
Captain

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:14 am
You could try a marg or avocado based spread instead of butter? Its better for your heart, but i forget what its called xp  
Weight Loss Diaries and Journals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games