Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Swooping Hawk Storage/Transport

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pouncey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:29 am
Alright, so over the years I've learned a few things about storing and transporting my models from one place to another. Some have gotten broken, but I've repaired and learned from that.

The Swooping Hawks of the Eldar in Warhammer 40,000 present a problem for me, though. They are large in all three dimensions, and their wings seem quite delicate/easy to fall off.

I've already gotten my Swooping Hawks built - not painted yet, sadly - and they present a problem for me that I'm not quite sure how to remedy and don't really want to experiment with.

How best should I store them in my army cases? Will removing the barrier between two of the holes in the foam present enough room to lie the miniature down on its front with its weapon, or will the pressure of the layers above cause the wings to fall off?

Should I instead remove the barrier between two holes, and the two directly above, and the floor of the two above, to make myself a much larger hole?

Is there anything else I can do with my Swooping Hawks to store and transport them safely?

Should I get used to removing old superglue and regluing the wings on every so often?

Thanks for any help you can provide. : 3

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:33 am
You could always get some cotton wool and pad out the holes with that, then once the model is in, add more cotton wool on top, just to be sure.  

Sir Doober

8,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Pouncey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:34 am
Sir Doober
You could always get some cotton wool and pad out the holes with that, then once the model is in, add more cotton wool on top, just to be sure.

Ah, that would certainly help. Hadn't thought of that. : 3

Thanks! : D  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:35 pm
Mine case after removing single barrier fits even terminators, but it isnt standard GW but local gaming company product. Remember better try less cutting first, if it doesn't work, you can always cut more, but you cant restore what you have cut out...  

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:25 am
carry them separately, but wrap each model in Toilet roll 1st. i have the same problem with some of my more extravagant conversions and this tends to work a treat.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:47 am
Towels work too. There's also a special type of foam for the carrying case, its a bunch of lil cube like things that can be taken out to literally make room for your bigger pieces.  

Dragonzealot

Pouncey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:10 am
Dragonzealot
Towels work too. There's also a special type of foam for the carrying case, its a bunch of lil cube like things that can be taken out to literally make room for your bigger pieces.

I'll have to look into those. : 3

I did find a solution that's not perfect, but seems to work well enough.

I cut out the bottom of individual, err, holes? in an upper layer of foam. This provided enough room to securely fit the Swooping Hawks - standing - while providing enough room so there's not as much pressure on them. For the Exarch, I hollowed out a 2-long 1-wide 2-high area, and placed him in there along with some of the foam I cut out to keep him safe. : D

:: nods to Van Evok ::

Sadly, initially I neglected to test before making cuts, and removed the barriers between several holes of the lower layer. I dunno what I'll do with those... Wait! I could always put my Guardians' heavy weapons platforms in there. : D

And I'm gonna get my hands on some cotton balls at some point this weekend, to replace those pieces of foam that hold the Exarch steady.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:40 am
those customizable trays are in the new green and red army cases they brought out for Christmas.  

Inenor

Pouncey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:51 pm
Inenor
those customizable trays are in the new green and red army cases they brought out for Christmas.

Ahh.

I managed to get my hands on one of those... Twas a Christmas present from my grandmother. : D

It's serving my Guardsmen and a few of their tanks well...

Anyways, I found something that worked well enough. : 3  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff