Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
No Surrender -Closed :( Lock please? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visitors
+1
100%
 100%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 12

no surrender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:14 pm
Due to the workload of year eleven and my need to get good scores, I can no longer maintain this mentoring thread. I'm sorry everyone! Good luck!
I will still be hanging in the mentee forum from time to time.

About me
I'm a student about to complete year 10.
I strongly believe that anyone can learn to draw given practice.
I do traditional art classes, so I have some skill with painting, and I've done several life drawing classes.
My strong points are anatomy (although I still have a lot to learn), colouring and landscapes.
My weaknesses are composition and any animals. I'm also not stong in 1, 2 or 3 point perspective or architecture.

My Gallery
DA

Timezone.
I live in Canberra, so I will be different timing to people in say, America.
GMT / UTC = plus 11 hours

I'm usually online every day, although there will be times I can't get to a computer.

What I like to see in a Mentee;
Passion and a will to learn
An ability to accept constructive critique

Other stuff you'll need to know;
When you post, show me some samples so I can get an idea of your skill level.
I like to set work on a case by case basis, but I'm a big fan of Pose Maniacs, so be prepared :'D
I'll give critiques if you ask for them, even if you are not one of my Mentees, and I'll give redlines too if I have the time.

Mentees:

1. iKusk Muubi
2. ULTAMEW
3.Of Pride And Other Things

What to do...
Everyone is to do
5x 60 second drawings.
1x drawing that makes you inspired and enjoy drawing.

Special Challenge

Quote:
Do a self portrait using more than 5 different colour swatches for the skin.
This tutorial should be very helpful as I have done it and it's a great resource.
There are also some useful links to skin tones there for you.

Resources

60 second drawing
Starting with stick figures.
Best skin tutorial ever

User Image User ImageUser Image User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:51 pm
I'd love to be your mentee.  

Kusk Yutaka

12,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200

no surrender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:08 pm
smile That sounds good. Could you post some pictures so I can get an idea of your skill level?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:43 am
http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc225/kusk55/profile shop/Arts

Idk what your requirements are but my drawing skill isn't that great right now. I'm really dedicated though, and a fast learner.  

Kusk Yutaka

12,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200

no surrender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:45 pm
Don't worry, everyone starts somewhere and that's the hardest part.
Okay, so every day I want you to set aside 10 minutes of drawing practice (it's okay if you can't always do it, just challenge yourself to draw something every day), you may even do this already and if you do more that's even better!

-5x 60 second drawings on Pose Maniac's Here
-1x picture of your choice - it can be anything that you enjoy drawing and makes you excited about art.

Feel free to post anything you want critiqued or redlined.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:20 pm
How exactly do you do the 60 second drawings? Is it just like a rough sketch of it for 60 secs and after the time you stop? Or do you keep going from memory type thing. And would you like me to do more things with pencil and paper or digital?  

Kusk Yutaka

12,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200

BlackAndWhiteIsClassic

4,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:02 pm
Pick meh?
My paintings are way better than my drawings, but I have absolutely no skill. TT
Linkie:
http://artist-werewolf-13.deviantart.com/
There's a reason why they're only headshots.
I cannot do anatomy worth my life.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:44 pm
no surrender
@iKusk Muubi
With the 60 second drawing, the point is to focus on getting the whole form down on paper as quickly as you can. It's an excersise to teach you how to see forms rather than draw symbolicly (or drawing what you know to be there).
Just open up the program and try to draw the pose they display in the 60 seconds. When the pose changes you start drawing the new pose.
Don't throw away these drawings, (they're great fun to see how much you've improved in a months time), if you find something you like, afterwards you can go on to make it a more fully fleshed out piece, but during the time frame just concentrate on getting the picture down. : )
I don't mind what medium you use, it depends on your personal preference and since 60 second drawing is pretty difficult as it is, use the medium you feel most comfortable with.

@Ultamew
I'd love to be your mentor, however I can't really help you with drawing animals. If that's all right I can help you with landscapes and drawing people. I noticed you don't have any drawings of people on your DA, but I'm happy to teach you if you'd like. smile

Haha, its alright that you can't help me with that, my dad has the positon filled sweatdrop
Anyway, i would love help with drawing people. 4laugh  

ULTAMEW

Kusk Yutaka

12,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:24 pm
Alrighty, I got my things done for today. =] Here is my drawing I made, i experimented a little bit differently. I used the blur tool a lot, that's basically all the hair is. The 60 second things were really hard though, I had a tough time with it, and wasn't really sure how much detail your suppose to add. They came out looking more like hybrids between animals and people. The drawing was sketched and colored in sai and i used paper and pencil for the 60 second drawings.
Drawing
The 60 second drawings  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:59 pm
Do we do the same things you told iKusk?  

ULTAMEW

Kusk Yutaka

12,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:31 pm
Woah, If you live in Canberra that means its like 8:30 there right? It's 4:30 here though. So its the 30th for you but the 29th for me. Which means right now I'm talking to you who's in my tomorrow and I'm in your yesterday. o.o That's confusing.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:07 pm
Pose Maniacs 60x5 Here is the pose maniacs thing.
Random Pic And the pic  

ULTAMEW

no surrender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:22 am
Sorry I've been away for a bit guys! D: I had exams, but that's all over now so its'all good. : D

@iKusk
Well done! 60 second drawing is challenging, but if you persevere you'll see results. You don't have to add a great deal of detail, just get the forms down on paper.
As to your drawing, I do like how you've coloured the eyes! They have a nice internal glow. With the rest of your colouring, I think you need to push out the shadows more. There should be shadows above the eyes, to the right of his nose and underneath it, Directly under his lips, and on his top lip, and from his hair. I can see you're going in the right direction, but the artwork needs more dimension.
Keep up the good work. biggrin

@ULTAMEW
Also well done! Try to get as much of the poses as you can on paper, life drawing classes often call this Gestural Drawing, and use it as a warm up before longer poses and such.
Your second piece is also nice. Be careful adding bends into the arms and such, like on his forearm.
I've added a small class on drawing skeletons first so you can position your drawings effectively.

@Of Pride And Other Things
Could you also try doing
5x 60 second drawings and a piece of your own choice. : )
I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Thanks everyone and I'm sorry about the disappearance.
Yes, we here in Australia are living in the future biggrin Lol. It's 10.21pm at the moment. :3  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:34 pm
Alright! Thanks for the help :3  

ULTAMEW

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out