Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
crit and colour help wanted

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chaosmusician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:56 am

User Image
just started a comic I'm calling rubedo
i haven't even finished the character designs yet
anyways this is my front cover
the moonlight that's the main light source is a red glow
a pool of crimson blood
so i need some help with what colours would go well with the rest
using bright red with dark colours is dynamic i know
but since the light source is red id rather avoid it looking retarded
anyway he had brown hair and eyes when he got dressed
but after getting attacked his hair and eyes turned red
mm yeah and just some basic critique
he got attacked by a werewolf btw his wounds have healed
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:38 am

Hey, I will try to offer you a small critique this later tonight. smile I don't really have time to write anything decent at the moment.

A quick question, though... are you just looking for feedback in general or is there a specific topic you want to hear more about?

EDIT: Just the colors scheme?

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:15 am

Okay, well... I guess you didn't have time to check on the thread. But let me see if I can help anyhow.

Overall, I feel like this is a pretty strong sketch. You've got nice, bold lines and the fabric especially is pretty nice looking. I think you can tell that the guy is lying down, not standing up. Or at least, I could.

Quick anatomy bit: The hands look a little too big and his head looks a little too small. His hands should be about the size of his chin to his forehead. The body in general is rather poofed out, and I'm assuming that's because the fabric is on the ground. You could try hinting that his body may not be so bulky when you go in to add color. He can be buff, but if he's too poofed out in all directions, then it'll just look funny. Alternatively, you could make it that the fabric isn't being pulled "evenly". So that at least one part of his body is contoured to the fabric, while the other part is considerably askew. You may already be happy with what you've got, though, so just ignore me. icon_razz.gif

When coloring, and mind you colors aren't totally my strong point, you're gonna wanna make sure the blood red isn't too dominating. I'd use a dark red at best, if you could. Like you were saying, this is supposed to be nighttime. If you make it super bright, it's gonna take away from the rest of the piece. You could almost paint it black and then just add dark red highlights if you want. Experiment a little at first, if possible. As for what the guy is wearing, I think you could get away with a business type suit. He's already wearing a tie, so an off-white/white shirt would be good. Pants could either be black or dark gray. You could play with the color of the tie and cell phone a bit, as there's no real definite answer.

Alright, well.. hope that's helpful. I think you're off to a great start!
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games