Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
tips on drawing real-life portraits...help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

squirrel17

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:37 pm
okay, so in my art class im drawing a portrait of Toby Keith...just to finally prove to my art teacher that i CAN draw! butl i have a few problems with his face such as his nose..when i draw it it looks mishapen and terrible..any tips on perfecting a portrait?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:49 pm
I can't really help unless I can see it. But I'm sure they have people who help without seeing it so.. I hope you get your help before your portrait is due.
But if you like I can tell you how my teacher showed us how to, and basically it all up to how well you can observe and draw-- without tracing of course ^_^

Oh and try not to make the same topic twice

Luna Kitsune Kasumi

4,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:17 am
First, when your drawing like that you have to draw what you see. EXACTLY. what. you. see. and not make symbols based on what you think a nose looks like.

And in my art class my teacher taught us to measure the features. Like, measure how wide or long the nose is compared to some other part of the face and how far down or high the nose is. May I ask why your teacher isn't helping? Sure you can't draw, but that's what the teacher is supposed to be there for.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 am
thank you so much for the advice! and i have to say, the picture is a whole lot better!!! when my teacher gets done grading it ill put it on here.

by the way, i didnt mean to put in the post twice.....i have a habit of double-clicking and my computer put in the topic twice...  

squirrel17

jessicurr14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 pm
in addition to measuring the proportions, you should also always remember with drawing portraits, when you draw the nose, you use value, not line. i've drawn 2 portraits, & i'm getting ready to draw a self portrait. i'm still learning alot too, so i'm sure you got it pretty good. razz i've been in art for 3 years so if you have any questions feel free to ask. (:  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games