Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Critiques please!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ophelia_Elaine_Rose

4,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Critiques please!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:30 pm

dabunny158.deviantart.com
Thank you!

One of my fav paintings (oil pastels) Critique it!!!!!!!!
Deviantart.com

Ophelia_Elaine_Rose

4,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:52 pm

*inhales deeply*
you need to draw from life. a lot.
That doesn't look like a real flower. This is a flower. Your drawing is an idea of a flower. It's what you simplify a flower to being, not what it actually is. To stylize correctly, you have to know what actual flowers look like, for example this is a drawing of a lotus flower that is stylized. You can still tell it's a lotus flower because the shape is right, and the important details are still there.

tl;dr: draw from life, then stylize.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:06 pm

The Titanium Spork
*inhales deeply*
you need to draw from life. a lot.
That doesn't look like a real flower. This is a flower. Your drawing is an idea of a flower. It's what you simplify a flower to being, not what it actually is. To stylize correctly, you have to know what actual flowers look like, for example this is a drawing of a lotus flower that is stylized. You can still tell it's a lotus flower because the shape is right, and the important details are still there.

tl;dr: draw from life, then stylize.

^^ I do realize that smile that is actually my huge problem. I cannot draw realistically. I have always drawn abstract things from my own little world and I do see where you are coming from. Thank you for pointing out the problem smile

Ophelia_Elaine_Rose

4,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Yeah, no. Picasso learned to paint realistically before abstractly. By knowing what's actually there, he could pick up on what he wanted to emphasize. I mean, I draw from life all the time. I'd never post any of my realism online because it's bad, but the fact that I'm drawing means I'm observing, and that's key.
When you're sitting, bored in class, figure out how people's muscles fit together, how hair flows, how their clothing fits their shape, and how you would draw all of that. That is the virtue of life drawing, not the actual drawings that result directly.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Just to emphasize what titanium spork is saying, You don't necessarily have to be super awsome at the moment but you should get to a point were you can SEE qualities of figures, objects, and compositions and keep them in mind no matter how you draw.

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items