Submit

Lady Vendetta Iceflame

Sweet Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:38 pm
Okay, so- I'm trawling through the goth forum, adding my two cents to the topics I understand, and I look around- then a thought hits me "I may not even BE goth, so what the heck am I doing here?!"

I've always considered myself goth, but then I realise... I know nothing about literature, music, art, subgenres of goth, nothing! I'm feeling like I should stop calling myself goth and yanking myself out of here, then maybe finding my REAL identity... or maybe I am and just need to spend some time brushing up on these things? I feel like I may be more of a metalhead, minus the drugs... I feel like I could be a gothic metal girl, but I'm not sure. I feel like a fake, a poser who just werars a lot of black and red, and goes around saying I'm a goth... I don't know.
I'm seriously confused and hurting as this is how I've seen myself for going on seven years now...

Either way, I just have to know: goth or not? An honest opinion would be really helpful here...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:49 pm
Goth isn't an identity, it's a musical subculture.
I can't stress this enough.

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:53 pm
Learn about the Goth culture, and decide if you want to be part of it. If you do, fantastic. If you don't, awesome.

goth.net is a pretty basic resource.

I guess you might be labeled a "Baby Bat", or something like that? It can either be a condescending or cutesy term depending on who says it.

Above all, however, I think one should identify with oneself foremost. You know, the whole, "I am me and screw whatever anyone else says, I am above that" mentality. Labels like "Goth", "Poser", "Metal Head" or what-have-you seem to distract people from this.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 pm
The Spirit of Vengeance

What he said.

And what's with the need to label yourself?
You're a human. You're the person behind the avatar VampireAngelKiss. You're YOU. Who cares what "genre" of person you fit under. That's bullshit.

MortSanglant

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:07 pm
the truth? I doesn't really matter at all.....

Just be who you want to be, and be comfortable with yourself however you choose to portray yourself....

it sort of boils down to a Yoda moment "be...or be not, there is no try..."

who cares if you're a white light fluff bunny with a buffy complex, or the darkest demon of purgatory inside...the point, young one, is to do and be those things that make you the most happiest in this realm of existance...

I mean, you must have "some" dark tendencies to be interested enough to join this guild....have fun, don't worry about it, and enjoy the moments...  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:15 pm
I don't know... I guess I never rose above the whole labels thing after being labeled so much for so long... it's like I can't be me, because there isn't a me to be of that makes any sense... but this does help a lot, thanks guys -hugs or highfives- I don't know if I can just say "Screw the labels, I'm me" because I don't know how, to be honest...  

Lady Vendetta Iceflame

Sweet Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Noble Shade 100

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:30 pm
MortSanglant
The Spirit of Vengeance

What he said.

And what's with the need to label yourself?
You're a human. You're the person behind the avatar VampireAngelKiss. You're YOU. Who cares what "genre" of person you fit under. That's bullshit.
What she said.
This video a friend of mine from VF made pretty much sums up what I think of the whole "non-goths calling themselves goth" thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 pm
I could offer some Star Wars quotes, Beatles lyrics, and some principles from Eastern philosophy if you need them. wink

Seriously now though... :

It's a process, coming to terms with you who are and your identity. Maybe when you're younger you think that you need to fit into a category, and when you get older maybe you realize that that category just isn't you, and maybe later you'll decide that being part of a fixed group isn't important to you or you don't care, or maybe it is. You're going to probably change and reshape your identity many times over in your life, and you don't need to fit into a label every single time or at all. Maybe you'll find at some point that the thing you thought you were really wasn't what you thought it was.

Just "be..."

Try not to let labels worry you, as they seem to only work best for grocery products.

Hey, you can still be a part of our guild anyways. smile  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Lady Vendetta Iceflame

Sweet Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm
Reading what I've read insofar, I'm glad I have so much support from you guys smile I've been doing some thinking, and well... other people shouldn't define me... only I can, right? Thanks guys!  
Life Issues & Fashion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games