Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:46 pm
Has anyone read the books Graceling or Fire by Cashore? I just finished Graceling and it was quite good. I enjoyed seeing Katsa character growth throughout the book.

Graceling
Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight - she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug. She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po. She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace - or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone. With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.

Fire
She is the last of her kind...

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.

Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don't need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven't, you'll be dying to read it next.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:11 pm
It popped up in my Amazon recommendations, and I've been wanting to get it for a while, but I don't want to get it in hardcover. XD Is it out in paperback now?  

NightIntent
Captain

Suta_Hisui

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 pm
I'm sure Graceling's out in paperback ('twas an awesome book!!), since it's companion's out in hardcover. I'm finishing up Fire right now, and while it doesn't have the same characters in it as Graceling, it's just as good, if not better. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:23 pm
I got it in trade paperback ( stare but it was on sale), mass market paperback should be out by now.

I have a burning desire to go out and get Fire now, right now.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Suta_Hisui

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:34 pm
Maze353
I got it in trade paperback ( stare but it was on sale), mass market paperback should be out by now.

No pun intended, I'm sure. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:55 pm
Suta_Hisui
Maze353

No pun intended, I'm sure. wink

Oh, nope, none at all. xd  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Little Nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:09 pm
I work in a book store so, I got the first copy of Graceling when it came in. I absolutely loved it and was dying for Fire to come out, but now that it has I have so many other books to read and school work to do that I had to stop a couple chapters in. I'm easily distracted by books especially if they are in a series that I am currently reading. So, I have been unable to finish Fire crying And at the moment I am currently being forced to finish reading Tempted in the House of Night series before the 18th otherwise I'll be told who dies in it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm
I finally got ahold of Fire and I have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Graceling. The plot was good and the story interesting but Fire herself was just too whiny for my taste. She seemed to be crying all the time.

That and the authour didn't do her research very well. Some of the scenes she described and things happening were totally inaccurate. For example, being shot with most types of guns will not knock you backwards several feet, so there is no way being shot by and arrow will knock you down. Little things like that throughout the book kind of dulled my enjoyment of it.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 pm
She published a stand alone sequel to Graceling titled Bitterblue. Hopefully it'll be more like Graceling and not Fire.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games